“A fantastic find” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Canacona
London
“A fantastic find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2010

We've just spent a brilliant two weeks at Oceanic. Our room was much larger and more comfortable than we expected with a fantastic veranda. The owners and all the staff were fantastic - friendly and extremely helpful. The location is ideal - a 10 min. walk to lovely Patnem beach and surrounded by lush countryside. We ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel on numerous occasions and the food was among the best we ate in Goa.
We hope to return to Oceanic one day as we had such a happy stay - we really would recommend it to anyone seeking a comfortable, friendly and very well run small hotel. It was exactly what we were after.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

Myself, wife and 2 kids (one 3yrs the other 11 months) have just returned from a 3 week stay at this little gem of a hotel. We had a fantastic time-sitting here back in London, it almost seems like a distant memory. The Oceanic is not directly on the beach but situated about 15-20 mins walk from the lively Palolem beach, 10 mins walk from the quieter Patnem beach . However with kids we often took the easy rickshaw option (about 70p each way to these beaches). However the walk to Patnem is beautiful and easy. The stunning Agonda beach is a 15 minute rickshaw journey (highly recommended if you like quieter less spoilt beaches like we do!).
The location of the Oceanic meant we could take our pick of beaches depending on our mood (or how intense the 3 yr old's nagging was). Palolem is great for restaurants at night, however we tended to use the other 2 beaches in the day-though that's just personal taste. The Oceanic has a great little pool and if you are lucky you will be visited by the local family of monkeys whilst using it.
The staff were fantastic and absolutely love children-therefore I would highly recommend the hotel to those with kids.
The restaurant serves a very tasty selection of Indian and western food-including pasta, beans on toast and the ubiquitous chicken nuggets for the nippers.
Our room was plenty big enough for the 4 of us and we had (the optional) air con, and satellite TV.
Les and Sheila were perfect hosts, made us feel relaxed and 'at home' from day one and were more than willing to answer any questions we had during our stay.
We are already planning our next visit, both to Goa and to The Oceanic.
What else can I say? Highly Recommended!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

We arrived during monsoon season, so the hotel was very quiet. We were the only ones there the majority of our stay! Our room was ready for us upon arrival. It was comfortable, dry and clean. The hotel location is 20 min walk to the beach. We considered moving closer to beach/town, but felt the room and beds were so comfortable that we would stay put. Staff was very helpful but owners were away for the season. Restaurant was good. The hotel staff arranged for a taxi to pick us up at the airport. Taxi and driver were great and at same price as fixed-price taxis from airport. We requested the hotel staff to find driver who could take us into Old Goa for some sight seeing before the 2 hour drive to Palolem. The hotel staff never confirmed this, but the driver was aware of our request and provided us with a great afternoon.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2010

I don't routinely submit reviews but I was inspired to do so by the negative comments of some of the more recent reviews which are simply incomprehensible. We stayed for 18 nights in early April. It should only have been 14 but the volcanic ash cloud intervened and the owners of the hotel hotel could not have been more helpful in terms of letting us use their mobile phones to contact airlines. They also allowed us access to their computer in terms of trying to rearrange our journey home.

We stayed in 3 rooms during the course of our stay because of the need to extend and each of them was comfortable and well decorated with excellent shower facilities. The swimming pool can occasionally get a little crowded with day visitors but I would say that on at least 14 days of 18 our day stay the pool was uncrowded. Even when it became more crowded it was always possible to get a sun-bed and to swim comfortably.

The thing that makes the hotel really special however is the friendliness and willingness to help of the owners and staff. I simply cannot understand the comments in some of the reviews which talk about rudeness and unfriendliness. We have stayed at dozens of hotels all over the world in every category and find the hospitality and helpfulness of all the staff at the oceanic absolutely top-class.

It is true it is a little walk to either Patnem or Palolem beach, but presumably anyone who decides to stay there must be aware of this. In any case the walk to either beach is extremely pleasant through beautiful coconut groves. In addition rickshaws are very cheap as it is hiring a motorbike so the distance is not a problem.

Overall the comfortable rooms, the swimming pool (which is a real rarity in small hotels in India) the friendliness of the staff and the beauty of the gardens surrounding the swimming pool make the oceanic one of our favourite hotels in the world.

The food in the restaurant is also exceptionally good.

If you have the chance to stay there take it!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

I've only just got round to writing my reviews for holidays in 2009 and when I looked up the Oceanic I couldn't believe some of the reviews! My fiance and I stayed at the Oceanic for a week over Christmas and had the most romantic and amazing holiday we have ever had. The staff were fantastic and attentive, nothing was too much trouble. Les and Sheila who run the hotel went out of their way to make sure that our celebration of our engagement was perfect in every single way. I can only assume that any negative reviews are from people who stayed elsewhere and are confused. We loved the Oceanic and have already booked for this December with 4 of our friends!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2010

arrived mid-monsoon to a mouldy smelly wet room. no hot water. miserable night, about an hour after we arrived went to fancy hotel to use internet to find somewhere else in goa to stay, AVOID!!!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank douai86
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

WATCH OUT...

I have just read the reviews of lasolisita and Orrysorry about one of my favourite Indian Hotels and feel I must write to say that I could not DISAGREE more. It appears that "Herr & Frau Hamburg" can agree on a "nice pool, nice garden and excellent breakfasts" but are up in arms about a non-functioning TV. I was there in March and I suspect it was at the same time as I did overhear the appalling way "Frau Hamburg" behaved towards the owner. it was foul-mouthed and abusive. As explained to her and her partner, the problem was not with the TV itself but with the cable. As the "Hamburgs" should know, having visited India before ("our travels") these things can take time, Indian time. By the way, mine didn't work either but I wasn't in Goa to stay in my room and watch TV.
As for "hospitality"...the Goans are renowned for their friendliness and good manners and I found all the staff at the Oceanic to reflect that especially the lovely lady that tidies the garden in the morning.
Regarding the "fraudulent behaviour": There is not a hotel in the world that takes full payment upfront. Credit card details are taken to cover a deposit especially for bookings of more than 1 night. And why, if indeed that was the case, did "Herr Hamburg" agree to pay for everything upfront without seeing the room???
The Oceanic has only 6 rooms and many of it's guests like to head off to the many beaches in the area. The pool was certainly not busy when I was there and the "Sorry, pool is full" was on a sign by the steps to the entrance to the hotel. This was, I imagine, to inform non paying guests that indeed the pool was full!
"Herr Hamburg", your email suggests that someone said it to you personally...unlikely!
The 3rd complaint seems to be about the distance to the beach(es) from the hotel. To Patnem, 700mtrs is a pretty fair guess, a lovely 15 minute walk through palm trees and a few villages...not exactly Everest. And yes Palolem is further and yes the rickshaws cost 50rupees that's about 1.5 Deutsche Marks, .82Euros or 72 pence.
I would like to finish by saying that I suspect the non-functioning TV was an excuse to leave the Oceanic as somewhere cheaper had probably been found. Just a thought.
I have no problem in highly recommending the Oceanic to people travelling on their own or to families. I may be staying there again in June and I am definately staying there again in September for almost 3 weeks.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo