“Good choice and location to stay in malacca”
Review of Kota Lodge

Kota Lodge
Ranked #44 of 166 Hotels in Melaka
“Good choice and location to stay in malacca”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed in Kota lodge, which is located in China town. The hotel was inviting with its red curtains. I stayed in a twin bed room with attached bath room. The room was comfy and equipped with basic amenities. There are lots of food restaurants around that area and a convenient 24hour shop just round the corner. I parked my car in front of Kota Lodge and enjoyed myself eating, shopping and visiting around Jonker street , malacca river, queen victoria foutaincand St. Paul hill, during my stay in Kota Lodge

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Meimeija

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Last weekend, I drove up to Malacca with my family and another family friend. We were introduced to this hotel by our friends who previously stayed there.

I would say that the location and the service provided was excellent and the owner is really sincere and friendly. He actually took all 8 of us in his van and drove around Malacca sight seeing.

The price is definitely one of the cheapest in the area and there are local food(malay/india/chinese and even baba food all within walking distance from the hotel. Do not hesitate to ask the hotel manager or owner if you get to see him.

Room Tip: Best rooms are those facing window.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Charles889
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I went on a tour of Malaysia recentley, and decided to write a review of this bad hotel that I stayed in. Firstly we actually met the legendary old man at the bus station, but we didn't stop to talk, since we had already booked at a place, which turned out to be his place, Kota Lodge. So, me and my friend arrive at the hotel, having booked a twin room, we recieved a double room. After complaining to the woman receptionist, we were moved to a small room which had twin beds. It was seriously a closet. NO room at all. Definatley not enough room for a tv or wardrobe. It wasn't that dirty, but you don't get what you pay for. The toilets were dirty. Didn't really feel comfortable showering in it, since the lock was broken. The wifi is very poor. There are no facilities like drinks etc. I didn't really take a liking to the other old man who took over from the woman receptionist. He was pretty rude. It was basically a dump and if I ever return to Melacca I will find somewhere else to stay!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sheriff R

Travelers are raving about these Melaka hotels

Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Same story more or less - great tour of the city in the hotel owners car. Not very clean rooms with e.g. old dirt imprinted in the floor tiles, decent location with walking distance to the night market in chinatown and no breakfast is served in the hotel. We chose a large room with balcony, but the noise from the market outside woke us up early. The cheapest rooms are really, and I mean really small - without windows. You can probably get better deals elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hua Hin, Thailand
Reviewed January 27, 2012

While Kota Lodge is very handy to Jonker street and should have everything going for it it lacks cleanliness.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Mandaluyong, Rizal, Philippines
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I arrived in Melaka Dec. 1, 2011 at 6:30 p.m . Met this old man who is promoting "his hotel" and offered to take me there together with 2 other foreigners for MR 5. He is showing some pictures but I did not really paid much attention. I waited for a long time for the bus going to Makota to arrive. Upon arriving at the Stadhuys-Christ Church wasted no time and took pictures when I noticed it was already late at night and I feel hungry already.. Tried to ask people for some directions since the decorated pedicabs charge MR 15 to 20 and walk instead. I was looking for a place in Bukit Cina but since I am near the direction of Kota Lodge I just went there as indicated in the leaflet given to me by the old man.
The man in charge for that time was nice and helpful the time I checked in for a room that costs MR 40. He gave me direction where to eat - there is a Hawker's Food Center nearby. As I usually do in all travels, I ask for receipt.. he told me to get it from the girl in charge the next day. On the next day before I go sightseeing I paid already for the next day and then I asked for the receipt and was told to get it at the time I will check out.. Since my bus schedule to go back to Singapore will leave at 8 a.m. I have to leave early to assure my prompt arrival in the Central Bus Station. It was 6 a.m. and the man in charge the time I checked in was sleepy. I gave him the key and again asked for the receipt.. He got annoyed and said to me it's my fault why I did not get the receipt from the girl .. I told him I was getting it but was told to get it when I check out. He told me to go back at 9 a.m. to get the receipt and was mad because I disturbed his sleep by my very early departure.
Dismayed, I just left the place and not argue with the ridiculous suggestion to return at 9 a.m.
Regarding the place:(1) As to the location - I find it convenient as it is near a food center, an internet shop, sightseeing locations and near Jonker Street. (2) As to the facility - the common toilet, there is a problem with the flush and the doors need repair. The water pressure is not that strong but can be passed for.(3) The room is average and the air conditioning is acceptable. There is a little noise from some videoke singing nearby. (4) The bed, linen, pillows are ok. (5) I did not bring a laptop or I-pod so Wi-Fi or Internet connection is not my concern at that time.
For the price I paid for my stay compared with the Philippines' rate I should have gotten a more better accommodation than this.. Even so, charge it to experience, I could have just disregard the shortcomings if not for the rude behavior of the man.. For that reason alone I won't stay in that place again if ever I will come back to Melaka.. look for some better place to stay where there is more polite and nice treatment especially to those who are new to their place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Joseph R
melaka
Reviewed August 25, 2011

the owner is such a good liar.everything about this place has negative feel.dirty,rude and very poorly maintained.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple