“Great location, Value for money”
Review of Hallmark Hotel

Hallmark Hotel
Ranked #119 of 169 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Have a go on Hallmark Hotel Melaka after going through all the reviews on tripadvisor. No question ask, value for money and very good location.

Location: Located just 5 minutes walk from jonker walk night market. Although I was in Melaka just for a short business trip, I really appreciate the location of the hotel where I can enjoy the local Cendol with Gula Melaka without having to drive to jonker walk night market. However, there is a Mosque less than 150 meter away, you might be waken up by their morning prayer. There are two local restaurants just next to the hotel offering great local Chinese food at night, delicious and value for money.

Car Park: Parking bay is limited. Few at the front of the hotel while around 10 at the back. A private parking bay just few meter away, charging RM2, if I’m not mistaken

Service: Nothing special. I don’t really care about the service since I’m not staying in a 5 star hotel. Check in ant out was smooth. I’m paying cash since there was one review on this hotel warned about credit card fraud.

Room: For the money that I’m paid (less then RM100), I was expected a very small room. But the deluxe room that I’m staying was spacious and clean. Two single beds are vey comfortable for my standard. A 19 inch LCD offering good choice of local and international channels. Toilet is big and what surprise me was, there is a toilet bowl with cleaning jet!!! Shower is good with manual water heater. Free wifi is provided with acceptable Malaysian speed.Forget about the view since the hotel is just few story high, you will only see other building’s backyard. The only bad that irritate me is the wall is so thin that if you have a noisy neighbor, no way you can get into sleep until they stop.

Breakfast: Very small choice. It was just fried noodle, rice and bread.

I’ll definitely come back for the hotel if I’m in a small budget. To book a room, just call them on [--] instead of book online because you will find yourself paying a lit bit extra of money.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed November 28, 2009

I went there with a bunch of schoolmates for a post-graduation trip.
As we were all only students, we needed a low cost hotel for our extremely low budget.
The rooms are pretty cosy for such a cheap price and Jonkers Street being just less than 5 minutes away was a real plus.
We had 5 people in each room (2 twin beds and one extra bed) and stayed for 2 nights. Our bathroom was leaky but it was okay considering it was only a 2 night stay. The beds were very comfortable. Air conditioning was fairly cool.
The noise coming through the walls from the next room was disturbing but bearable.
The breakfast served was average. Do not expect an American breakfast though.
The lobby area was nice and small. Not bad for a 2 star hotel.
All in all, the location and price makes this the best place to stay for a cheap trip to Melaka.

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank horsewhips
Reviewed October 24, 2009

We are booked here for three nights, and find the 5minute walk to Jl Jonkers and the hundreds of cafes and shops very convenient. Only 15minutes walking to the centre of the heritage zone.and lots of tempting cafes.

The staff were reasonably helpful, and I'm pleased I paid cash and not used my credit card after reading one review. The air con is good and adjustable, but the room had a couple of big faults; 1) the inter-connecting door between the rooms allowed most of the noise through, but gives good satisfaction when kicked loudly at 2am. The toilet dripped loudly and non-stop for three days. One bed light was broken and the other worked intermittently. Why is maintenance such a difficult concept?

The wi-fi is ok, and seemed to get better when complaints were made about the poor signal. Other times we sat in the cafe to check the mail.

My really major gripe was the mattress of the double bed. It still had the plastic cover on it ex-factory, and is so hard it reminded me of my camping days in a tent. I was tossing and turning to avoid pressure on my sholulders through the night.

Breakfast was OK, but no cereal available. Baked beans as usual.

A reasonable place to stay, but looking forward to a soft bed again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank masuk
Reviewed June 19, 2009

My parents, sister & me back to Malacca to visit my grandma at night so choosen this hotel for over-night. We stay in a family suit.
The room with modern, trendy deco & look comfortable. The room is big enough, but the air-cond seem not with enough power. It's warm during the whole night. Because we check-in in the mid-night and experience with the poor service, and it is only one night, so we just take it.
The staff service is very poor, they are not helpful and also talk very rude. I was using my credit card to pay for the deposit. When they return my credit card to me, the staff certainly ask for the last 3 digits of my card. When I ask why after swap my card they still need to number, he said is the company policy. When I was in the room, I still feel not right because this is the 1st time the hotel need the last 3 digits then call to my card center to clarify. The card center advice me to check with the management.
There's no supervisor working at night so I call to the management office again in the early morning. The supervisor confirm that is the company policy, and explain they experience customer dispute the charges before so they do that, then I though should be alright.
This month, when I receive my credit card statement, there are fraud charges of few transaction. Well, I have call my bank & they already credit back the transaction, but I feel is better to alert the rest. I confirm I have not using my card with any online transaction & not giving the card to anyone except this hotel. So PAY BY CASH BUT NOT CREDIT CARD, if you choosen this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank SharonPang
Reviewed June 10, 2009

This is the 1st time we had spent a night at Melaka for holidays as we usually drives back to KL. Upon reading two limited postings on this hotel, i've decided to give it try as the photo depicting the hotel appears to be quite new....

well, upon arriving and checking into the Deluxe Twin room, just realised this hotel is a little bit further from what was initially indicated at Wikimapia road map but still within walking distance to Jonker Walk and to the older part of Melaka....

overall, this hotel appears to be recently renovated with new paints, beds, bathroom and even a new LCD TV with Astro Wah Lai Toi...

the bed and pillows were also fantastic as they offered firm back & neck support...

finally, with a free breakfast thrown in, the stay was worth it where we would return soon for our next Melaka excursion...

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank alamdamai1
Reviewed May 22, 2009

I booked this hotel over the internet based on reviews and well, the budget that we had. Expected a really small room for triple but imagine my surprise when the room was big and spacious even with one double and one single in it.

I'm not sure if it's me, but I find the single bed hard. Maybe I'm not accustomed to it but it gives me the backaches. Amenities in room is good, with a big bathroom (though there's no bath tub but there's ample of space), great tv channels and many nice food and cafe around the area.

Service wise, the people at the hotel are really friendly and did I mention, their breakfast were great? Chinese oriental fried rice but great nevertheless. Since we basically travelled melaka with cab (around 10ringgit per trip), it's easy to get cab drivers back to the hotel since jonker is such a famous street and it's only couple of mins away!

I've been missing melaka and hotel hallmark since I came back, can't wait for the holidays!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank crazyshoots
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Budget hotel that are value for money. Rooms are clean, comfy bed and spacious.
Provide very basic toiletry like 3-in-1 shampoo, towels and papers roll. Breakfast is provided but simple meal.

As mention by earlier reviewer, the hotel provides free WIFI but reception is only good at rooms near the lift. Rooms at corner do have only very weak signal or rather don’t have any at all as it’s always get disconnected. Was very disappointed with them for that as I have requested room near lift but they still give me a room at the corner but its times for them to improve on that WIFI system.

Jonkers Street just located behind the hotel within 15 mins of walking distance. Shell petrol kiosk & 7 eleven is at the left hand side of the hotel. Outdoor public parking is right in front of the hotel.

Staffs are friendly & very helpful. Thumbs ups for them

This is my 1st time staying in this hotel. Will stay there again but must make sure I have a room near the lift for good wifi reception ;p.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank J2820