“Tough chicken”

Ranked #22 of 746 Restaurants in Melaka
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The rice is fragrant, not the rice ball. Chicken meat is the toughest i've ever had. For couple visiting, just order meal for 2. They will try to sell you half chicken, not worth.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

This restaurant along with Chung Wah are the two recommended places to eat chicken rice ball. The settings in this restaurant are more pleasant and there was a smaller queue which didn't involve standing unshaded next to the road, this is why we chose Hoe Kee. Although the rice balls were soft and tasty (unlike some from other restaurants), it was nothing special and far inferior to the rice served with ordinary Hainan chicken rice, of which this is a variant. The chicken was better, and was tender and tasty. There is also no menu, and they will bring you a portion of chicken plus rice and rice balls depending on the size of your party. Price wise, it is cheap. However, being a big fan of Hainan chicken rice, I found it very disappointing.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

There was still a queue when we arrived at almost 3 p.m. but it wasn't much of a wait as the queue moved quickly.

We didn't like the rice balls as the texture was kinda weird and not as flavourful as the plate of chicken rice that was served as well. The chicken was quite tender, fairly tasty but too bony to our liking. Service was prompt and friendly.

Overall, the dining experience was pleasant but the food was not that spectacular and probably not a place where I would travel and queue up for again.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

LOVE this! We went at 1plus on a weekday and there wasn't a queue at all. We were seated immediately and served really quickly. I love the ambience... it's like from some old-style chinese martial arts movie. The benches are really tiny, in case you have a big butt like mine. The chicken rice was delicious. We paid 19MYR for both of us - chicken, rice balls and vegetables.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

The quality of food at this joint is average at best in my opinion. I am a hygienic freak. I tend to observe the cleanliness and hygiene of the places i eat at and of the chefs/waiters at these places. What I was disgusted with was that I saw a waiter collecting unfinished rice balls from tables and putting them on the table where the food is prepared for new customer orders. I hope they are not recycling these left over rice balls to new customers.

The only plus for this place is the old world feel in this restaurant.

2  Thank dnsy