“Worst experience ever! Avoid at all costs.”
Review of Kota Lodge

and 1 more site!
Kota Lodge
Ranked #50 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
Canada
“Worst experience ever! Avoid at all costs.”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We noticed the room was full of ants after we checked in. We politely notified the lady at reception and her solution was to give us a bottle of bug killer spray to spray the room. After spraying, the chemical smell was soooo strong we felt sick. We went out the whole day and only returned at around 2am but the chemical smell was still pretty strong. Smelling in these fumes is really damaging to a person's health.

After we sprayed and noticed how strong the smell was, we had asked if we can switch rooms. We were not asking for an upgrade, simply a change in similar room. She replied that we want cheap room so that's what we get and that all similar rooms were booked. She told us to pay more to get a better room because the more expensive rooms had no ants. What kind of answer is that? We checked out the more expensive room and there were ants as well. She made it seem like it was our problem by saying " Why you afraid of ants?" We should've known something was wrong right when we arrived. She started to sell us an upgrade right when we walked in. I don't even think there was anyone else staying at the hotel that night. I didn't see or hear a single person. In the end, we didn't get a room change nor did we get a refund.

I have travelled many places and have paid for cheap and expensive rooms. I did not expect much for what I paid for the room. All I expected was a clean room with a bed and attached toilet/shower. I had read a few reviews on TripAdvisor and most were positive. This hotel is ranked in the top 1/4 of the hotels in Melaka. Oh please! Don't be fooled.

We stayed outside the hotel and didn't even sleep that night. We treated it as if we paid for a room to store our luggage. As if it couldn't get worse... we asked the hotel owner ( I think it was the owner) to call us a cab early in the morning to get out of there...I'm pretty sure we got ripped off but we just wanted to get out of there...he even tookk a cut from the cab driver right in front of us when the driver arrived!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed in Melakka for one night...and I tried my luck without a reservation @ Kota Lodge. There was a nice single room with a bathroom inside and a balcony available, which I took for 86 ringit. The room is simple, but clean. the aircon is new - it is not noisy, but I preferred to use the ceilling fan. The bathroom is clean as well, the shower works with hot and cold water. The water pressure was good. The room was worth the money.

The location is great - quite close to jonker street and the city center, maybe five minutes by feet. The staff is exraordinary friendly. As irish2012121 I also met the owner and he gave me a little tour through the town and we had a very pleasant conversation.

Room Tip: You probably should prefer a room with its own bathroom
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I booked this guest house two days before our planned arrival through Asia Rooms. When we arrived at about midnight the man working there had not received our booking and we had to wait for him to process it.

He showed us our room, a double with air conditioning. We immediately regretted our choice to stay here. It was more like a prison cell than a guest house room. It was tiny and very old. The lino floor was ripped and pulling away, the paint on the concrete walls was peeling off, the floor was covered in ants and the air con dripped when left on which made such a noise we couldn't sleep. The door was positioned by a window which was so easy to break into it isn't even funny.

The shared bathroom was at least clean but the hot water lasted about 20 seconds before going cold.

The shared living space was very dirty, didn't really even want to sit on the chairs available.

All up we paid 50ringgit for a decidedly average room and checked out first thing the next morning. We went to the ABC Hotel next door which was cheaper and much cleaner.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Melaka hotels

broome
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Budget hotel. No frills but quiet and comfortable and in a good location. Fridge not working and no tea or coffee but had a kettle. A few tea or coffee bags would have been appreciated. Staff were helpful. Enjoyed Melaka and breakfasts at Hari Aum around the corner if you like roti for breakfast,

Room Tip: Need a map to find the place
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Im recently back from travelling but have been meaning to review this place for ages. As a sole traveller arriving in melaka bus station on my own trying to figure out how to get into the centre, i stumbled across the owner of this place who happened to be a pure gentleman. He mentioned he had a hotel in the centre and would be happy to give me a tour of the town and his hotel with no obligation to stay. He and his wife showed me all the best places to eat and visit including the amazing indian near the hotel.
After a long journey on my own, I was so appreciative of his genuine friendliness and hospitality. The hotel itself is very central and well maintained and I had a very pleasant stay there. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting melaka looking for a safe, central, affordable and homely spot. Loved my time in melaka, was one of my favourite places in Malaysia.

Room Tip: Ask the owner for the local food recommendations
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This budget accomodation Kota Lodge is totally value for money for staying in Melaka.You can walk around the major attractions of Melaka as everything is just around the lodge.The charming & friendly lady in the reception just makes you feel so welcome in this foreign land, you feel right @ home:)

Had a great weekend,
Mimi

• Stayed November 2012
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

It's a small and clean lodge, situated in the back streets, near the heritage centre. Recommend it for its location, budget and friendly staff. Near Jonker street with lots of food options nearby.

Had a thoroughly enjoyable experience in Melaka, positively recommend strolling by the river in the evening .... Great photo opportunities ... Overall, it's a different experience than the other places we had visited in Malaysia.

Had an unique experience in the process of finding this hotel! We were wandering in the Melaka central bus stn when we were approached by an relatively old man (Mr. Lee, owner of the lodge) who spoke fluent English. Initially, we were doubtful as he could have been a con man, but his demeanor and openness about the location and also willing to be open about other options and providing us with suggestions as to what we could do during our 1 day in Melaka won us over .... He was also helpful and helped us get tickets to Singapore and by warning us about the lack of seats on Sunday afternoon!

Happy traveling!