“Infinitely Infurriating, Far From Being Deliciously Divine”

Teo Soon Loong Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #54 of 757 Restaurants in Melaka
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 21, 2013

5 of us.

Thurs 19 June 2013, we showed up at the outlet at 11am. They only open at 12.30pm. Earliest slot they can give in at 1.30pm. Ok. No worries. I offered " Can I give you my phone number so you can contact me if we can come earlier due to cancellation of reservations etc?" The young man just kept staring at me. Ok. No worries! Ha.

We had called several times prior to 19June. No one took the calls. When asked why .. they said they must have been busy. So why say reservatons is a must? No answer.

1.30pm. We took our seats to get away from the haze & heat. Old Boss-man chided us "Asked you 3 times to come to food display counter to order, No answer from you".

1 of us went to him.Ended up with him pressing orders on us... even when we told him we only wanted oyster noodle and yam dessert. We ended up ordering mango, steamed pomfret fish, stewed duck as well. This forced us to forgo rice.

Old Boss-man was clearly upset when we didnt order vegetable dishes!

Verdict:

The oyster noodle is good but the oysters are now much smaller and much lesser in quantity. They did not give us the sliced garlic to go with this dish. Not cheap!

The pomfret doesn't taste fresh, especially the belly parts. Maybe that is why Old Boss-man insists we finish the gravy, saying it is without msg seasoning. Taking more gravy will drown the down taste of unfresh fish? It was a wallet-draining encounter! Expensive.

The duck is horrible. You have been warned! The gravy is bland and tasteless. The duck pieces are full of skin, fat & bones. This makes the total packge tough and rubbery. You end up chewing but can't swallow what you are trying to eat. This was another wallet massaging experience.. Expensive.

The mango slices have been pre-sliced. They must have been soaked in ice and melted ice water. Part of them looked bruised and tattered with fibres loosening. Some tasted rancid but all the slices served were not sweet enough. Over priced!

Old Boss-man was clearly upset, when at the end of our meal, he tried pushing us to buy the mangoes.When we said "No" he completely ignored us thereafter. Earlier, he was almost always on us ,,, telling us to finish the fish gravy, telling us we should eat everythng served... not have left overs...(to justify his pushing us to order so much food when we told him we had already eaten while waiting for the 1.30pm reservations timing))

The much-over-rated yam paste with pumpkin slice - dessert was bland and not sweet at all. Yet, Old Boss-man kept pushing for us to buy take-away orders ... which we declined & got him upset. Costly nightmare.

I had dined at this restaurant before. It was what the rave reviews say it was. Fantastic. This time round, I have witnessed its sad deterioration.

At our session on 19June, we witnessed several dishes bought into the dining hall with the waiter not knowing which table had ordered them. He had to place the dish on the various tables for all to gawk at, attracting not only glances but bacteria. The dish of an entirely roasted suckling piglet went abegging until one table of diners decided to have it if no one else wanted it. Pathetic.

How can this happen? Because there is no menu in this outlet. Old Boss-man call you to seafood/veggie display counter and decides what you should have. Only he (& sometimes even you don't know) what has been ordered. However, he doesn't always tell the others which order is for which table. The dining area is very compact. Only 1 diner can comfortably go with Old Boss-man to place the order. When orders are in doubt, Old Boss-man's words hold sway because diners tend to give way to the elderly dictator to avoid Old Boss-man throwing tantrums. Old Boss-man's crew avoids communicatin with him. For obvious reasons. No one questions Him. Period.

Another thing. We ordered 1 can of coke which was promptly delivered... not served... just delivered. We had to pull the ring from the can and pour the coke into the glass of ice. Subsequently, we ordered 2 cans of coke from the young waiter. It took us 20 minutes and 5 reminders to get them delivered.

How can this happen? Because Old Boss-man is the ring-master centre stage. Everything revolves around him. If you don't place your order with him, it is not a priority. But if you place your order with Old Boss-man, only he knows what you ordered. Classic Catch 22?

Old Boss-man seems to be arrogrant where he was once justifably proud. While he was once concerned & following up on our dining experience, he is now irritating,imposing and insulting.

Old Boss-man should just fade into the background and enjoy the fruits of his endeavours. Leave the younger generation to find their niche. In any case, there is no need or excuse for Old Boss-man to be so over bearing to his cutomers.

On our part, we will never patronise such a place where the customer is always wronged and the food no longer right.

Reviewers, more forgiving of all the above short-comings, dismissing Old Boss-man as wierd, are doing a great disfavour to the TripAdvisor community. I cheked on recent reviews before going back to this outlet. I was misled, to say the least. I had expected the reviews to be credible.

There are many other eateries vying for my $ and time in Malacca. If you are afraid to dish out
harsh but true reviews, please just don't. It is better that way. Tks.

13  Thank SingaporeViews

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Great food. 2 visit here. Had suckling pig. Oyster noodles. Soft shell crab. Stir fry garlic vegetables. Best dishes in my opinion. Also had the bamboo clam which i thought was not so good.

Surely worth a visit. Not the cheapest in town but good enough to warrant a visit.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Every dish is cleared out within 10 minutes it was served. We had suckling pig, steamed promfret, pork roll, ngoh hiang, stir fry kailan, oyster mee, braised duck and yam paste. We were all full but the food are so delicious that we can't stop eating...

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Just love to come back to this place, though it's pricey, and seat limited, the old owner somehow weird :) We over ordered, but we still love the food! My personal favourite must be the fried oyster noodles which is eaten with raw minced garlic and their special sambal. yum yum... !!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

have read a lot of reviews but there's a few regular place that we always go to when we visit Melaka. This time, we decided to try, we were lucky to have seats with no reservations, were served by the owner - Teochew ah pek. He was delighted to learn that I'm teochew and was so happy that I can communicate with him with that. I sort of aldy read what is good from the reviews and he did intro the oyster noodles... I chose steam pomfret and a veg, plus the orh nee. He said these were enough, no need to order more. Can order later if not enough.
Every dish is so good, even the plain veg. Oyster noodles really surprised me. It really tastes so good. Pomfret was well steamed, we paid rm59 for it, very worth it compared to singapore price.
I was surprised when ah pek told me to finish up the broth from the pomfret, no msg added he said. The Orh nee was so teochew style with no thick coconut cream added. it was just so nicely done. We were so satisfied with the dinner that we booked next day's lunch, before we go back to Spore. We tried the soft shell crab, steam pork ribs with bittergourd and Ngor Hiang. All tastes good. We patronised his mangoes and Orh nee takeaways.

When I posted on my FB, some have tried before and all love the food. Happy find and will definitely go back again. If you have try this place, GO. You will not regret it.
Reservation a must for big groups.

Service - everyone is so courteous and chatty :)