“Somy basic but friendly”
Review of So My Resort

So My Resort
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have stayed in somy for 4 years totally love goa this hotel is basic yes but staff are friendly cricketers oer the road open 24 hours great place to eat going again next year after a break to egypt yes standard room small just upgrade bigger rooms tv and dosent cost much ruppees

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arlloyd
There are newer reviews for So My Resort

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We have stayed at the Somy 3 times now and we are sick and tired of people slanting it , India is a third world country you ignorant idiots , so accommodation will be extremely basic , the staff are brilliant , ask for anything & they will do it for you & no they don't automatically expect a tip, it's location is great lots of bars & restaurants all around and only a lazy 10 min walk to the beautiful beach , so god no's where these lazy people are coming from. As for Russian & all other sorts of nationalities they have a right to a holiday to if you don't approve just ignore . Brilliant location , bed , shower, somewhere to dump your suitcase and extremely friendly what more could you ask for apart from goa it's self , vibrant , busy & colourfully .

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Emma C
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I will keep this short and sweet and add a little more :D

Overall you get what you pay for people!! If you paid for 2* that's what you will get. I have travelled a lot in my life and i can honestly say this hotel was about 3*.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, rooms clean and spacious. I never made it to breakfast but my friend said it was good. I ordered room services and the food was great!

The downside is of course distance from the beach but hey, we go some scooters and made life much easier!!

Not much else to say because i really did not spend much time in the hotel as i was always at the beach or partying somewhere. If you don't like Russians this hotel is not for you because when i was there was about 90% Russians (Including myself) well i'm Ukrainian :))).

All is well my friends i believe if you go with a positive attitude and an open mind any vacation can be an amazing experience which you will remember for a life time!

Room Tip: Ask them for a Pool View room as anything else will give a view on the road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Anton M
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was our second time staying here. Our reason for returning was that we knew what we were getting, and was better than some places my mum had previously stayed in. I must admit that it wasn't as good as the previous year. The staff were not happy due to a new management team. This resulted in them not being half as friendly or attentive as the previous year. All the cups in the morning had massive chips and cracks in them, but some guy left us his cups he bought out there for us which was lucky for us! The Russians ruined a few of the folks holidays round the pool, but i must admit we never heard them or had any run ins with them. We stayed in room Q10 and our key was actually a screw driver! Same standard as last year, however 2 plates and cups stayed on the floor out side our room door and got moved after nearly 2 and a half weeks!! We find that this hotel does us fine and probably would stay again when we return to Goa.Other people we met there had found other luxurious hotels but they all had something missing that the somy had and that was a good sized pool! The pool is one of the best you will find in and around this area, and since my other half isn't a fan of the beach it did us fine :) Around the corner from the hotel is the cricketers bar where Abhi and his team work. It has free Wifi so we had a drink here most days to make use of this (it works faster in the afternoon). Also there is a restaurant called the spice rack which is well worth a shout!!! Please remember this is India and the standard here is pretty standard of what you'll get unless you pay a fortune for something far better!! Anyway Goa itself is FANTASTIC and I hope you love it as much as we do :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chimene M
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were getting quite worried by reviews wrote about this place as it was our first trip to goa, although we had researched almost obsessively! We needn't have worried we settled in to the goan way as soon as we arrived. The somy resort is in our opinion a great base for exploring goa, we used the room mainly for sleeping and washing and occasionally used the lovely clean pool area. The rooms are very basic and dated but lots of space and cleaned daily if you want, the thing that makes the resort is the staff... They are all lovely and very helpful if your polite to them they will do there best to please you. It is basic and not for everyone but for us a great place in great location we would stay here again no problems at all! Food is not brilliant, good for snacks, but plenty of great places within walking distance. Taxi boys outside hotel all good too, ask for rock, lovely bloke. Abhis 24 hour bar the cricketers over the road is great for a beer at anytime, he's always got a friendly smile for anyone, wifi also available. Eating places we recommend are: after7, chef soumens, calangute and Jamie's in baga...top food more expensive than others but still cheap compared to home. Happy holidays

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nicola R
Reviewed March 15, 2013

standard room 1 out of ten
staff 8 out of ten
pool area 9out of ten

this hotel is indian basic and not the ritz , you only get what you pay for, if you want clean luxury you will need to dig deeper into your pockets

Room Tip: look at reviews before booking
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank spidle
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I read many reviews before I arrived at this hotel. 1.30 in the morning we arrived to a musty smelling but clean room( first hotel room We had ever seen in India) next morning our fully air conditioned two roomed accommodation looked better in the daylight. The bathroom was very clean and fresh linen and towels were given every day. I am recovering from a road accident and so sleep is difficult but despite being firm I found the beds wonderful for me. The pool area is surrounded by the hotel on three sides and trees and shrubs on the other. Other guests commented that this allowed a cooling breeze that many other hotels didn't offer. Breakfast was taken by the pool and if you took the time to speak to the staff and not summon them like many rude guests did they were very helpful. Two eggs garnished with chopped tomato and red onion served with toast was my choice most mornings.
My wife took advantage of the excellent massage, manicure and pedicure service offered at a ridiculously cheap price.

OK that's the good now for the bad summed up in one word RUSSIANS.......

Quite the rudest people you could ever meet. They spend their evenings eating dominos pizza bought from the local branch and drinking booze also bought off site. Next morning glasses bottles and food was all over the place. This was cleared away by the very annoyed pool staff .Smashed bottles were cleared away too. The problem is the Indian government like the Turkish , Cypriot and Egyptian ones before are welcoming these people with open arms unaware of what problems their fellow governments have let themselves in for. They treat the hotel staff terribly and NEVER leave a tip.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family