“Dry and Clean room for a monsoon vacation”
Review of Oceanic Hotel

Oceanic Hotel
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Canacona
India
“Dry and Clean room for a monsoon vacation”
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We arrived during monsoon season, so the hotel was very quiet. We were the only ones there the majority of our stay! Our room was ready for us upon arrival. It was comfortable, dry and clean. The hotel location is 20 min walk to the beach. We considered moving closer to beach/town, but felt the room and beds were so comfortable that we would stay put. Staff was very helpful but owners were away for the season. Restaurant was good. The hotel staff arranged for a taxi to pick us up at the airport. Taxi and driver were great and at same price as fixed-price taxis from airport. We requested the hotel staff to find driver who could take us into Old Goa for some sight seeing before the 2 hour drive to Palolem. The hotel staff never confirmed this, but the driver was aware of our request and provided us with a great afternoon.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2010

I don't routinely submit reviews but I was inspired to do so by the negative comments of some of the more recent reviews which are simply incomprehensible. We stayed for 18 nights in early April. It should only have been 14 but the volcanic ash cloud intervened and the owners of the hotel hotel could not have been more helpful in terms of letting us use their mobile phones to contact airlines. They also allowed us access to their computer in terms of trying to rearrange our journey home.

We stayed in 3 rooms during the course of our stay because of the need to extend and each of them was comfortable and well decorated with excellent shower facilities. The swimming pool can occasionally get a little crowded with day visitors but I would say that on at least 14 days of 18 our day stay the pool was uncrowded. Even when it became more crowded it was always possible to get a sun-bed and to swim comfortably.

The thing that makes the hotel really special however is the friendliness and willingness to help of the owners and staff. I simply cannot understand the comments in some of the reviews which talk about rudeness and unfriendliness. We have stayed at dozens of hotels all over the world in every category and find the hospitality and helpfulness of all the staff at the oceanic absolutely top-class.

It is true it is a little walk to either Patnem or Palolem beach, but presumably anyone who decides to stay there must be aware of this. In any case the walk to either beach is extremely pleasant through beautiful coconut groves. In addition rickshaws are very cheap as it is hiring a motorbike so the distance is not a problem.

Overall the comfortable rooms, the swimming pool (which is a real rarity in small hotels in India) the friendliness of the staff and the beauty of the gardens surrounding the swimming pool make the oceanic one of our favourite hotels in the world.

The food in the restaurant is also exceptionally good.

If you have the chance to stay there take it!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
Reviewed May 12, 2010

I've only just got round to writing my reviews for holidays in 2009 and when I looked up the Oceanic I couldn't believe some of the reviews! My fiance and I stayed at the Oceanic for a week over Christmas and had the most romantic and amazing holiday we have ever had. The staff were fantastic and attentive, nothing was too much trouble. Les and Sheila who run the hotel went out of their way to make sure that our celebration of our engagement was perfect in every single way. I can only assume that any negative reviews are from people who stayed elsewhere and are confused. We loved the Oceanic and have already booked for this December with 4 of our friends!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
scotland
Reviewed April 16, 2010

arrived mid-monsoon to a mouldy smelly wet room. no hot water. miserable night, about an hour after we arrived went to fancy hotel to use internet to find somewhere else in goa to stay, AVOID!!!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank douai86
London
Reviewed April 12, 2010

WATCH OUT...

I have just read the reviews of lasolisita and Orrysorry about one of my favourite Indian Hotels and feel I must write to say that I could not DISAGREE more. It appears that "Herr & Frau Hamburg" can agree on a "nice pool, nice garden and excellent breakfasts" but are up in arms about a non-functioning TV. I was there in March and I suspect it was at the same time as I did overhear the appalling way "Frau Hamburg" behaved towards the owner. it was foul-mouthed and abusive. As explained to her and her partner, the problem was not with the TV itself but with the cable. As the "Hamburgs" should know, having visited India before ("our travels") these things can take time, Indian time. By the way, mine didn't work either but I wasn't in Goa to stay in my room and watch TV.
As for "hospitality"...the Goans are renowned for their friendliness and good manners and I found all the staff at the Oceanic to reflect that especially the lovely lady that tidies the garden in the morning.
Regarding the "fraudulent behaviour": There is not a hotel in the world that takes full payment upfront. Credit card details are taken to cover a deposit especially for bookings of more than 1 night. And why, if indeed that was the case, did "Herr Hamburg" agree to pay for everything upfront without seeing the room???
The Oceanic has only 6 rooms and many of it's guests like to head off to the many beaches in the area. The pool was certainly not busy when I was there and the "Sorry, pool is full" was on a sign by the steps to the entrance to the hotel. This was, I imagine, to inform non paying guests that indeed the pool was full!
"Herr Hamburg", your email suggests that someone said it to you personally...unlikely!
The 3rd complaint seems to be about the distance to the beach(es) from the hotel. To Patnem, 700mtrs is a pretty fair guess, a lovely 15 minute walk through palm trees and a few villages...not exactly Everest. And yes Palolem is further and yes the rickshaws cost 50rupees that's about 1.5 Deutsche Marks, .82Euros or 72 pence.
I would like to finish by saying that I suspect the non-functioning TV was an excuse to leave the Oceanic as somewhere cheaper had probably been found. Just a thought.
I have no problem in highly recommending the Oceanic to people travelling on their own or to families. I may be staying there again in June and I am definately staying there again in September for almost 3 weeks.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Hamburg
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Watch out. Despite some of the good comments about the hotel, it is far from ideal. No hospitality, fraudulent behaviour.

While travelling around India we came across the Oceanic Hotel because we wanted to enjoy the comfort of a TV, nice rooms and a pool at the end of our travels. With 1500Rps for the low season, the price did not come cheap but the pictures of their website and the reviews here on tripadvisor sounded more than promising.
The place looks good. The design is nice and if you are into appearances than this is certainly the place for you. If you have come to India to enjoy the famous Indian hospitality then you have found the wrong place.
We were greeted with "What do you want?" rather than with a "Welcome" even though we were expected as we had booked our room in advance.
The next point was that they asked for our credit card details in order to "hold" the booking for the five nights we planned on staying. No payment was to be deducted until the end was the comment of the rather gloomy receptionist. We found out afterwards that the whole amount was deducted straight away before even having seen the room...

The room itself looked nice but was very small and our TV did not work. We asked the staff to fix that several times as we wanted to relax for the last days in India. We were told the problem would be solved until the next morning. Nothing happened even when we said that this was a reason for us to leave the hotel.

Next major annoyance was that we found out that Les & Sheila rented out the pool each day to non hotel guests. When we came back after a few at the beach to cool off at the pool we found that all sunbeds had been taken. "Sorry, pool is full"

Third annoyance: the location. Before arrving at the hotel I gave them a call to find out about how far the hotel was to the beach. I was told 700meters. That is simply not the truth. You have to walk to either Patnem or Palolem beach for at least 20-25 minutes! A rickshaw taxi cost another 50rps each way.

While confronting Sheila about our dislikes she did not even make an effort to solve the problem or comment on it. She simply referred to a book that apparently people write in about what a wonderful stay they had. I really wonder who these people are and I am assuming that they are all acquaintances rather than real guests.

There was a plus side though: the pool was nice (even if the water was cloudy) and the look of the place is really nice if you are into modern tiling. But thats it!
The owners love sitting with their friends in the patio or at the swimming pool not caring about their "guests".

We left after one night and had to argue a lot in order to get our money back.

If you are after your money"s worth and a hospitable stay in lovely India then this is not the right hotel for you.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank lasolisita
Hamburg
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Plus: nice pool, nice garden, excellent breakfast and a great fruit salad

Minus: On our arrvial we were greeted with the words: "What do you want here?" "Do you have a reservation?"
That was not actually the Goan hospitality we were used to from our travels...

We came here mainly for two reasons: Pool and TV.
The TV did not work at all and the pool was occupied by day-walk-inns who have to pay 200Rupees to use the pool.

On the first day I asked three times the TV to be repaired...nothing happend,in the evening I told them I will move out the next day if the TV is not working the next day. In the morning I asked again and they told me again its going to be fixed later (all the TV of neigbours worked properly), so we stayed.
When we came back in the afternoon the TV was still broken and the pool was packed by expat friends of the english owner family including themselves.
I told them I am moving out now. The sayd its OK, but I have to pay for the next night as well.
After long time arguingI got my money back and we quickly moved to another hotel with Goan Hospitality and a cheaper price.
The moment you arrive they want your credit card and they tell you they put the charge on hold, but actually they dont and you have to pay everything before you even see the room.
The distance to Padnem beach is about 15 walking minutes, to Palolem beach about 20 minutes.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Orrysosorry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canacona
The Tubki Resort
#3 of 9 in Palolem
Beleza...by the beach
Beleza...by the beach
#2 of 5 in Betalbatim

Been to Oceanic Hotel? Share your experiences!