Hallmark Hotel
Travelocity
$28
$19
  • Restaurant
All reviewsjonker walkinside roomdvd playersmall roomclean bathroombreakfast includedbidetreceptions
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Pretty basic but will give you a bang for your buck (especially since I got to know this hotel due to a Groupon deal!). Rooms are old but improvements have been made (new TV, bathroom fixtures, aircon). Really helpful, knowledgeable, and honest staff (husband forgot his shades at the breakfast area, they returned it). Quite near Jonker walk and a pleasant area - quiet and relaxing. Would recommend to budget travelers

Room Tip: Not so near the elevator since walls are not soundproof, you'd hear anybody moving in and out of there
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank decembermaiden
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stay their during 15-17 March. Go their with my family, we booked this hotel because it is near to the jonker street. Booked a Family Suite Room through Agoda. Reach their around 8 pm. Show them my agoda voucher, they all look shocked, they look like they didn't expect any arrival under agoda. Luckily they still have one family suite room available, so we can check in. When we go the room, the room is big but so hot inside, we open the air corn and we go out to the jonker street, when we come back, the air corn is not cold at all, because the room is too big, only small air corn available, we call and a man come, he just tell us, all the things is like this, the tv not clear is always like this, aircorn not cold also like this, the plug cannot be use also like this liao...LOL..No free mineral water provided, only water dispenser near to the lift, no kettle provided as well. Before we check out, we did booking the shuttle to Bus Central, on that day, they just told us today no shuttle, terrible! After we rounding with their boss, their boss bring us to the Bus Central personally. Finally they have done the great things.. By the way, the chinese girl at the reception did provide me a lot of information I need. In addition, Breakfast Limited choice and plenty of persons looking at u when u take the food...Zzz ..By the ways, two stars...can't demand anymore.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Kwangyu
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Malacca is my hometown and after being away for almost 12 years decided to visit with family and show them all the historical sites including our family home. Booked 2 rooms for 2 nights in mid December 2013 as the location was central and close to my previous family home.

Upon check in was given breakfast voucher for the next day. When I inquired on vouchers for the 2nd day, was informed that I had to come and collect it tomorrow as they could only issue for one day so that they could control and balance the vouchers issued daily; that was their policy. Seemed strange to me as they were more concerned about their internal procedures instead of guest convenience as issuing both vouchers would have made it easier to control.

Requested for connecting rooms which were provided accordingly. Upon checking into room, saw only two towels provided in each room and as had 3 children called reception to ask for another to be sent. Was informed that if required another towel had to pay RM20 per night for it. Reasoned with the staff there were 3 children and had booked 2 rooms for 2 nights, was it really necessary to charge RM20 for the towel, then was informed could be reduced to RM10. Explained that we actually traveled with spare towels and for the price charged we may as well buy new towels....still adamant that had to pay for it. Requested to speak to the Hotel Manager and was informed that he had all ready left for the day. Left message for him to call me the following day......did not call back.

After the phone call, noticed that one bedside lamp on wall was missing with "spoil sign written in Malay on white masking tape" while the other one looked brand new as they did not even remove the plastic (2nd room had both the plastic still on). Room had watermarks and mold on one wall which could be a health hazard. Bathroom had mushroom growing in corner behind door (1 room), mold on bathroom door (both rooms) and hair on floor. Bathroom mirror was damaged and held in place with black electrical tape. TV channels were not tuned properly or not available as listed, torn discarded towel used as bath mat, carpet near bathroom had carpet nail sticking through and we often stepped on it pricking our feet. The children's room mattress divan/bed frame was wooden and due to the narrow space between bed and luggage rack, it caused us to "kick" into the wooden bed frame which was very painful!!! The next morning while we still sleeping in the room (as we had driven for 10 hours to arrive) with the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign on, our room door was open by the Housekeeping maid (foreigner - man) without even knocking on our door! Realizing that the door was latched he quickly closed the door and walked away; and only apologized when I called out to him.

Woke up after that and went down to see what was for breakfast - Chinese Fried Rice, Fried Egg, Chicken Frankfurter (cut in 4), Fried Noodles, Cut Watermelon Fruit, Cordial Juice, Coffee & Tea which was all messed up as a tour group had just left. Staff there were more concerned of collecting vouchers and waiting for the buffet to be closed. After which they started taking food for themselves and were sitting and eating disregarding tables that needed to be cleared....there were also some flies!!! Anyway, did not have breakfast as it totally unappetizing!

Went to Reception later in the afternoon, spoke to a young Chinese girl who said she was in-charge and requested to speak to Hotel Manager since he did not call me back. Was informed his name was Alan and that he was not in the hotel as he was at one of the other sister hotel in Malacca. Asked which hotel and that I would drive there to meet him if he could not meet me here. She telephoned him and then informed me that his instruction was that we still had to pay for the towel if we required it! Of course, this riled me up as he did not even have the courtesy to speak to me personally!!!

I then informed her that I would still like to meet him as it was not only regarding the towel but other matters relating to the hotel. She telephoned him again and informed me that he was actually not in Malacca but at a sister hotel in Johor Baru and would be back two days later.....conveniently after we had checked out.

The hotel is old, rundown has safety issues as there were stacks of chairs in the passage to the emergency exit staircase. The general attitude is that they could not care less, not friendly, sincere nor attentive and not customer service oriented......can't blame the staff as the Hotel Manager Alan himself leads by this example.

As someone who grew up in Malacca and was trying to show family the sights, the experience in this hotel was a big disappointment and marred part of the holiday. As a hotelier myself this hotel is an embarrassment to the efforts of tourism in promoting Malacca.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank FplusV
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Booked into this place for the 2nd time and it was with my family,simply cos other hotels were booked up and the rest of us were staying at Aldy Hotel.

The check in was fast and no deposit required for the room,as we booked through Agoda.The staff seem new and looked anxious so check in was slightly slow this time.Parking can be a hassle if you have a huge car its quite difficult to manouver and park at the hotel's parking at the back lane,they shud get rid of that rusty steel box to make it easier to park.If you cant do all the stunts that me and my brother did for 30 mins, you can always opt to pay RM 3 and park just opposite at a vacant parking lot,at your own risk.

Jonker's street is just about 80 metres away and you can walk to reach there by foot.Otherwise to drive out for food can be a bit of a hassle especially on Saturday nights,just grab your dinner at Jonker's itself to make life easier.Breakfast is simple with nasi lemak and mee goreng with other items.This is a budget hotel,and the room size can vary from a large one to a small one,but the bathrooms are clean and the whole room is tidy and spotless.

Will definitely check in at this place again,as have stayed here a few times.O f course if the place is refurbished and upgraded it would be more pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Not recommended. I only stayed here because I arrived late at night and needed a place quickly. Distinctly unfriendly counter staff, acted like they were doing me a big favor by serving me. Default setting: indifference.

The room was actually not too bad except for the stench of cigarettes which also prevades the entire building. No non-smoking rooms available.

Shower worked well, the room had been adequately cleaned but the bed was very hard. Aircon seemed to have one setting: full blast and freezing, so turned it off.

Breakfast was included but a pretty drab affair. The breakfast area is dreary and ill-kempt. Windows and front door are dirty. Malaysian coffee/kopi with horrid artificial creamer, cheap n nasty bread for toast.

Someone with an ounce of ability needs to take over this place and turn it into a real hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo