“Rendezvous with Mother Nature - An experience to live with ... and die for!!”

Dwarka Eco Beach Resort
Reviewed December 12, 2010

I visited Dwarka Resort Goa to celebrate my birthday. And undoubtedly this has been my best birthday ever, evER, EVER!! I searched through Tripadvisor to zero in on this location and I must say all my expectations have been exceeded. If you are looking for warm hospitality with personal touch, a pristine unencumbered setting, gastronomical delight, relaxation from stresses of your routine life and rejuvenation to face the challenges of life with new zeal of energy ... Dwarka is the place for you!

We took an overnight bus from Mumbai to Goa and we arrived 7 hours late, thanks to a bus break-down and mismanagement by the operator – Neeta Volvo. The journey from Margaon to Dwarka was another arduous hour long, especially the last mile, which was void of a road. So with our aching backs we land at the parking lot and take the steps down towards the resort ... and oh my!! The first glimpse of the resort took our fatigue away. The resort is nestled in the midst of wilderness, at the foothills of green mountains, along a fresh water lagoon, next to a clean and empty beach, and obviously away from civilisation. As we crossed the wood bridge to get to our hut, we realised that this is very different from the Goa we know of (the hustle bustle of Baga & Calangute) and we liked it very much. The huts are basic but well provided. A little verandah with a porch to sit and enjoy the peaceful surroundings, hammocks to enjoy the afternoon siesta by the lagoon, bamboo wall panels and thatched roof reminding of vernacular architecture, a cozy cane bed and bathroom which has all necessary modern amenities (except geyser), has all the makings of a perfect cottage I always wanted to stay in but only read in travel journals.

The food had the extra punch of freshness and I can vouch for the fact that this is the first time ever that after having 12 meals in one place prepared by the same cook, I was not bored of it. In fact, I want more. I haven’t had so many varieties of fish within a span of 4 days – tuna, mackerel, shark, crab, prawns, snappers and king fish. The resort’s inability to serve desserts is due to unavailability of refrigeration, but on requests you can be served hot desserts like banana fritters and pancakes.

On the eve of my birthday I had a full grilled Tuna followed by a chocolate cake made in the nearby village bakery. Clement (the owner) added a new dimension when he took out his guitar and made us sing to old classics in the bon-fire by the sea. And when the tide brought the water in, all we did was to raise our legs to let it pass by. I celebrated my birthday in romantic setting on the top of the cliff, sipping champagne and watching the setting sun. This is not all; a romantic candle-light dinner on the beach was a perfect ending to my birthday. All of this was conceptualized by my loving wife and arranged by the resort staff in an impeccable manner.
Though it may seem there is not much to do is such a reclusive place; that is not actually true. Apart from the regulars (like swimming in the sea water and fresh water lagoon, walking in the stream, natural jacuzzi, sun bathing and reading a book to sleep on the hammock), activities like fishing with local fishermen, dolphin spotting and massages are highly recommended. This is the only place where I have seen dolphins so close to the shore and it is a beautiful experience to watch them in their elements.

Long story cut short, if you have not visited Dwarka, you are missing out on a lifetime opportunity. I will definitely go there again! Thanks Clement and the resort staff for making our visit memorable!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shanchakra

Reviewed November 27, 2010

When you step into Dwarka you are overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of the location - it is like something out of a film set! A running river with (manmade) waterfalls, running into a lagoon and ultimately to the sea. The pretty huts fit in perfectly to the ambiance of the surroundings, and were fairly clean and comfortable (it is a beach hut after all and not a 5* apartment).
Our main dissatisfaction came with the food. 'All meals included' meant three basic meals each day. The breakfast each day was fairly decent and provided goan bread, omelettes and such like. Lunch was watery vegetable curry served with rice and sliced white english-style bread and dinner was much the same - with sides of chicken or fish as an additional dish. We could not believe that they did not serve roti or naan or other Indian style beads which were an essential accompaniment to every other meal we ate during 3 weeks in India. Even the tasty goan bread was reserved strictly for breakfast. All the food seemed like a major cost-cutting exercise with the english style white bread the final straw. There was no desert after the unsubstantial dinner, and when asked we were told there was nothing and offered a bottle of mango juice.

As meal times were 8:30am, 1:30pm and 8:30pm we were often hungry between meals, but they had no option to even purchase some nuts or other snack (there are no shops etc nearby).

Ultimately my partner and I ended up getting 'delhi belly' which, having travelled round India without incident ,was very frustrating. We could see that particularly the bar area was not particularly sanitary so you have to wonder what the kitchen was like...

I guess the final frustration was the fact we felt like we were being ripped off. Not only by the cost cutting attempts with the food but that because of its 'secret location' you have to pay for Dwarka's own taxi to get you to and from the venue. We paid 1200 rupees to get from the airport to nearby agonda in an air con car previously, but were charged 1400 in the falling-aprt non a/c car of dwarka. When I challenged the proprieter I was told that they pay their drivers more due to the bumpy road. One would have thought that regular work would reduce the cost. Also funny that we paid our taxi fair direct to dwarka...

Overall I would go for the scenery for a couple of days, but be careful what you eat, and take some dried snacks for those hungry evenings! Not the paradise it has the potential to be.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TeamDCGC
dwarkagoa, Owner at Dwarka Eco Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2010

We are really surprised that the food was not good as all the guests have loved our food and the freshness of it..one has to know that we do not have electricity and hence dont refrigerate our food..vegetables and fish or chicken is bought daily twice a day and cooked fresh!! our kitchen and bar is open to all guests for an inspection anytime.we have a 3 km stretch of really rough road and thats why we pay our drivers a little bit more as thier tyres and shock absorbers do get damaged more often.We also dont like to encourage other taxis to come there as they always harass the guests for more money after they reach dwarka due to the bad roads.Would also like to mention that dwarka is brought down completely to floor level after the season, every year and built again every year! ask for the photo album at the bar which self explains the process and the pains behind it.

Reviewed August 12, 2010

From the people to the location there is no faulting this as the perfect place to stay. Unbelievably relaxing, yet a 10 minute boat ride from the mayhem of palolem. The staff were keen to point out dolphins, which you could see in the distance from the dining area, and the food was delicious, especially for the price!!

Wouldn't hesitate to go back there next time i'm in goa!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2010

What a gorgeous place this is. The location is superb, with the sea on one side of the beach and the freshwater lagoon on the other. The huts are simple but gorgeously made and extremely comfortable, and the setting in the palm trees is stunning. Delicious food included in the price, making it great value for money and the staff are so friendly and kind. I was travelling by myself, but everybody made me feel truly comfortable and welcome. In the evening there is a bonfire on the beach which is great for encouraging people to mix and chat. The icing on the cake is the 'spa' tent where I had the best massages I've ever had.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2010

This was definitely the highlight of our trip to India. The huts are basic but clean and comfortable (I would advise taking a mosquito net though!) and the location is pure heaven. The lagoon is the purest water i've ever been in, and the beach is picturesque. The staff were absolutely wonderful, full of humour and ready to help with anything you need. The food was INCREDIBLE!!!! Always something different, always delicious. great cocktails too!! I would also recommend getting a massage there, probably the best i've ever had. Quite simply this place is amazing, I would definitely make the time to go there if you can.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2009

I have been to dwarka goa in last november 2008. it was my first day in goa, first time in goa. it is 30 min driving in car from margao, initially on national highway 17 and then to rough roads. at some patches I wondered road exist or not but when I entered the place, i was speechless. amazing views. totally pristine, serene and clean place. luckily we were only guest that day. huts were clean, placed at good distance from each other. basic facility there. food was great. electricity available from 7 to 10 p.m. we were welcomed by very much friendly and courteous staff. lying in hamock along side of laggon overlooking sea is one of the best experience in life. lagoon water was clean and inviting for swimming. beach was clean, no sign of garbage or crowd as seen on other beaches of goa. this places is real hidden gem. walking along small beach was relaxing. swimming in sea is not advisable as undercurrent is high. playing cricket and football in evening and hinking to nbearby hillock to see sunset was really enchanting. staff was helpful and provided dinner on the beach. early morning seen of cola beach is amazing scene where laggon water meets sea in backgroud of sunrays. usp of this place is sweet water lagoon meets sea in backdrop of hills with clean beach. this places is not known to many and I wish it will be same for years. worth visiting who look for peace of mind, for couples, for honeymoon etc.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank jshah1677
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I spent the first 5 days of my Honeymoon in Dec 2008 at Dwarka and realised that the start could not have been better :) ... After an inconspicuous road travel, we reached the place and the first words we exclaimed were ---- WOW ! The photographs on the website do not fool you for sure ;) .... Located right on the beach, besides a small stream, surrounded by palm / coco trees its certainly a hidden abode....

They have around 15 shacks with cosy beds and clean bathrooms.. No luxuries here (electricity only from 7 pm to 2 am but you hardly miss it as you soak yourself in the sun on the sexy beach / place yourself on the hammocks in the palm shades) but the location is so beautiful, secluded from the maddening Goa we all know that you dont mind paying what a hotel would charge...(www.dwarkagoa.com)... Its a treat with good food included in the package.... Most tourists come here for a 1N-2D sojourn from the other crowded places in Goa... The owner Clemente and the staff are courteous and helpful with whatever you need there....The food served is fresh and they serve all meals at the dining area facing the sea...

We became beach bums, saw some of the most beautiful sunsets, swam in the sea all alone and felt like it was our own island... there are couple of other properties on the same beach but fortunately they hardly had any guests ;) The staff helped with bonfires on the beach in the evenings with the moon glistening on the sea....Music to keep our love soaked spirits warm...

We loved every moment we were there and keep reminiscing the days spent there everytime we think of a break in our hectic lives

Go there...and have experience of a lifetime :)

Bon Voyage,
Ravi & Gayatri

P.S: Wondering why we havent told where the place exactly is...?? Well, we want to keep it a secret as far as we can :)

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rawalravi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canacona
The LaLiT Golf & Spa Resort Goa
#3 of 19 in Canacona
Om Sai Beach Huts
Om Sai Beach Huts
#1 of 62 in Agonda

Been to Dwarka Eco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!