“Excellent stay with Les & Sheila”
Review of Oceanic Hotel

Oceanic Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Canacona
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay with Les & Sheila”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights at the Oceanic in October 2013 whilst travelling around India, and this was by far the best place we stayed in.
We had chosen the Oceanic based on the reviews on tripadvisor and I must say it exceeded our expectations.
From our arrival, we were made to feel welcome by both Les & Sheila (and Dixie the Dog) and our stay felt more like we were staying with friends rather than just another Hotel.
Les & Sheila's local knowledge was excellent and whether it be a bar, restaurant, beach or rickshaw/taxi, we were never disappointed with any of their recommendations.

If we ever go back to Goa, the Oceanic would be our first port of call.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Redhomer1969

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
candolim goa
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I arrived at oceanic, exhausted and needing a little break. I was made to feel at home straight away. What a great setting for chilling out. After I settled in my gorgeous room I made for the pool. Such a delight to have met friends that day who also enjoy the ambience of this lovely guest house. Personally after spending one night here I am hooked and plan to come again.
The whole place is delicious, and I rate it as number one best guest house in goa.
So thankyou les and sheila for everything. You are the tops!

Room Tip: All rooms good. But my favourite is the yellow room at the front. So cozy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank susansinghrarewala
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I spent 6 nights at the lovely Oceanic hotel, it was a very relaxing break, just what we were looking for.

The hotel was clean, the rooms were spacious with nice bathrooms. The staff were super friendly, and the owners Les and Sheila (and their amazing dog Dixie) were lovely and very accommodating. When I couldn't find a cooking course - we were quite out of the season - I hopped into the kitchen with some of the staff to see how they made their lunch.

The location was good - about a 15 minute walk from Palolem beach, and a short tuk tuk ride at night. Close enough, but far enough away to have a bit of peace and quiet.

The breakfast was yummy, and it was nice to have some home comforts - poached eggs and baked beans, yum!

We loved the hotel and would definitely recommend it to others. Everything was being cleaned while we were there following the monsoon so I can only imagine how nice it will be once the clean is complete.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed for ten days over Christmas last year (I wrote a review then but it never went through). A selfish part of me was glad because I wanted to keep it to myself but Sheila and Les deserve to be promoted. We had been to Palolem four times and always stayed on the beach. The noise from the barking dogs at night followed by the the crows at dawn meant we barely slept. Apart from the noise, the beds in the beach bungalows were like concrete.
So we decided to stay at The Oceanic as it's on the road and we knew several people who had stayed there and said it was quiet and the beds were comfortable. Well, it met all our expectations and more. It's so nice that there are only six rooms as it really feels like being part of a little family. When you come down for breakfast everyone is so friendly. The rooms are really soundproof. We had a family of four next to us and when the doors were closed we heard nothing. We slept so well. Sheila and Les make everyone feel welcome and special. It's the only place we'll stay when we go to Palolem in future.
note- the only thing I would suggest is that they change the twin beds in room 5. We spent most of the holiday there and loved the room (it's huge) but the beds gave both my husband and I sore backs. We then moved to room 1 where the room is smaller but the double bed was wonderful!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 984SAS
India
Reviewed May 17, 2013

A peaceful and charming little hotel set in the midst of some really lovely and lush vegetation. The highlight was a beautiful courtyard that serves as a bar and dining area. The hotel is a 5 minute drive from Palolem Beach and the hotel arranges auto rickshaws at short notice. The hotel has a nice pool that is perfect for its size. Due to the low season, the kitchen did not serve its full menu - just breakfast and small eats. However, whatever they made was very tasty. The best part of the hotel is the quietness and serenity with bird and squirrel calls being the only sounds one could hear for the most part. The owners and staff were very friendly and made us feel right at home. The hotel has Wi-Fi which worked great for 3 of the 4 days we were there.

All in all, we had a nice time and would happily come back.

Some minor irritants: The AC did not work in our room. However, it did not matter much as our ground floor room was really cool due to the lush vegetation surrounding the building. The hotel did not serve dinner due to the low season. However, Palolem Beach with its plethora of restaurants was just 5 minutes away by auto rickshaw. The floor mattresses provided to accommodate our family of 4 were not great - a little too think to be very comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JaideepVivekanand
Chard, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I arrived at the Oceanic Hotel early one morning having just arrived in India. My brother had sadly passed away day before in Goa. Les & Sheila could not have been understanding or helpful.

I stayed for almost a week during which time I got to see and know all the staff very well. The hotel is clean and tidy, the facilities excellent, the scenery stunning. The hosts were perfect. The service and food were second to none.

I fully intend to return to the Oceanic next year hopefully under less sad circumstances whereupon I will definitely not be staying anywhere else. I would recommend the hotel to anyone who is looking for a great place to stay, with warm hosts, great accommodation and friendly staff.

Room Tip: I had the downstairs room which for me was ideal, ac and ceiling fan, en suite bathroom, sat tv, per...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Simon-Congiu-Shurey
Toulouse, France
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Just got back from India and have to say i'll go back to this hotel.Les and Shiela are the perfect hosts and all the staff are so happy and friendly.Garden and the luxury of a swimming pool was bliss. Can't wait until the next time .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canacona
The Tubki Resort
#3 of 9 in Palolem
Alila Diwa Goa
Alila Diwa Goa
#2 of 38 in Salcette

Been to Oceanic Hotel? Share your experiences!