“Gorgeous homestay far from the madding crowds in South Goa” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Turiya Villa and Spa

Turiya Villa and Spa
Ranked #14 of 79 Canacona B&B and Inns
Polis
“Gorgeous homestay far from the madding crowds in South Goa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Turiya in early December 2012. I found it after googling homestays in Goa and knew straight from looking at Sandy's website that it would be the perfect place to relax and unwind half way through our 3 week trip to India after a long overnight train journey from Bangalore.

Sandy arranged a taxi to pick us up from Madgoan station (we took the long but stunningly scenic train route from Londa to Goa - highly recommended!) at a great price and on arriving at Turiya, we were met by both Sandy, Clifa and Mowgi the dog.

Stunningly renovated with so many beautiful touches, a stay here will fill you with tranquillity and calm. We had an amazing ayurvedic massage in the adjoining spa after settling in and, after dining on lovely home cooked food by candlelight, we retired to our room called Bharani and fell into a deep sleep. Perfect!

I'm a yoga addict and unrolled my travel mat on the verandah outside the following morning. The energy around the villa was simply amazing and I unwound even more with every deep yoga stretch. Masala chai awaited me when I finished followed by breakfast. We also had dinner at Turiya the second night with gorgeous fried fish and various vegetarian delights.

A complimentary "scooty" was made available to us to get to the local beaches just a few minutes away. Great fun and not at all scary given that the Goan roads are SO quiet compared to the madness of the cities. The smaller Pattnem beach was our favourite - truly idyllic.

I highly recommend this beautiful homestay to anyone who wants to get away from it all and unwind. The staff and Sandy the owner are super friendly and will truly make you feel at home.

What would I add? Some fresh papaya/pineapple would have been a nice addition to breakfast, especially as we had eaten lots of fresh fruit at every other place we stayed.

An easier way to pay the deposit! If I hadn't been intent on staying at Turiya, the pain of paying via bank transfer from a non Indian bank would put many people off. It cost us 15% of one night's stay to transfer the money from our UK bank and then, the Indian bank charges were also added to our account on leaving - only 100 RS, but if that is the only way to accept deposits, then an alternative way to accept either cash or credit needs to be found.

Room Tip: Our second night in Bharani was disturbed by the local neighbours coming home in the early hours and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank HelenSmeaton

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was our fifth trip to Goa - while each vacation in Goa has been fantastic and had its own charm, truly speaking we were yet to find the "right" kind of place for us - but that changed with our visit to and stay at Turiya ..

My husband and I keep having these day dreams of owning an old Portuguese villa in Goa and staying there for our vacations, well this was like one of those day dreams coming true for those few days. The restoration that Sandesh has done of the villa is just lovely keeping the old structure, flooring etc in place , yet adding modern amenities to it and keeping the old villa charm intact completely ! The villa grows on you just like the staff till you almost start to believe that you actually live there. While we were there the garden in front of the verandah was still getting done up and I hope to return when that's been completed , since I am sure it will look even nicer. The location of Turiya is just so perfect with the closest beach barely 10 minutes away, the bus terminus a stone's throw, the train station so near by as well as the market place ..

What I loved about the place as well were the amenities offered and the service. For a very picky Virgo like me, the first thing that puts me off in any hotel or resort, no matter how pretty the exterior is , are the sheets or towels and they were impeccable in this place in addition to the furniture which definitely won brownie points for me. The bathroom was just like my private little luxury bathroom, extremely tastefully done up and the best part of it was that since it was actually detached from the room, it saved our rooms from continuously getting sandy after our beach trips, not to mention for the kids it was great fun visiting the bathroom every time as well !

The food was in short excellent - we made sure we had atleast one meal at the hotel every day since we didn't want to miss out on it at all ! The bangra rawa fry was to die for especially made with catch brought in from the sea that evening and the fact that Sandesh would actually take time out to sit with us over dinner and chat and help make plans for the next day was such a nice personal touch !

Sandesh and his staff made you feel so much at home that the day we were leaving, it almost felt like saying good bye to family of sorts.

For a traveller like me with two extremely naughty boys (8 and 3 yr olds) , this place was one of the most child friendly places I have been to ,since they could literally be at home with Sandesh and his staff being on pet name terms with them by the second day and of course Mowgli the white dog was the star attraction for my younger one who keeps remembering "the hotel with Mowgli" and that we should go back there very soon :)

Well, I'm not sure about very soon, but go back we most certainly will !

Thanks Sandesh for giving us one of our most memorable stays in Goa !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank ritumandal
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

" Its not a hotel or a resort , its a Homestay' says the proud owner, Sandesh Prabhu of Turiya Villa and Spa. My wife and I stayed at the Turiya Villa during the 2nd october long weekend and we decided to drive from Mumbai. Sandesh and his team have done an outstanding job in restoring this 100 year old bungalow built in the typical Portuguese style.

The colours , the woodwork , the balcony ,the common verandah , the food , everything tells us that Sandesh is extremely passionate about Turiya and it shows. As we say in Hindi ' bade pyaar se banaya hai'.

We were fortunate to meet Sandesh during our stay and even more fortunate to eat some outstanding food cooked by Sandesh himself. One needs to give an advance notice for lunch or dinner because - It is not a hotel or a resort. I personally don't mind this as it assures me fresh food. And there is nothing better than fresh fish and vegetables.

Its great for couples who want some peace and quiet and don't want to go to a disco and get stuck in traffic. The Palolem and Patnem beaches are a ten minute drive from Turiya. Also ideal for large groups of friends who can hire the entire villa.

The rooms are big and beautifully done up. The bathrooms are not attached to the rooms , which may get some used to, but once a bathroom is assigned its yours for the duration of the stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Yatin K
Mumbai, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

This trip of mine to Goa was my second visit to turiya villa and spa.i visited turiya earlier in 2011 for my wedding anniversary,it was a quick trip with my husband and we spent more of our time on the palolem beach than at the gorgeouse villa.
I decided then I am going to revisit soon with either family or friends and enjoy the cosy villa
So this trip happened recently on the 6th of September , it was an off season and I visited with my mom & brother.this time the villa had cute surprises tucked in at every corner,firstly the magnificent shani statue that welcomes you at the entrance.The soft spoken and helpful care taker Tukaram
the sweet and ever smiling manager Clifa and the most adorable member of the turiya family the super adorable lab Mougly :)
The mornings would begin with chirping of birds a refreshing view of the garden from the patio large trees encompassing the garden area.hot tea being served and breakfast being prepared as per your order.
The bedrooms not just beautiful but extremely comfortable.the villa is apparently a 100 year old villa and has been restored by the owner and a talented architect Sandesh Prabhu who is also from goa.Sandesh has not only restored the place but has done it up very tastefully and has put up some eclectic mix of prints artefacts furniture and paintings all over the cosy villa.
The bathrooms are so stunning if you don't hear people chattering outside in Konkani you could mistake it for a space tucked away in Bali:) open to sky bath a private view of plants and landscaping absolutely gorgeousness!!
I was really happy cause me and my folks were looked after well,we were given the right contacts with reasonable rates for a car and driver we used to spend our times at the beach most of the time.one of the most amazing beaches in goa PAlolem beach just 7 mins away from the turiya villa.
Over all a very enjoyable trip we got the whole villa to ourselves we played board games played with Mougly and just chilled.the only thing we didn't get to try out at the villa was the authentic Goan meal which is prepared as per your order.we did't get a chance to order cause we ate most of our meals at the shacks at odd hours.
Turiya villa a must visit with friends and family. Thumbs up and highly recomended!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you love nature and birds and trees choose the room that faces the patio!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Saviamahajan
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

"Is this the place that I am going to?" - I asked myself in doubt, on the day before I am suppose to leave and it was indeed a good choice! Located in south Goa and amazingly calm in spite of it being in a residential area. Huge house with different rooms and amazing sit outs - Sit out towards the garden needs a special mention. Interesting and beautiful bathrooms. It was monsoon and rain played music to my ears almost all the time. Beautifully maintained home, aptly, it belongs to a interior designer. It certainly is a heaven. I hope the Spa gets ready and it will be a complete package. There are 2 beaches, one about 4KM's away and the other less than 2KM's away and I managed to visit only one as it was raining and I was hesitant to leave Turiya as it was too cosy and comfy for me to get up and leave. To say the least, I had an amazing time and will certainly visit again. The pics in the website is the same as it looks in real time. Food was amazing and no complaints!
Special mention to the care takers: Sweet and chirpy Clifa, Amazing cook and the 'head' Malini and the patient help Tukaram and not to forget 'Mogli' - I was told Mogli, the 11 month old pup, I think a Labrador, is a rescued dog was such a sweet dog around. Nice work guys! Clifa and Malini: your 'surprise' was really nice and you had made my day! you know what I am talking about! Thanks again guys!

Room Tip: Every room has its own features and all the rooms and features are good! you don't need any '...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Praveen N
Pune, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

We visited this charming place during monsoon. At a minimum it is truly a peaceful break from the more bustling northern Goa. The gift of this place, and the staff, is that somehow you feel at home from the moment you step in, leave relaxed, looking forward to yet another visit.

The villa is well located and restored with attention to detail. The roof makes the rain sound like music, the verandah is extremely peaceful, the bathrooms interesting… The home cooked Goan food is delicious.

If you are looking for an authentic experience, Turiya won't disappoint you.

Thanks again to Clifa and her staff. Our every need was anticipated, even the ones we hadn't thought of.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

My first visit to Turiya Villa in April 2012 was on recommendation from a friend. The thought of not staying in a usual tried & tested hotel was unnerving. My apprehensions vanished with one glimpse of the villa even before I stepped out of the vehicle. The bougainvillea gave me a welcome embrace! A gorgeously restored & tastefully done home, with colonial accents, clean & stylish rooms was a huge surprise. I stayed for 6 days. The bathrooms need a special mention. The open to sky shower was a treat I looked forward to everyday, sometimes at 2 AM. Afternoon siestas in the verandah or on the hammock are most recommended! Mango, frangipani, avocado, chickoo & the forever present coconut trees dot the entire property. Do not skip a treatment at the spa! The serenity at Turiya is unreal & I promised to return. July 2012 was that second time, albeit for 3 days, for a monsoon getaway. And the same blissful experience. Opt for the goan thali lunch, its the most delectable, flavourful, authentic meal available. The staff are hands-on, dedicated & forever around. Turiya is a refreshing change. A homestay with style, comfort, conveniences at hand, a spa & a home with great vibes! Looking forward to October 2012...

Room Tip: Rohini, Ashwini, Adra open onto the sit-out verandah... Highly recommended!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canacona
The Tubki Resort
Taj Exotica Goa
Taj Exotica Goa
#1 of 14 in Benaulim
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,793 reviews

Been to Turiya Villa and Spa? Share your experiences!