“Fantastic host and food top garden”

Ringo's Foyer Guest House
Ranked #5 of 121 Specialty Lodging in Melaka
perth
“Fantastic host and food top garden”
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Ringo's foyer guesthouse is one of those guesthouses that has its own personal charm and character to set it aside from the rest. The rooms and the free breakfast are very basic but what you would expect from the price. What sets Ringo's apart is the owner/operator Howard. He takes people on free cycling tours around the city with his little boom box attached to his bike to cheap and good eaterys encouraging you to meet and eat with new people. He will also invite you along to local pubs and drink with local people and he also hosts BBQ's on his cosy little rooftop bar. I have been to this hostel many times and it's no surprise that I see the same people poping back in and passing through. In my last few visits I have seen a fire twirler/snake handler on the rooftop bar, been on a 25km ride around Malaka in Howard's bicycle "foldies" club, sung karaoke with random locals and met a magician who blew my mind. A visit to Ringo's Foyer is always one to remember and to enjoy. Advice - don't be shy and join in with the Randomness that Howard will surely create.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I took a bus from LCCT to Melaka and arrive Melaka at 4 a.m, so that I have overnight at Melaka Sentral. In the morning, I take a bus to go to center. However, I could not walk to visit Melake because I have no sleep in Melaka Sentral. I went to Ringo- the hostel I booked via booking.com. Wow, I found the greetings in some languages including in Vietnamese. Howard, the owner is very friendly and helpful. Because the check-in time is 12 a.m, so that Howard said that I could make a sleep in the sofa after using the bathroom. After sleeping, I checked in and Mr. Howard showed me the way to the rofftop. I met some other guests from Indonesia, Korea and Canada. The roof-top was so romantic. I wished I have had more time to sunbathe with sun, wind or chat with others. The rain made me come back Ringo soon. I met Janet, Young Hee again, then we decided to ride bicycle together at 7p.m. We including Howard went out for dinner on bikes. He gave us to local food. It was very delicious. After riding along the river, we came back guest house and joined the birthday party of an Indonesian girl. Howard asked me the plan for the 2nd morning. I also have never stayed anywhere where someone takes so much interest in your trip and also your stay. Back to my room, I sleeped well in a clean room, no traffic noisenice. The morning, I woke up early and ride bicycle to visit Potugies Settelement as well as Chitty Village. Check out the guest house, it is so regret because I did not see Howard. The house-keeper made a phone call and I can speak to Howard. Howard free for me the money of bike maybe because I am a Vietnamese girl who travel alone. The house-keeper gave me a gift- a towel. Goodbye Ringo! Goodbye Melaka. Thanks you all!
Good location: close to center, no traffic noise, good price and wifi, great rooftop and great owner, great staff.
Great hostel to stay in Melaka.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Our stay here was excellent. The hostel itself is really well laid out with several quiet communal areas and a wonderful roof top that catches the breeze. It is decorated in a way that makes it feel homely rather than the stark or stereotypical 'crazy/party/cool traveller' theme that so many hostels opt for nowadays. It was also quiet thanks a to its location and its layout.

The main reason that this place is great is Howard, the owner. I have never stayed anywhere where someone takes so much interest in your trip and also your stay. Instantly introduced to other guests to break the ice, several of us then went out with Howard for dinner on bikes. It is great to get an insiders perspective and it is clear that he enjoys the company and stories of his guests whilst also enjoying sharing his own.

Do yourself a favour and stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Ulm, Germany
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

nice place to stay, close to city, no traffic noisenice rooms, especially the rooftop with great view. The nice owner Howard makes a lot to show you the city. If you go to Melaka you shouldn't miss this place.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay when you visit Malaka! Why? The owner, Howerd, is very friendly and helpful. The guesthouse is clean and looks nice. Good location, price and wifi. And an overall good vibe. One of the best guesthouses that we found so far!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed at Ringos Foyer in November, only wanting to stay a few days but in the end I stayed 9 days and was really sad to leave.
Howard is one amazing host, he took us out every night on bike trips around town and to dinner at really wonderful places.
After my travelling plans had changed I returned back to Ringos and it was like coming home. This time again,I only wanted to spend a few days to make new plans and stayed, 11 days.
The rooms are nothing special, but then again, you don`t spend the days in your room, you only sleep there.;)
There is a wonderful roof top "garden" which is really cozy and a great place for some moments alone in the morning with a coffee :)
If it is raining, just ask Howard if he has a movie or two to watch ...

Either you love Ringos or you don`t ... but it became my home away from home.
Thank-you Howard for being such a great host.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We originally were going to spend 2 nights here but ended up staying 3. The rooms and breakfast are very basic but the place is clean. The owner is very nice and extremely helpful. Every night he organises trips to local restaurants and markets for dinner. Very good fun! There is a nice rooftop chill out area. Every time someone new arrives at the hostel the owner introduces them to all the guests which is a nice touch.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple