“Homely and utterly relaxing haven amidst the tumult of Calangute”
Review of Casa Aleixo

Casa Aleixo
Ranked #37 of 206 Calangute B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Homely and utterly relaxing haven amidst the tumult of Calangute”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I chose Casa Aleixo in Goa because of the reviews it received on tripadvisor and was not disappointed.

Since I didn't know which area of Goa to stay in, I chose to go for an area with a high selection of restaurants, and therefore chose the Calangute/Baga stretch. On a side note, before I address the hotel itself, this strech is very built-up, the road is narrow and over-crowded with cars, taxis, rickshaws, pedestrians, cattle and scooters. It felt dangerous at times and frankly was the biggest turn-off of that area. It does however offer a wide array of shops, restaurants, bars, beach shacks and clubs, so keep this in mind when choosing your Goa destination.

Casa Aleixo is located right off the main road, but thanks to its beautiful large front garden, you will forget this as soon as you've turned into the driveway.
I started corresponding with Wilfred, the owner, a couple of weeks before our trip and if I wasn't yet convinced to stay there from the reviews, his prompt , friendly and detailed responses certainly did. He agreed to accommodate us outside of his regular opening period - at the end of October - prior to his planned opening in November.
We booked three rooms for the group of five adults that we were and upon arrival were given the choice of which rooms we wanted to stay in of the five air-conditioned rooms on the first floor. The first floor is spacious and airy and provides ample common space, ideal in our case, since we could sit on the outdoor terrace or in the living/dining/reading room and enjoy each other's company.
The rooms are basic, but very functional and spacious, with clean and well-functioning bathrooms. The beds were on the hard side, but the staff were more than accommodating when I requested an additional mattress for extra softness.

The staff deserves a special mention for their friendly and discreet service. They went out of their way to help make our stay comfortable. They were always prompt to serve us, be it in the house or by the pool.
The pool and the garden at the back of the house are what truly lend its haven-like quality to Casa Aleixo. The whole area is beautifully maintained and laid out, and cuts one off from the hustle and bustle of Calangute. We spent the most relaxing day lazing in the shade of the beautiful trees, swimming in the refreshing pool and observing colourful butterflies and birds.
Casa Aleixo offers a selection of Continental (included in room rate), American or Goan breakfasts. Go for the Goan bread, even with the Continental and ask for fresh local fruits (delicious sweet bananas).

Wilfred arranged our airport transfers and our sightseeing tour to Old Goa with a very reliable and clean private taxi company. They are more expensive than catching a taxi on the street, but guaranteed vehicles large enough to accommodate all five of us and working a/c.

If I had to find one minus to Casa Aleixo, it would probably be its location in the middle of the Calangute-Baga stretch, since you have to count a good 20 minutes walk in either direction to reach the restaurants and beaches of Calangute or Baga, or take taxis which will set you back Rs. 100 to either centre.

I would recommend Casa Aleixo to anyone looking for a friendly, clean, beautiful retreat in the middle of this busy area. Thanks to Wilfred and his staff for making our stay so enjoyable and memorable. I guarantee we will be back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
desouzawm, Owner at Casa Aleixo, responded to this review, October 27, 2010
Hello !
Your very generous appreciation is a great source of inspiration for all of us at Casa Aleixo. Thanks very much for your gracious presence and kind words.

Wilfred

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
AHMEDABAD
Reviewed May 20, 2010

From the moment we spoke on the phone to spending our first night to leaving was nothing short of meeting, living and leaving some old friends. The hotel itself and surrounding made me feel so relaxed. Within hours I was as chilled out as I would have been in my own private villa. The location was stunning

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 8, 2010

Earlier this year, I traveled (alone) to India for the first time, and landed at Casa Alexio in Goa. I couldn't have been more lucky. The place is beautiful, well located, and impeccably clean. Far more impressive, however, were the owners of the establishment. On my first night in this foreign place, Wilfred (one of the owners) knocked on my door and invited me to have dinner with him and his wife. Knowing that I was alone, he brought me down to his family's living area, where we shared (many) glasses of delicious scotch and wine, and freshly caught mackrel and crab legs. As delicious as dinner was, the conversation was even better -- Wilfred's family is from Goa, and he and his wife shared with me many stories about the magical place. By the time I left Goa, six days later, I felt like I was leaving behind friends. All in all, Casa Alexio is as charming as its owners. Don't miss out on the opportunity to stay there.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Varanasi
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Wow...that's what i can all say about our tour...we all had an amazing tym here,especially some romantic tym with my gf...lots of happy moments gaind at this place..have a visit here..i bet u wont regret..

• Stayed September 2009
Delhi
Reviewed March 23, 2010

As we landed in Goa on that hot early summer afternoon we knew our decision of having little bit of adventure by not booking the hotel in advance, was going to be a lot more fun than we could handle.
We were duped by the taxi driver and were forced to see some real cheap no good hotels on Tito lane in Calangute beach area and after no luck and a lot of sweat we broke free from the grip of our smart cabbie. We got lucky as in our first attempt we found this well kept property right by the beach (it’s just 5 minutes walk from the beach). It’s is so beautiful that you would be envious of the owner (Pictures attached). However the highlight of the place is the first class service, courteous staff and little distant though very caring owner, Wilfred. The place is kept in such a way that you would always have all the privacy you would need. We had other fellow residents during our stay and we never realized that till we asked our host. Rooms are air conditioned (NON AC rooms are also available on demand), tastefully decorated and are laced with TV and refrigerator. In the Tariff, breakfast is included and they are courteous enough to change the normal course on demand. Taxi service is also made available if asked for. The location is just perfect as you have Beach, Pubs, Market and ATM right next to the resort. In case you are a Veggie. there is a pure vegetarian food joint just around the corner. If you are heading to Goa for just relaxing, there is an open air Italian place that I would recommend for a quiet dinner and drinks. All in all, with its location, serenity and courteous service Casa Aleixo serves the purpose of making your vacation worth remembering.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed March 4, 2010

This is a lovely, family run bed and breakfast/hotel set in a beautiful garden. Our genial hosts Wilfred and Jean went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed. The staff is helpful and friendly. If you don't feel like going to the beach, there is a well maintained swimming pool. A very substantial breakfast was included. All in all, excellent value. Even though there is no restaurant on the premises, there are many good ones within a few minutes walk

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Pune
Reviewed February 23, 2010

I just returned from my trip to Goa a week back. Being a spontaneous trip, I hadn't booked anything in advance. Me and wife just wanted a break from the city life and our over hectic routines. After reaching Goa, we were just looking for the decent places to stay but weren't very pleased with the ones near Calangute so decided to drive to the Baga beach to look for some. While driving, my wife happened to catch a glance of this beautiful bunglow and said how she wished she could stay here. That was when I thought of giving it a shot. As the luck would have it, there was a room available- the last one, a non-AC room. We booked it in without second thoughts. So beautiful and serene are the front and the rear gardens, that you may just spend a while in the campus itself. The swimming pool is damn neat and a cute one. Hadn't really thought I'd be using a swimming pool while in Goa but just couldn't resist. The rooms are neat and the gardens lush. The owners very genuine and are pretty good to talk to. The staff is extremely helpful and go out of their way to help the guests.
Stayed here for 4days/3 nights and enjoyed every bit of it. I am certainly going to come back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sllmhjn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calangute
Fahrenheit Hotels and Resorts
Ticlo Resorts
Ticlo Resorts
#32 of 110 in Calangute
The Baga Beach Resort
Colonia Santa Maria (CSM)
Hotel Bonanza
Hotel Bonanza
#11 of 24 in Baga
Hotel Shelsta
Hotel Shelsta
#47 of 206 in Calangute

Been to Casa Aleixo? Share your experiences!