“Always an enjoyable stay every year from 2003 to 2010”

and 1 more site!
Palolem Guest House
Ranked #28 of 82 Canacona B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Now I am a bit biased here, but I have never had any problems while staying at the PGH. I have stay every christmas since 2003 ( except 2011 as I travelled north India ). The Staff, and I have seen a lot of different people are always as helpful as they can be. It seems that maybe the problems people have had maybe due to the Indian factor and could and does happen throughout the country ( Remember yes does not always means yes in india - as stated in the lonley planet ). They have helped me when I have been ill and are always polite.
Some of the rooms are small but this is not a problem when asleep, though if there are 2 of you in the small rooms it could be a squeeze. OK the rooms are starting to deteriorate, they have been decorated once since I have been staying and are due again, the hot water is dependant on the number of people staying and since the hot water can be very very hot it is often wasted as you try to get the temperature just right. The only real problem I have is the extra cost for staying over the xmas week super high peak season, which seems to get longer each year and the cost is going up - but put it in context all prices are going up in india and sometimes the exchange rate is not that good. It also seems you can not get a discount and I have heard people trying to get a discount, they seem to rather have the rooms empty.
I am known at PGH and when the owner comes to check on the place ( Mr Tanaji ) he is always waiting to say hello. I have used the resturant a few times if I am late back from the beach but the German bakery down the road is the best place for breakfast. I have never looked for another place to stay in Palolem so don't know if there are cheaper options ( not at xmas anyway ).
The rooms are cleaned everyday ( sometimes the cleaner does not come but this was once during the 4 weeks and I think it was xmas day or the day after ) the bed sheets are changed I think every other day and the towels every few days , when I wanted another towel they gave me another. The place has a generator for those long power cuts at night, this is good but you do hear the generator as it a large one which powers both PGH 1 and PGH 2. I always get a room in the original PGH and it tends to be a bit more noisey as it houses the reception but its not excessive. Scooters can be hired from the man across the road, but you can find cheaper elsewhere. PGH is a bit of distance from the main street but once you know the short cut via the German bakery it does not take you long to get to the shops and resturants and the loader part of Palolem.
Will I be staying again? I would like to and if I need to I will, but the increasing cost and the fact that Palolem is no way as nice as it was 5 year ago means I am moving to another beach ( not telling you where since everyone will come ) but within a short scooter ride. PGH is good for those who are first time visitors to Goa as it will give you the comforts you may need,it is at the quieter end of Palolem so may not appeal to all who want everything on their doorstep.

Room Tip: Rooms in PGH 2 are newer but you will still need to go into PGH 1 to pick you key up
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank happyguy4413

Reviewed April 29, 2012

For de second time stayed at the guesthouse. Perfect place, clean. Fine restaurant in the quite garden. Food is good, great waiter. only one member of housekeeping/reception is not friendly
Only 4 minutes walk to the beach, great value. Go for an excellent haircut to zigzag hairdresser, it 's on the wat to the beach

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank johanna59
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I´ve been staying here for the past few years when I come to Goa. It does what it says on the tin. True, it´s not the cheapest option in Palolem, but I´ve been there and done that with the coco-hut thing, and I found I prefer brick walls and a floor that doesn´t rattle when I lie on my bed.
It´s set back from the beach (about 5 minutes walk along a little path by the German Bakery) and in pleasant, well kept, garden surroundings.
The rooms are simple, but clean, with shower and toilet. The more expensive ones have airconditioning and some have balconies. There is always hot water, which is great after a day at the beach when all you want to do is get the sand off and get clean. Rooms are cleaned and towels are changed daily. The restaurant is good, but seems to have got quieter over the last years. I´ve had breakfast (fruit muesli with honey - yum) and dinner there, no complaints. The guy who works there is always extremely friendly and will go to the market for fresh fish and cook you a special meal with seafood or fish as long as you let him know in advance (e.g. the day or night before). He made us the most delicious jumbo prawns masala, I´ve never seen prawns this big in my life. I had four on my plate and I was full afterwards.
The girls at reception have come to know us and we DO get a smile from them. It took us three years of staying there, but we get a smile... I keep reading reviews with complaints about these girls but personally I´ve never had an issue with them.
In short, it´s a guesthouse, not a hotel. It´s simple, it´s clean, it´s far enough away from the thick of things to get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Adieuwa
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed in Palolem Guesthouse for 1 week during the New Years period in 2011.
Rooms were clean, location was great in a very nice small and quiet street, only 10 minutes from the beach. They also have a restaurant which was good but we preferred a bbq on the beach. The staff serving our breakfast were allways very friendly. We had a nice time there.
Tip for the hotel : change towels every day and it is perfect.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cevedepe
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Stayed here with my boyfriend. Lovely hostel about 10 mins from the beach and the town. The rooms were spacious and the air conditioning was a god send... it was freezing! The staff were very friendly.
There is a restaurant attached, although we never ate there as there are so many other options so close by.
Small TVs are provided in the room, but we had terrible signal. As we were out a lot, we didn't complain.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hannah B
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We booked two rooms for ten nights over Christmas and new Year for my wife and I and our son and his girlfriend. We found the staff very helpful and were also accommodating when we needed to stay an extra two nights during this busy time. Requests for room cleaning, toilet paper and laundry were addressed straight away. Amar who was running the guesthouse restaurant was an amusing and efficient host. They have a tandoori oven and produce wonderful Indian breads and meats. The curries are flavoursome and delicious which is a welcome contrast to the bland food we had on the beach. Palolem Beach is very busy at this time of year, so being situated back from the beach was an advantage, although still close enough to the action via a short walk. I sympathise with the previous review but can say that I didn't see five sets of stairs in the place. I would certainly come and stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank DavidBanfield
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I stayed winter 2009 and it was okay except staff, so I booked for 2010 and paid 420 euros up front. When I arrived I was put in a cupboard on the roof. They knew I was dissabled so with no lift it was difficult to climb five flights of stairs. The room well it was so bad I wouldn;t know where to start. I asked for my money back and didn't stay and was told to leave with no refund or different room. We had a hearing Christmas eve 7pm at Cancona Police station. It was all very distressing. Be warned don't pay up front. I found out that another woman had had the same thing done to her.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo