“First trip to Goa...they made it Special !!”

Treebo Santiago Beach Resort
Ranked #26 of 116 Hotels in Calangute
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I just came back from my first trip to goa. The hotel was really good. We selected MAP plan for our 5 nights/6 days stay. The Breakfast and Dinner was awesome. The staff was really very supporting. We really miss you Sadananad, Walter, Samarjeet & Taheer. Even though we are vegetarian, they provided us so many options as per our choice. The best thing was location. The hotel is just 5-10 mins walk away from Calangute beach. It is only 10 mins away from Dominoz, Titos and Baga beach. The hotel provided transfers as per their promise during my online payment. 24hour security, 24*7 reception sevices were also awesome. The only thing that might be on lower light is Rooms. Rooms are very clean and spacious but they are very simple. They really need to renovate them with special lights, walls and furnitures. Swimming pool was also very nice. Certainly you can choose this for your stay in Goa. Planning to visit it again soon.

Room Tip: Rooms facing west sides can be good option to stay
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank myfirsttrip
There are newer reviews for Treebo Santiago Beach Resort

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Staff are smiley, friendly & helpful to ALL guests, whether from UK, India or elsewhere. We had a a lot of Indian guests there for New Year and had a great time, wonderful people.
Arrived at Hotel Santiago at 2.30 in the morning. Facing a dark bumpy road and feeling apprehensive, we were greeted by the smiling hotel staff who carried our cases for us.
Was quickly checked in and went to our room. My friend`s face was a picture, she said “it’s not the Hilton is it”. No its Goa, but after the first night and getting over travelling. WE LOVED IT
Room
Basic - but very clean. Twin bedded room with ceiling fan & air con, living area with extra bed as there were 3 of us. TV were never switched on. Kitchen area had a full size fridge with freezer box was equipped with cold beer, water and soft drinks. Kettle, coffee, tea & sugar. Tea was Tetley but doesn’t taste like ours, take your own. Coffee was Nescafe and good. Close the bathroom window in the nights to stop Mozzies getting in. Had a lovely balcony overlooking the pool. Ideal for an early morning cup of tea, with smiles from the staff.
We were AI as it wasn’t much difference to do this as to book flights.
Had a Thai restaurant where the food was brilliant, it was qui et, don’t know why, because the food was good. Staff were attentive and friendly. Excellent all around.
They also had an A la carte menu with a mixture of Goan dishes to steak & chips. They will cook whatever you ask for if they can, even if not on the menu.
The best food was when the Indian gusts visited for New Year and they done a more traditional buffet for them. WOW, spicy, traditional and truly good food. Some of the best meals I have ever had. They seem to think “us brits” cant do too spicey
Breakfast was a mix of traditional Goan with the omelette, toast, fruit options thrown in. Couldn’t fault it
STAFF,
This is what made this hotel and the holiday. THEY ARE AMAZING AND MAKE THIS HOTEL. I have never been anywhere, and I have travelled a lot, where the staff have gone out of their way so much to make your stay so enjoyable. By the end day they all remembered your name, I’m glad they had name badges as I have a head like a bucket. They cannot do enough for you, and it’s totally genuine. I really hope the Management appreciate what they have in their staff as without them it would be nothing. I cannot thank them enough for such fantastic hospitality.
Out & About
Gavin our Thomas Cook rep is a character and a half,, he’s brilliant, helpful, knowledgeable
We booked Elephants Castaway and Charity Gala dinner. All were brilliant. Castaway was a night or 2 in a tent on a deserted beach. The tent was fantastic, with en-suite bathroom. GLAMPING not camping
We visited Coco Joes bar nearly every day on Baga Beach. Again, the staff couldn’t do enough for you. Would even go and get a bottle of sea water to wash the sand off your feet, nothing is too much trouble. A lot of the “shack” staff are unpaid, they work for free and in return can offer their services, such as massage. This is their income. Even if you don’t want a massage they still look after you day and day out. We spent New Year’s Eve with them and it was AMAZING. We took lots of sweets / chocolate for the kids, they loved it, especially the children on the beach that were trying to was I have never seen such gratitude on anyone’s facei n all of my life. That look will haunt me forever. You should have seen him when I gave him a fiver.
We bought fruit on the beach every day, and the smiles we got made my day. Even though we didn’t eat it all, the kids, cows and buffaloes on the beach enjoyed it, and we helped the fruit ladies my making their “ wallets heavier and their loads lighter”. They work so hard.
Had nails / pedicure done 3 times on the beach… never do this at home but for £2.50,,,,
We saw a man sat in the dirt on the side of the road, obviously homeless collecting dry wood to start a fire. We stopped and gave him mangoes and 100 rupees, £1. He started cryuing and kissing our feet
A jeweller called Lucky`s Emporium opposite Cuba bar on way to beach was recommended. And my friend had a very expensive diamond reset in a ring. I have never ever seen her lost for words, but when she got it back she was so pleased she nearly cried. I then had a blue & white diamond ring made, its stunning, pic added but it doesn’t do it justice. I don’t normally buy things for me,,, but the comments I have had on it make me so happy.
We have had such an amazing time, 2 weeks is certainly not enough? In fact we are back again to Santiago Hotel in April.
I cannot commend this hotel & its staff enough even though they had to put up with rude arrogant Russians, not tarring everyone with the same brush, but the “smiles”, “pleases” & “thank you`s” were few and far between.
Everyone here survives on tips, their wages are diabolical, a waiter gets about £50 - £60 a MONTH. So don’t forget to tip the excellent service, its how they survive.
THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for making it such a memorable holiday. Now I know why so many guests return again and again
Walter, David, Christopher, Sam, Pritesh, Nez, Lakesh, Paulo, Hiacynth, Sadar, Tahil, Chandon, Sunil, Lynn and Nundu. And anyone else I haven’t mentioned
Jo

Room Tip: we had a pool room which was excellent
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 22, 2014

27/12/13-10/01/14
If you go on holiday to explore and enjoy yourself, then go to this hotel. The rooms are very basic, so if you go on holiday to stay in your room, then stay home.

I traveled with my mum and mum's friend. Here's how our amazing holiday went...
We were dropped off on the main road (Baga Road) and were greeted by the hotel's porters. They carried all of our cases down the lane to the hotel. They were very polite and friendly, even though it was around 2am. The lane to the hotel can be a bit bumpy and it gets dark at night, but it is safe. It is also nice to be set back from the busy main road where everyone seems to love beeping their horns.
We were greeted by the reception staff who were friendly. Unfortunately they were unable to exchange money for us to find a cold beer, but they informed us that there are cold beers in the room's fridge.

Rooms:
As I said, the rooms are basic. But you must remember that you are not in the UK now, you are in India. Our room consisted of twin beds in the bedroom and a single bed in the lounge area. Beds are a bit hard and squeaky but you get used to them, We had two ceiling fans and air conditioning. The rooms were kept clean and towels are changed every other day. There are towels available from the bar to lounge by the pool. We had a safety deposit box to keep our belongings. The box's are in a room next to reception where a security guard sits from 9am to around 11pm. The security guy is lovely and your belongings are safe.
Buy a room spray for the mozzies and spray room before going out in the evening. Another mozzy tip... Spray mozzy spray into shower gel. A couple we met done this and didn't get bit once.

Staff:
The staff made this hotel. They all came up to shake our hands and introduce themselves. They all knew our names by the second day. They really couldn't do enough for you. They were all genuinely friendly too. I would like to thank all of the staff, this includes Walter, David, Christopher, Sam, Pritesh, Nez, Lakesh, Paulo, Hiacynth, Sadar, Tahil, Chandon, Sunil, Lynn and Nundu. Apologies for spelling mistakes and if I have missed anyone out. You were ALL fantastic. It is worth visiting this hotel just to experience their customer service.

Food:
Food was lovely. Breakfast is buffet. It includes different types of hot food, for example, Goan style breakfast. Cereals, fruit and toast is also available. You can also ask the chef to prepare something else like an omelette or bacon and egg.
Lunch is also buffet which can have some really tasty things on there.
Tea is great. At the beginning there were a few Indian guests so there was a buffet available every night. I really enjoyed this because the food was tasty, traditional and spicy. When the Indian guests left, the buffet every night stopped. There is an a la carte menu available which is included in an all inclusive package. If you like spice, then I suggest you asking for spice. Otherwise it will come mild. There is a buffet every Sunday, which was nice but not as good as the other buffet which was every night. This is because the food was catered for us Brits, so wasn't spicy at all. You can always ask for extra chilli's like I did. There is a Thai restaurant too which is lovely. We visited here a few times and enjoyed it every time. It is very quiet here, so if you are looking for some peace and quiet, head to the Thai.

Drinks:
The drinks are great. Certain cocktails are included with the all inclusive package. You also get bottled Kingfisher beer on the all inclusive. Bar is open from 11am-11pm. After 11pm, the terrace bar opens upstairs. You have to pay for the drinks and the bar is all inside. The fridge in your room is always stocked up and David was always asking us if we had enough water for our fridge. The staff really does take care of you here.

Entertainment:
There was entertainment pretty much every night. Some bands were not so good, but others were fantastic. We had traditional Indian dancers and acrobats too. We tipped the entertainers and they were very grateful for it. I think we were the only ones who did tip them.

Thomas Cook Rep:
Gavin was our cheeky chappy rep. He was such a character but was great at his job. Any worries, go to Gavin.

Trips:
You can book trips with your rep like we did. We went on an elephant ride/wash, castaway and the Bollywood Charity Dinner. All of them were fantastic. There is a shop on the way to the beach called Lucy's. They do tours which are cheaper than the rep and cigarettes are also a reasonable price here.

Tips:
Please do tip the staff. If you receive the same treatment as we did then they deserve it. Staff in Goa earn a very low wage compared to us in the UK and they survive on their tips. The tips are not shared, so we tried to give a tip to everyone. But you can mention that it is for them to share.

Beach:
We visited Baga Beach most of the time and had one day at Morjim Beach. We didn't really enjoy Morjim as it was full of Russians. Baga Beach is busy and people do approach you to buy their stuff. We took sweets for the kids. When the kids approached us, we gave them sweets and they went away without any hassle. The children are also very polite, unlike some Russians we came across there. The sea is pretty rough so it is not suitable for non swimmers. We bought fruit from the lovely ladies on the beach. We bought the fruit even if we didn't want it ourselves. The children and cows enjoyed some of the fruit. Yes... There are cows on the beach. They are no harm though. Be careful when going into the sea. Even though the shack's try to keep their part of the beach clean, my mother stood on a broken glass bottle in the sea. I'm not saying don't go into the sea... Just be careful. Also, a polite 'Maka Naga' to those trying to sell you things will send them on their way.

We were here for New Year's Eve. There was a Gala dinner to celebrate which was included in the all inclusive package. We had entertainment all night, the staff were dressed up and looked fantastic, the whole pool area was decorated. We were served a starter and then buffet was available. There was also champagne which was available to order. After food, we made our way to Baga Beach where we celebrated NYE. It was the best New Year's Eve I have ever had. They had bonfires, fireworks. The atmosphere was just amazing!

One other tip... Don't forget your visa! A couple who was on the same flight as us forget theirs. They are thinking about changing the visa application process to being able to get one at GOI Airport. Check when booking.

I hope this long essay helped and has persuaded you to visit Hotel Santiago. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

We enjoyed it so much that we are hopefully visiting again in April 2014.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shortyjay21
Reviewed January 17, 2014

No respect given to Indians, and very bad management.. We have booked two rooms for us with full payment done. when we reached the hotel they said only one room is booked. and They said there are no extra rooms available. After making us to wait for 1 hour, they called some manager and gave us two rooms. Rooms are not so good. And very ill treatment by staff to indians as compared to other foreign tourists.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank bRajkiran
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Just got back from this hotel yesterday , we were there for Xmas and new year . Fantastic !!!! The hotel is slightly dated and a bit basic compared to European standards but all the staff more than made up for that . Xmas day and New Years Eve evenings were made extra special thanks to all the hard work from all the hotel staff . The atmosphere was wonderful . Good choice of food at the pool restaurant , we ate there every night for 2 weeks . The resort its self was very busy at this time of year but it was the best xmas I ve ever had

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Excellent service here the staff are pretty damn gud . Rooms very basic but ok .food very good although breakfast could be better. pritesh and david are very nice as are most of the others.we would like to come back again as we were well looked after.Also if your thinking of buying jewelry, jack has a shop just outside of the hotel he will make you anything you like.Ihad some diamonds earings made and had them valued when I returned to uk they said nearly 5 times more than I paid so very happy.:thanks jack hope to return soon frm sharon.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank dazshaz
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Overall: a lovely relaxing hotel in the busy Goa beach strip. Pool is lovely and all rooms have pool facing balconies. No wifi.
Cleanliness: simple rooms, clean and neat
Staff: Friendly and helpful
Location: 10 min walk to beach, close to many resteraunts/shopping
Food: With such good views on offer at the beach we did not eat here, but they set up tables by the pool which looks nice, breakfast buffet OK.
Wifi: none on offer here, will need to hit up local cafés which all have wifi (only works during the day)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calangute
SinQ Beach Resort
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Goa - Arpora - Baga
Chalston Beach Resort
Chalston Beach Resort
#2 of 116 in Calangute

Been to Treebo Santiago Beach Resort? Share your experiences!