The Ronil Royale
Estrela Do Mar Beach Resort(Calangute)
$45
$41
Agoda.com
$39
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbaga beachbustling streetinclusive breakfastswimming pooltito's laneparking facilityclean roomsnight lifeeasy accessexcellent stayanthonyvegsunbedsmrgoahospitalitywheeler
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I came here with my 13 year old granddaughter for 3 weeks and we both had an amazing time. I had already of been to Goa 6 times before but unlike my granddaughter it was her very first time visiting Goa but within the first week she fell in love and didn't want to go home.

Hotel was very clean, staff where all very nice and made us feel welcome and like family, food was great although we only ate from there once or twice and our room was great too, I picked a perfect place to go can't think of anywhere better.

The beach was not too far and me and my granddaughter walked their everyday and walked home again when it was time to go and get ready for tea time. It took us about 15 to 20 minutes walking but we didn't mind one bit as we where not just keeping fit we where getting a tan at the same time.

The hotel was amazing and the location is too, this is a great place to go on Holiday and I hope this review has helped you. If you're looking to go here or looking to go on holiday, come here because it is truly amazing trust me.

Thank you so much for reading, have a nice day.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank JMcJones
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Location : Ummm....er.... this is Goa we're talking about. Throw a pebble into the air and it will land on a hotel or a home stay. So I would much rather go to a place that has a beach within walking distance. And a place that has access to many other food joints - especially seafood! This resort is located a little away from the beach, and is also a tad difficult to locate if your driver is not a local guy. Also, if you do not have a car, going to any other food joint is impossible, and you are pretty much at the mercy of the hotel chefs (more on that later).

Rooms : Well, lets just say that the first room that was given to me, I was aghast, and after a few threats, I was shown another room, in a similarly sad state, but cleaner. The place looked like the owner was just milking the resort without actually investing anything back. Once upon a time the resort would have been a pretty place, with rooms and balconies that overlooked the pool. But today, it needs renovation, and prayers.

Service : After 11 pm and before 7.30 am, don't expect your phone calls to the reception to be picked up. And God forbid if you need an early breakfast - in the words of the service staff, "The breakfast starts at 7.30 am. And 7.30 means 7.30." (complete with crossed arms and grumpy face). A sucker for trouble, I decide to see if "7.30 means 7.30..." And guess what - 7.45 am and the chef walks in whistling a tune, hands in his pocket, unaware of the smoke coming out of my ears!

At the reception, I thought I'd pour my woes out to the grandfatherly Front Office Executive, and he simply said, "Whatever you want to say, you can write in this remarks book." Yeah right! As if the report would reach the right person! In fact, as if the 'right person' cared!!

Facilities : The pool was clean. The washroom was clean. (in need for maintenance, but clean). Don't expect fluffy towels and feather soft beds - these are worn out too. Clean, yes. No toiletries to boast of. Luckily I carry my own.... the ones kept in the washroom were not in any sense of the word, appealing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank msnDelhi
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here over Xmas and New Year 2012. It was the ideal base for our holiday. A small well staffed hotel, rooms cleaned and sheets/towels changed every day. Food fine, staff all very nice but best of all is the location and price. Ideally placed for walking to the beach with direct access to the busy road outside for evening restaurants and entertainment. However, being in one of the rear blocks (overlooking the pool) we were never troubled by street noise. Although basic, this hotel had everything we could want (other than wifi access) for a very cheap price. Although rarely watched, we even had a TV with about a hundred channels, many of which were English.
We had a fantastic three weeks and can recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a small, basic, but well located hotel at a fraction of the price for others in the same area.
many, Many thanks.

Room Tip: Don't be frightened to voice concerns. Our first night was spent on an awful mattress. The following day, we spoke with the room staff who moved a nearly new mattress into our room, repairing the bed at the same time. Thereafter, we slept extremely well every night.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Beautiful resort in one word. .. very close the the famous Baga beach. this was my 2nd stay in this resort and i must say it has only improved in all the way.However one need to book this resort in advance in you are planning to travel in the peak season. we all just loved the buffet breakfast that comes complimentary with the stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Some of the reviews here are for the sister hotel next door The Ronil Beach resort which is not accessed from the Royale. The Royale is very much smaller ,the rooms are basic but clean ..we had a cracked toilet, mould in the grouting and a bathroom window that wouldnt close...the room was cleaned and the beds/ towels changed daily. The swimming pool was small and while we were there (6 days) I watched the pool boy clean it out everyday which made no difference to it as the water was murky and needed to be drained and refilled....we didnt venture in .We normally have a pool day during our stay but not this time.
Breakfast was tea, juice and 2 slices of toast with marmalade.
The restaurant was busy in the day and the evening but we didnt visit.
The safe deposit boxes are in reception. There are no fridges in the rooms.

Room Tip: Make sure you have the right hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple