“Best meal in Melaka!”

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Being Teochew, I love my Orh Ni fix! And when I heard about this restaurant I had serious qualms about it as it didnt look very hygienic and small from the outside. But with all the outstanding reviews, I braved myself there with my husband who is also a fan of the chinese desert.

We wanted to just have the desert but ended up having dinner instead. We ordered oyster noodles which was just simply yummy! Sambal potato leaf vegetable which was so fresh and the blend of spicy taste was so good that made us want to order another plate! And the beancurd with minced meat was just pure eggy soft goodness.

Not forgetting the desert which I thought was the smoothest orh ni I have ever tasted and it was actually very healthy tasty. No thick coconut or cream but just pure simple yam puree if I should describe it.

Our bill came up to 33 riggit and boy was it worth it. A simple home cooked meal with lots of love and heart put into it. No pressure was given to us even if we didnt want the mango or other dishes he wanted to recommend us. Service and speed of food was fair.

One thing we felt uncomfortable was hearing that the old man getting your orders(father of the 2 cooks) does not actually know how to cook himself but often claimed he is the one who taught his sons how to make the dishes.

1  Thank RolandPriscilla

Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Tucked away in a little shop off Jonker Walk, the restaurant offers authentic Teo Chew cuisine. Do not expect good ambience as the little place has everything integrated into a 100 sq meters. Ambience aside the food is best in its class and a must try for this who have not tasted authenthic Teo Chew cuisine. The owner, a jovial old man dressed in shorts and a simple Hawaiian tee will entertain you with his sales speech on every other dish available and how nutritious it can be !

2  Thank wandercritique
Reviewed July 23, 2012

It is advisable to reserve a table before going there as it is a small place with about 8 tables. It is air-conditioned but one must walk past the small cooking area first before entering the dining area. The old owner took our order and he stopped us from ordering too much. Taking his advice, we had half steam fish, pork ribs with bitter gourd, stir fried kailan , the oyster noodle and the yummy yam dessert. We also bought two boxes of yam dessert home(18 ringgit for a large box and 9 ringgit for a small box). Mango was complimentary. The old owner was friendly and he went round to talk to the diners. He is fluent in 5 dialects and appears very fit for an 85 years old. We paid 106 ringgit for four of us.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

great food but need advance booking, food standards might be different from time to time, the oyster black noodles, yam dessert, braised bitter guard with pork ribs are my favourites

2  Thank Dylan1980
Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

I make a reservation for lunch , it open it's business at 12:30pm, I try to find the restaurant and make lots of detour and finally found it .. Of course the interior of the restaurant is old but the food was out of this world , it's fantastic .. The service was very good , the owner of the restaurant came to our table and recommmend thier signature dish oyster noodles , yam paste as dessert , a vergetable dish and a fried dish , the bill was rm46.90 including fresh coconut and fresh mango juice as drinks ..the boss(captain) , his sons(the cook) , grandson (cashier)and staff was all very friendly , this is the best food we had in Melaka and I'll definitely come back to this place when I visit Melaka ..