“Lovely spot and tasty food”
Review of Bhakti Kutir

Bhakti Kutir
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Canacona
belfast
“Lovely spot and tasty food”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I didn't stay here but a friend did so I visited a couple of times and would definitely like to stay if I'm lucky enough to return to this part of India. This place was a bit of a haven away from the at more busy Palolem and Patnem. The food was very tasty and I had a peak in one of the rooms and in comparison to the beach hut I was residing in, I had a bit of room envy.. This place looked like a lovely place to stay, close enough to the beach for comfort, but far enough away to enjoy a different and relaxing experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I was at Bhakti Kutir in a group for 10 days on a yoga holiday. It is perfectly placed between the bustling Palolem beach and the quieter Patnam beach (as long as you remember a torch at night) and the hotel itself is potentially stunning. I'm not convinced by the 'eco' credentials but the gardens are lush and full of birds and monkeys as well as friendly and well looked after cats and dogs. The huts seem to differ quite a bit (we had 10 between us so could take a good look at the different types) and only a few had western loos, so be specific if that's a problem for you.

We arrived as a group, after 24 hours travelling, at around 9am. We were greeted by indifferent staff at reception who eventually told us to sit in the restaurant and 'wait'. We sat for an hour or so before eventually being given a very strange and basic breakfast. I would have expected an introduction of some kind, an idea of the facilities of the hotel (massage, laundry, hot water, safe boxes etc) and also of what lay beyond the gate (restaurants, beaches etc.). But nobody gave us any information though over the next week, between our large group, we did manage to work out most things. We never worked out who the manager/owner was however and I'm still surprised that over 10 days in such a large (and lucrative group) he/she didn't introduce themselves.

I had a hut with an 'up' and a 'down'. I was 'down'. I was very lucky with my upstairs neighbours, who were only ever single occupants. You wouldn't want to share with a couple as you can hear everything, every word and movement between the rooms. The bathroom was basic, but I rather loved it with a tree growing through it and visiting frogs. After initial scepticism, I also looked forward to my 'hot showers' in the evening which was the delivery of a bucket of hot water, heated over a fire so smelling of woodsmoke. With a jug or small bowl, it was a novel and enjoyable way to wash. With the duplex huts, the bathrooms are separated by just a bamboo screen wall so you do get to know each other!

There were some very pretty huts and I found the beds quite comfortable and enjoyed sleeping essentially outside with just a mossie net, some curtains and bamboo screening between me and the elements. The nights were very noisy, trains, dogs, crows, fireworks, cars, tuktuks, security staff wandering around, the kitchen getting going and other yoga groups, but it didn't particularly bother me, all part of the experience. Others found it much more challenging, so if you don't sleep easily, bring top quality earplugs.

The yoga space was lovely if a bit grubby and fun to watch the monkeys jump through the trees.

We eventually sorted out the breakfasts (which were included for us) and managed to get something more than chopped fruit, overcooked eggs and stale rolls, so the restaurant is obviously capable. We ate there on only one night as they said they needed 24 hours warning and it was not good I'm afraid. The Goan Fish Curry was inedible and the rest just dull. The best thing in the restaurant was lemon ginger tea and the cakes (not the ones on the specials board but if you asked they'd pull out a tupperware and show you!) and choclate mousse (made with avocado and cashew). I liked the look of various specials but they weren't available to order when the time came.

On our final day, having booked taxis to the airport (independently as the hotel adds about 50% to all costs) we found out from someone on the beach that there was a strike and we woulndn't get to the airport that day. The hotel hadn't mentioned it and when asked if they could help us find an alterntive, they were intially unhelpful, then agreed to get a bus to take us (they charged us £160 though we found out the driver was only being paid £70). This was typical of our time at BK.

In essence, this is a lovely hotel, the restaurant should be good (and sometimes is) the rooms are great (when they are cleaned - you have to ask twice) but the service really does let it down.

There are a few exceptions, the lovely Vijay at the Ayuverdic massage centre is a joy, the man who brings the water is kind and one lady who cleans throughout the day has a lovely cheeky smile. But overall, you are treated with indifference or just ignored.

With a bit of management and some charm, this could be an exceptional place to stay.

Room Tip: Only take a 2 storey hut if you know your neighbour! I liked the look of Room 12 which seem to have...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

We didn't stay here, but came a couple times for dinner. It's a short tuktuk ride away from both Patnem and Palolem. The food and service was brilliant and the ambience beautiful.
Really lovely place!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Small, clean, friendly. Close to beachs. Hotel very eco-conscious so basic huts with squat loos and no ac. Mosquito net but lack of sitting space or place for clothes. Hut was a small walk from main complex which was ok except for problems with various padlocks on various gates that did not work. Once we could not get in, another time we could not get out. Noisy at night (dogs). Amazing dawn chorus. The huts in the main compound look nicer. Breakfast extra.
Good salads and fruit drinks. Yoga classes available.
Free (weak) Wifi in Reception area.

As our train was not until 11.40pm we paid for an extra night to have use of the room until departure time.

There is a lot of choice in this town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main complex.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2014

stayed here for 2 nights in december , the huts themselves were fine and the grounds were nice enough , however i think they oversell /state the eco side of things , the morning after we got there to a very frosty welcome from the staff , one of the huts was burgled this is not an uncommon occurence anywhere unfortunately , the shocking part was the managers attitude , he was dismissive and abrupt to the lady who was asking for assistance he then denied being anything other than a handyman blatant lie , the food was substandard we had a dinner that was thrown together and rubbish frankly , the next day i had a vrggie breakfast which ran straight through me also not up too much and the tea tasted of washing up liquid , they need to up there game ,i was glad to move on , rude staff rubbish food , the only time i was spoken too was when they cadged a cigarette off me .... poor

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Limeri
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I spent five nights at Bhakti Kutir, an Eco-resort in the jungle above Palolem Beach in South Goa. The service, food and ambience were great. I especially liked mornings, when a local boy would bring a bucket of hot water for bathing; the water is heated in a cauldron over a wood fire, so it smells like smoke as you pour it over your body. You sleep under mosquito netting, though except at sunset I didn't notice too many bugs. It's a five-minute walk to the beach. The place is managed by the indefatigable Ute, who has been developing the property for 19 years. Plantings are lush, everything clean and well-maintained, the staff attentive. I paid about US $60 a night for a spacious hut with western toilet. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: You can spend less by getting a room without bathroom; then you use common toilets and showers.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We were pleased to find accommodation in early October that was open, with much in Palolem and Patnem still under construction.

The huts were ok though the toilets were not Western and very un-hygienic. Overall, the place had a weird vibe, I guess that's because they target long term travellers and nomads. The layout of the property means you enter/exit via the staff quarters which got a bit inappropriate at times, especially at night.

Lastly, the location was neither here nor there. In future I will stay in either Palolem for more atmosphere or Patnem for quiet chill out on the beach.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canacona
The Tubki Resort
#8 of 19 in Canacona
Dunhill Beach Resort
Dunhill Beach Resort
#2 of 7 in Agonda

Been to Bhakti Kutir? Share your experiences!