“Make an effort”
Review of So My Resort

So My Resort
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I read many reviews before I arrived at this hotel. 1.30 in the morning we arrived to a musty smelling but clean room( first hotel room We had ever seen in India) next morning our fully air conditioned two roomed accommodation looked better in the daylight. The bathroom was very clean and fresh linen and towels were given every day. I am recovering from a road accident and so sleep is difficult but despite being firm I found the beds wonderful for me. The pool area is surrounded by the hotel on three sides and trees and shrubs on the other. Other guests commented that this allowed a cooling breeze that many other hotels didn't offer. Breakfast was taken by the pool and if you took the time to speak to the staff and not summon them like many rude guests did they were very helpful. Two eggs garnished with chopped tomato and red onion served with toast was my choice most mornings.
My wife took advantage of the excellent massage, manicure and pedicure service offered at a ridiculously cheap price.

OK that's the good now for the bad summed up in one word RUSSIANS.......

Quite the rudest people you could ever meet. They spend their evenings eating dominos pizza bought from the local branch and drinking booze also bought off site. Next morning glasses bottles and food was all over the place. This was cleared away by the very annoyed pool staff .Smashed bottles were cleared away too. The problem is the Indian government like the Turkish , Cypriot and Egyptian ones before are welcoming these people with open arms unaware of what problems their fellow governments have let themselves in for. They treat the hotel staff terribly and NEVER leave a tip.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank channiere

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We were 3 couples (all vegetarian, I being an eggitarian) stayed here. The receptionist initially told us that there were only a few rooms left as there was a 25 rooms already reserved for some foreigners visiting the next day, but after 5 min of scanning the occupancy register they finally agreed to give us 3 rooms but all in different blocks. She told us that the rooms cost 3500 and without our bargaining she agreed to give us in 2600 for 3days. Check-in and check-out was 12noon. We were luckier to reach the hotel at sharp 11:50 am and checked-out at 11:50 am sharp.

The rooms were bigger than expected. Those were 1BHK flats with 2 balconies facing the pool and main road on the right, the Kitchen was of no use, we hardly used the living room. In the age of plasmas and LCDs their TV was the age-old regular one with analog cable connection which was non-watchable because of the poor reception. Room has a geyser with 24hr water supply and no timing restrictions for hot water though was not needed as we stayed in March (1st to 4th). Pool was always full of big bellied foreign (non-Indian) senior citizens, so we could not dare go in on anyday;). Breakfast was nothing extraordinary (regular egg omlette-bread-butter-toast-jam-tea-cofee with dips), breakfast timings are 7:30am to 10:30am.

Nearby: General store, HDFC ATM just opp hotel, Veg. restaurant Shri Kirshna (pathetic service with averge food) attached to the same building, Calangute beach (less than a km away), Club cabana (15mins far by bike).

Room Tip: Bugdet hotel if you are planning to be away the whole day and coming back to only sleep at night. Po...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Lets be straight up here - This is "budget" accomodation - There's no denying that - The place is typical cheap indian accomodation . The staff work incredibly long hours are incredibly friendly and helpful - The "resort" is on the main road between Calangute and Candolimn - there are plenty of bars eateries and shops within walking distance. For 100 rupees in a tuc-tuc or 5rupees on a bus you can be in Calangute centre .150 or 10 to Candolimn. The rooms are dated no doubt . But our towels and bedding were clean and towels were changed every day bedding once a week - This is not Europe - Don't expect european hotel standards. Be realistic.Have a great stay. We did,

2  Thank NewcastleStavros
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We were only able to stay in this hotel after upgrading our room at the cost of £65. The first room we were shown to was beyond basic - no lightshades, just bare bulbs. We were moved to a room overlooking the pool. The hotel itself is adequate for a cheap fortnight in the sun.Be sure you get down early to book a sunbed though! We ate quite often in the restaurant or by the pool and had no problems. However rats were spotted on two separate occasions! One of our fellow guests ended up in hospital twice. The room was cleaned and fresh towels and bedding provided whenever you wished. However the word cleaned is an euphemism. The glasses weren't cleaned once during the 2 weeks we were there and the bathroom sink was only cleaned sporadically. I returned to the room early one day to find the cleaners sitting on chairs, watching TV. I have never seen 2 boys move so fast! Reception let us down when we asked for a wake up call - we were being picked up at 5.30. Still waiting for the call! There wasn't even anyone awake when I handed in our key - they were all asleep on the floor and I had to climb over them.
Would we stay here again? The answer is no, but then we wouldn't go back to Goa. Too noisy and stressful for us - you take your life into your hands when crossing the road. Dirt cheap though!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an upgrade. Best rooms are at the side of the pool.
3  Thank Svea
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and i stayed at this hell hole from 10th Jan to 24th 2013.
It has to be the worst hotel i have ever stayed in (and we have been to some poor places)
We arrived in the early hours about 1.30am and was allocated room G2 at the far end of the complex.The entrance and staircase to the block was dimly lit when we entered the room we could not believe our eyes it was a total disgrace dust and dirt everywhere.we were both so tired we decided not to unpack but just rest ON the beds until the morning came.But in the cold light of day it was worse than we realised the curtains had stains and dirt all over them the floor was dirty the toilet was stained the shower area was filthy.I went to reception to insist on a move to better cleaner room this was only agreed after long row with the manager.
We were then moved into room H2 this room was slightly a bit better but not much.After spending one night in this room we had no hot water four of the nine light bulbs were not working one of the wall lights had a electrical faut with it when you switched it on it blew the mains switch
My wife found a dead cockrouch on the floor in the kitchen area and the furniture was dirty we had paint splashes on the lampshades walls touched up with different coloured paint all the walls had dirt marks and dead insects on them the toilet had a crack in the base of it.Enough was enough by this time so we contacted the Thomas cook rep to come and look at the room she too agreed that this room was not acceptable by any standards and did help in relocating us to yet another room.E6 was better than the rooms we had stayed in but not much outside the front door to E6 was a roof ladder access but this was full of bird dropping andaws never cleaned for the whole time we were there dispite me requesting this to be done on more than one occation. We had no other choice but to grit our teeth and bare it for the rest of the holiday.The grounds to the hotel were as bad as the rooms a set of plates were left on the old water feature for the full two weeks of our stay(i did point this out to one of the pool assistants but he informed me that the plates had been there for four week not two)There was a old abandond car left on the end of the main block the place was infested with rats and bird droping every where.Breakfast was a joke no fruit no cerials unless you asked you never got, the beakers had cracks and chips in them the staff in the bar are lazy and will not do anything unless your tipping them.
The so called managment and security have no control of the place many nights we had to put up with loud Russians sniffing cocaine and getting drunk around the pool area then screaming and slamming door for the rest of the night
Honestly i have never known anything like it in my life in my opinion this hell hole should be pulled down and rebuilt.

3  Thank Mark B
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Travelled with Thomas Cook whose flight experience is very good. (We are not chavs).The worst part of this hotel was the noise from other guests. They had no consideration for others and the sound of people coming back at all hours shouting and other people wheeling luggage disturbed us every night. We were in Block H and that was after being given a horrible room in Block D which we insisted on changing. However our friends were in Block D and had noises disturbing them every night. The staff were very friendly. The standard of this hotel is similar to others we have had and we have been to Goa 15 times. Would only consider this hotel again if it was very cheap

Room Tip: ask for a change if you are not happy with the room you are given
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jjaybe
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for Christmas & New Year. Yes, the rooms are basic, but I guess you get what you pay for. They were clean enough, with towels & bedding regularly changed. The fan was sufficient to keep the room at a pleasant temperature.
The pool area was kept really clean & the bar service was great, if a littkd slow. The only downside is in true 'Brits Abroad' style all the beds would be 'claimed' by 8am. People would leave towels on them & head to the beach until 3pm!
The staff in reception were friendly & helpful, as were the pool staff & restaurant staff. I wouldn't bother eating at the resort though. There are much nicer, cheaper restaurants in the vicinity. And again, the service is abysmally slow!!!
We stayed in H Block aka 'Cell Block H'. My advice would be to avoid it!!!!! It was the worst block by far. The windows had bars on them for starters! The main issue in this block was the noise though. It carried right through from top to bottom. We tried to be considerate of this but some people blatantly didn't give a s!!t & would be arguing until 4am!
The hotel attracts 2 calibres of people - the faithful returning guests who are happy to chat & offer advice on the area & Goa. And the Thomas Cool Package holiday chavs! Who sadly turn the place into a Benidorm replica!
That said, for the price we paid we would definitely go back!

• Stayed: December 2012