“Be careful about your belongings! Thefts from rooms”
Review of Mapple Viva Goa

Mapple Viva Goa
Ranked #101 of 110 Hotels in Calangute
London
“Be careful about your belongings! Thefts from rooms”
Reviewed April 2, 2008

I wouldve rated this hotel very highly but instead Im on here warning other people about thefts from our rooms. 14 of us were staying there and 3 of us had someone rifle through our bags. I was first and had money stolen so I told the others. A second girl also had someone go through her bags but she had no money in it so nothing was taken. After I told the rest of the group, one of the other girls counted her money to check it was all there and it was, we then went out to dinner came back and she noticed that her bag had been moved and counted her money again and 5000 rupees had been taken. We complained to the management who said it could not have been their staff and refused to do anything. Their attitude seemed to be well we are tourists so we have money so why should they care. And as far as they were concerned, the girl who had nothing taken, they just didnt think it was a problem that someone had gone through her bag if they didnt take anything. The police too seemed indifferent about it and told us to fill in a report and claim on insurance. I am now sending a letter to the head office in the hope that something will happen.

• Stayed March 2008
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank T_Daly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dallas
Reviewed January 6, 2008

Hotel has changed ownership several times in last few years. When we visited there were very few non Indians. I was told by staff that the hotel is not connected to any "chartered tour operators". I got the feeling that the place is slowly imrpoving.
Good: location was good. We had bought a meal plan. Meals were nice and staff was helpful. Best hot shower in India! Hotel was safe. Local people were always helpful. We even rode a local bus from Baga to Calangute for four rupees each. Bus got crowded but the people were polite and minding their own business.
So So: Room was clean initially but we had to call three times to get room cleaned second and third day. We were asked to load up with two other families in one SUV for "tour". When I pointed out to them that this SUV cannot carry 11 passangers, they provided us with a car but no guide. While helpful, the staff was not very knowledgable. Most of the staff we talked to was from out of state.
Bad: Calangute beach was over crowded with mostly men who had no manners, and several of them tried to bother my daughter, leading to a problem. Luckily for us, the local shack owners at the beach helped us out. Baga beach was worse.
Tip: If you go to the beach, rent the beach chairs for about RS 50 to 100. Better, avoid public beaches. While beaches in Goa are good they are dirty with great deal of littering and vendors constantly bothering us.
Food: Before eating sea food or chicken, visit the local fish market around ten AM. I saw a sting ray of some sort just lying on the concrete as the fisherman was hacking some other fish into pieces. No refrigeration enywhere. I saw chickens (live and skinned) and I was not sure if I would eat any meat there of any kind after that litle experience.

Stayed December 2007
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2007

After a hectic GAP tour of Northern India, my wife and I were happy to end our tour in the beautiful Hotel Mapple Viva in Goa.

After having stayed in sub-par hotels throughout, we were treated to a beautiful hotel with a pool, excellent and well-priced restaurant and wonderful service.

The immaculate room was spacious with a colour television and satellite, air conditioning bar and queen-sized bed.

The location was a bit far, 10 minute walk from the beach, but an auto-rickshaw (tuk-tuk) can cut that time in half.

The staff was accommodating and let us store our luggage free of charge while our room was readied so we could tour the beach.

Several excellent restaurants are nearby and, as I said above, the hotel is attached to a restaurant - The Blue Note Café - which had the best western food I'd had in India during my stay and for the incredible price of Rs. 250 (about US$ 6.25).

All in all, a wonderful time!

• Liked — very clean and execellent restaurant
  • Disliked — a bit far from Calangute beach
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)