“Good service, meet people, can be loud”

Ringo's Foyer Guest House
Ranked #5 of 123 Specialty Lodging in Melaka
Hannover
“Good service, meet people, can be loud”
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We were in Ringo's for three nights. I had expected an attached bathroom (by my fault) which Ringo's does not offer. Location is not very central but OK. Bathrooms are always flooded but this is standard in Malaysia. During check-in the guy showed us our double room directly besides the video room with very loud video sound in our room. We asked for another room but he said video would only be during days, not at night. This was not true as we heard Pulp Fiction until 11:30 PM which was quite uncomfortable. When we forgot our passports in the room the reception guy (Sam) was very helpful and contacted me via facebook (although only knowing my name and country).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We had a pretty good experience at Ringo's. Howard, the owner, is super friendly and makes it very easy to get to know everyone at the hostel, which makes for a very friendly atmosphere. He also organizes BBQs, dinners out, that sort of thing, and helped us buy our sim cards. And I think he also rents out bikes.

The place itself has many amenities: a nice rooftop area where we had a BBQ, hot water, free wifi, some air conditioned rooms, free drinking water/tea/coffee, a book exchange, and a TV. Our room was very clean. The location is great - very close to Chinatown.

Now for my complaints: the bed was one of the most uncomfortable beds I've ever slept in, with springs poking out everywhere, and a very lumpy pillow. We had to pile 2 towels and a blanket on the mattress or else we couldn't sleep at all. It was a bit noisy, but wasn't too bad with ear plugs.

Overall I'd recommend this place if you're looking for a good vibe, but not if you want comfort.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Friendly and helpful staff. Too bad they were not very available and often there was no-one at the reception desk. Which makes check-out quite difficult.
The rooms were clean but noise from the lobby and surrounding rooms easily penetrated the thin cardboard walls. Another drawback was that there was only one hot shower in the guesthouse, resulting in queing !
We found it handy that the guesthouse rented out bikes to tour Melaka and the place had a spacious roof terrace.
Ringo's is a great place for socializing with fellow backpackers but don't expect too much comfort.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Ringo's hostel really made my trip to Malacca.

I'm in my mid-30s now and I travel a lot for business. At this point, when I choose to stay at a hostel, I'm doing so so that I can meet people and get a little more personal introduction to a town. My husband wasn't able to join me on my weekend trip to Malacca, so I headed to Ringo's. And it totally fit the bill.

Howard, the owner, is a great connector of people. He introduces all his guests to each other, helps gather a group for dinners/breakfasts, and is great to talk with about Malacca and the rest of the region. A totally genuine guy who's found his niche.

The hostel itself is unremarkable, but tidy. Nice features: wifi, rooms with aircon avail, tea/coffee, roof with tables/chairs.

I wouldn't recommend the place to someone looking for luxury, but it's a great trip for a solo traveller.

Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Great Hostel, great people and cool staff. Every hostel should be like this. From now on I want bikes, rooftop bbqs and dinner guiding everywhere. + first real clean laundry in months... Howard, Sam & Trace keep it cool.

• Stayed January 2011
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Ringo's foyer is an average backpacker for backpackers who are not expecting too much. On the upside, the location is close to jonker street and walking distance to the A Famosa fortress. The street where the inn is at is commonly used so you eating places and convenience stores are really near. However, due to this reason, you can hear old chinese folks wailing on their karaoke-ing machine on weekend nights and the streets dont look too welcoming (however, i spent the whole night out one time and i managed to not get mugged or anything). In regards to the stay itself, some of the beds have bed bugs, the shower room isnt sparkling clean, there's only one computer for the internet (and it's not free), and the staffs are helpful but not so friendly. However, ringo has an awesome rooftop leisure area with bbq pit and nice open air to chill with your friends or meet other travelers. Provided it's not raining and you have enough mosquito repellant.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 26, 2010

The place is located in a horrible street just outside china town. The place looked fine when we arrived, it was late and we were tired so we took the room to realize later that it was filthy, I don't think they clean the bathrooms in a regular basis. You are brushing your teeth and holding your breath so you don't have to smell the pee scent. They have a nice terrace to chill out but all the furniture is absolutely disgusting so you don't really feel like relaxing while sitting there.
They over charged us also!
I don't recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends