“I will never go back there again for the laksa!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Seating, Takeout
Penang Island, Malaysia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I will never go back there again for the laksa!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Went there with my family 2 months ago, and as expected we waited for the long queue and the table, and we ate with all eyes on us from people waiting to be sitted (not a complaint as these were expected) . However just before all of us finished the food, the waiter (chinese male in his early 20s I think) came over to pick up dishes that we finished already, very 'efficient' and he spilled his stacks of laksa bowls over my dad who was still eating his chendol that time! ok, he didn't do that on purpose but what he did was, he said a quick 'sorry' without eye contact, continue to wipe the table quickly and left for other table. Not even bothered to check if my dad was ok from his mistake! Horrible, my dad's top, pants and shoes were dirty from that and he had to throw his camera bag away when we got back because it got mouldy from the spill. The guy didn't even offer a cloth or even tissues for him to wipe down. We were not malacca locals and my dad didnt bring extra cloth with him for that day, so he just walked around in that same clothes. When we went to tell the 'tauke niong' she just said, 'sorry, he didn't do it on purpose' FULL STOP. Then when my dad asked what is she going to do about this,she looked irritated and said if we want, she can wash my dad's clothes and bag for him since she had her washing machine behind the house anyway. WTH!
ok so this review will not affect her business anyway, the queue outside is still long and money continue pouring in for her. But the lack of humanism and the money oriented attitude make me refuse to go back there again. There are equally good if not better assam laksa and chendol elsewhere anyway.

• Visited August 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
“Chendol with gula Melaka”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

There is always a long queue outside. You will need to order your food fom outside then bring your food in the restaurant and eat. it is all self service. There is actually 2 sections inside so quite a number seats.

I have tried their Assam laksa. Not bad actually, their thick bee hoon is smooth and chewy but I still prefer Penang style for the soup.

I think their Chendol is special because of the thick gull Melaka (coconut sugar) and the shave ice is very fine like snow. I finished up the whole bowl.

I will be back to try their red bean ice kachang next time.

Los Angeles
“Crowded but food is great and decor is eclectic fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

The famous Jonker 88 delivers good laksa in an eclectically socialist decorated restaurant. It's all self-service and the lines can be long, but the tables turn over quickly and the staff clear the tables even faster! The service isn't a strong point here as it's designed to be a high turn over place.
The laksa (I've tried 3 different ones) as very good, with good tasting ingredients and a sizeable portion. I like the Baba chicken laksa best personally.
The restaurant itself is eclectically decorated with maoist pictures everywhere while there's playing a buddhist sermon on the TV. It's the only place I've seen Mao, Mona Lisa and Bruce Lee posters sharing the same wall.

Melaka, Malaysia
“Won't be going back.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

People go there for the laksa. But as for the environment, its a bit uncomfortable. The tables are mostly made of wood and some of them are old. They smell really bad after they get wet and damp. Try eating with the smell is REALLY bad. Its crowded almost everyday. (no surprise)

Visited August 2012
KL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just sweetened ice, no taste of chendol”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

too few chendol, that's why did not have taste of it. No giant groundnuts, taste normal rm3.50 is too much over priced. Penang Mccalister road's Chendol still the best, almost full bowl of big tasty chendol.

• 2 of 5 bubbles