“Clean and nice place!”

Ranked #2 of 81 Canacona B&B and Inns
Zaltbommel, Gelderland, Netherlands
“Clean and nice place!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I had a very good stay at this place. It was clean and there was a very good atmosphere.
The staff was very friendly and helped us well. Al the rooms we saw looked good. And from the balcony we had a nice view over the mall and quiet street.
And the hotel is very close to the beach.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hebrew first
Solf, Finland
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had to go through a really bad and sad experience at this hotel which appeared to be run by quite a pityful and poor man.
We had stayed eleven days at Wavelet and were planning to continue our traveling towards Sri Lanka the following day when this bad episode happened:
Early on a Sunday morning I woke up and decided to check things on the Internet. I took my computer and sat down in the stairway as the wifi here is weak and do not reach the rooms. My man was still asleep and since I sat about seven footsteps away I did not bother to lock the door. There were hardly any other guests at the hotel either and it was early. After a while there comes a young Indian guy that I truly had the feeling I had seen at the hotel area the previous day. He then had talked with someone working there. As I thought he had some kind of relation to the hotel I paid no further attention. I just said "Good Morning". He answered and he even shook my hand, which I found slightly peculiar but kept on being focus on my e-mail in the computer.. I noticed he went to the direction where our hotel room was and then came back and continued to the right end of the corridor. And after a while he went out.
A few minutes later I went back to our room to get my wallet with my VISA-card as I was about to buy and reserve tickets over the net. But I could not find my little bag that I was very convinced I had hang up on the wardrobe door. Peculiar. After a while I noticed another of my small bags thrown on the floor outside our room in the corridor and got a strange feeling. My man woke up and helped me look for my little bag with my wallet and after a short while he said: "My wallet is gone too. And my smartphone." By then I could just realize that my iPhone was gone as well. We still could not believe that this was happening. We had slept with locked doors, and I had gone to bed at 01:30 in the morning. Woke up at 07:30. My man went down to report the theft and asked the night receptionist to call the police. When I came downstairs I asked the receptionist if he had seen any young guy in a red shirt and he said no. He called the owner who told him not to call the police but to tell us that we could go to the police station ourselves. And so we did. Still I believed that this would be sorted out somehow, because I thought that if it is the guy in red, then somebody at the hotel will know who it is. At the police they told us only to go back to the hotel and to come back again together with the owner.
So. We went back to the hotel and now both an older man working at the hotel, the owner and owners wife had showed up. We stupidly believed that these people would be as horrified as us that there had been a theft at their hotel, but no. The looks they gave us were full of filth and anger. And when I told about the guy in red the owner got really angry at me and said that the guy that had been there the previous day run an errand from his bank "so it is not him". "Did you see him take the things?" he asked. And of course I had not seen him in action in our room. Still I think it is peculiar that they do not want to know about people from outside sneaking around in their hotel corridors. The owners wife were only worried about the hotels reputation. And it just seemed like they refused to believe us.
I asked if I could borrow the phone since ALL our money and both VISA-cards were gone, since I needed to close VISA-cards, bank accounts and phone lines back home in Finland. But no. They only had a possibility to local phone calls. These people did not even have the courage to offer us a glass of water in all this misery.
We went back to the police station. Me and my man on our rented scooter. The hotel owner, the older receptionist and the night receptionist by car. An Indian police office is not far from a parody of itself. First the owner and the head police officer – at least it looked like the head police man with all the "important" stars on his shoulders – were talking over our heads in their own language for a great while. After what seemed an eternity the police man asked us what had happened, but he had also had a slimy smile on his face. We tried to tell the story but it just all was confusing as everybody spoke at the same time, no one seemed to bother. Nobody listened. They really could not care less. When we repeatedly told that all money and VISA-card was stolen and that we ironically had taken out a big amount of money the previous day to pay the hotel and that it was all gone the owner got really rude and upset and shouted: "And now you are going away to your country? How are you now going to pay my hotel!!??" I mean.. Good Morning!! Had he understood anything of all what was happening to us?? I admit I by now started to be a bit scared at the station with corrupted police and an angry hotel owner. And I feared that they would turn the whole story into that we were not going to pay the hotel..
OK, so the police asked, what do you now want? Yes, we want to report the crime! We want a certificate from the police that our things have been stolen.
And now the really peculiar part. The police said that they can write a certificate, but we cannot mention the hotel. It can not be written that the theft had happened in the hotel. In that case we would have to kind of "sue" somebody or something. I did not quite understand what it was all about. But, the police said – translated by the hotel owner – that if we want to make this kind of statement and put it like a theft in the hotel room then we cannot get a certificate saying our things are gone until AFTER case closed and that this could last like up to six months. And also meaning that we have to stay there all this time.. So strange. I just could not believe all the things they came up with.
It was already afternonn and we had had no breakfast, we were really hungry and upset and we just realized that this charade would not take us any further. After three attempts the police managed to spell our names right and in the certificate where they also wrote that we had "misplaced" our belongings. "We are just trying to make things easier for you", they said. But it felt like they were making it easier on the hotel owner.
I mean really. I can live with a theft. But I cannot live with hotel administration acting like this when their customers are in deep trouble. They acted SO PITYFUL.
Our luck that day was that we had a train ticket from which we got 50 percent refund. That was enough to phone home country and lock all accounts and to get food for the day until people from back home sent us money via Western Union.
We stayed two more nights at Wavelet, but it felt no good whatsoever. It felt creepy that someone had been inside our room. It felt bad that we had lost our most important belongings. It felt strange that the owners had the strangest angry reaction to our misfortune. Fortunately we still had our passports so the trip did not end. But we could no longer go to Sri Lanka, instead we went to a city nearby to wait for our important papers to arrive. It took us two more weeks in Goa.
And do I have to mention that we never saw the hotel owner, nor the older receptionist again during the last two days even if they used to be there a lot? Very strange and very peculiar behaviour!!
No. Wavelet Beach Resort was a very negative and peculiar experience. And since there are so many other nice hotels and huts in Palolem I would recommend travellers and tourists to opt for another one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cia H
waveletpalolem, Owner at Wavelet Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Customer,
We disagree and deny that such pityful episode occured in our hotel and the whole story which you have written in your review. You must have lost your things somewhere else since you say you came in the room late night at 1.30am but you made stories in our hotel just to claim insurance from the insurance co. .

How can anybody beleive you saying you are sitting 7 steps away from the room and your man is sleeping in the room at 7.30am in the morning and somebody is wishing you goodmorning and shaking hands with you and robbing your things from the room ?

1) How can anybody guess your man is fast asleep while you are just 7 steps away from the room?

2) How can anybody dare to enter your room when you are 7 steps away from the room and your man is present in the room?

3) Your man and you have verbally changed many versions before concluding this review to favour your intention.

4) Atlast you did not even spare the policeman and went on saying that the policemen are corrupt who actually helped you to get lost things certificate. You said the policeman had a slimy smile on his face. Exactly he was very much aware about such claims and intentions of some of the tourist who come with clear intention to claim the insurance from the insurance co.

5) All your things were stolen and how come your passport and the train ticket was spared?

We would have really helped if the customer was in trouble and if the robbery had happened in our hotel but your story appeared very artificial. Your man had a slimy smile on his face and was roaming on the beach and saying he was searching for his things which he must have lost on the beach when he came late at night and he had nothing to say.

We could make out that you are creating scenes out of nothing to claim insurance from the insurance co. and on the top you are spoiling our reputation and the image of our hotel and how can you expect us to help you? . But we came all the way from our house which is 25kms away from the hotel to sort out the confusion created by you. This is for the first time we had such a bad experience in the last 8 yrs since we started this hotel.

You say the owerners wife is worried only about the reputation of the hotel. Yes we are definately worried about the reputation and image of our hotel because it is not one day business you can definately go through all the reviews about our hotel and the praises we get from our satisfied customers.

After staying for more than 9 nights you are writing poor review about this hotel regarding the value, location, sleep quality, rooms , cleanliness and service. .......if all things are of poor quality then why did you stay for so many nights in our hotel ?. You could have checked out the very next day as you had not payed any advance and looked out for all the nice hotels as you have recomended to other customers. You stayed here only because it is clean, quiet, good location and good service and now you deny all this things.

By saying all this things you cannot fool other customers because they are clever enough and cannot be fooled by you

What will you tell my customers who are satisfied and come every year for the past 8 years and have left their luggage with me to come for the next season ?

You forced us to reply to this review in such a manner

With regrets
Wavelet Beach Resort
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is our 4th visit at the Wavelet and we wouldn't stay any where else. Basic hotel compared to Europe but for India it's a must. Conveniently located at the top of Beach Road, 5 min walk from beach. Lots of restaurants within easy walking. Tea and coffee available on request. Look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed February 2013
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at wavelet.We just hope the bedding should improve cause that was the only concern we had with constant backaches :)..the mattress quality is not good and should improve.

..Debbie and her family were very sweet and always around to help...will come again to visit

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

waveletpalolem, Manager at Wavelet Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Customer,
Thanks for staying with us. I am sorry you had some problem with the bedding but we in Wavelet try our level best to see that all my customers are satisfied and i received no complaints regarding my bedding as of now . but i still believe that you should take the bigger rooms with huge beds next time and not the budget ones.

Thanks
Manager
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed with Wavelet for a total of 17 nights, the room was on the ground floor facing away from the street ( very quiet) we had AC and hot and cold shower wifi, and balcony. Our room was very clean and it is cleaned upon request. We would recommend any of our friends to stay here. Wavelet is in a greast location Although not on the beach you are only a short 3 minute walk away, go to the north part of the beach for peace as its less busy. Debey the owner is very helpful replys to emails very quickly and can organise taxis and airport transfers if you want. Had a great stay. March 2013.
Hilary & Malcolm

• Stayed March 2013
Paris, France
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I really liked the place,it was very clean and the staff is very welcoming.I liked the surrounding, it's near a temple and very close to the beach at the same time in a not so busy area of palolem.
And i also liked the garden with beautiful flowers.
It would be even better with a restaurant.

Room Tip: I was staying in a double room non ac with tv and good fan and hot shower...and a balcony.