“Thoroughly Recommend if you don't mind a little out of way”

Palmarinha Resort & Suites
Ranked #37 of 116 Hotels in Calangute
Reviewed December 23, 2010

Stayed in 2 bedroom apartment which was amazing. Now, I have stayed at Nizmar, Highland Beach and Silver Sands, for room comparisons, this is the BEST. See photos.

The breakfast is one of the best I have seen in Goa, freshly made eggs, omlettes, fruit selection, cereals, toast, indian choice, mushroom, tomatoes - great.

The room had 2 balconies overlooking the pool. I think we were allocated the privately owned block because people had decorated their balconies with xmas decorations. The pool looked clean and tidy, although didn't use it.

Rooms were spotless. Cleaned every day with beautiful towell displays !

The ONLY downside to this hotel is location, if you like to stroll out in the evening, then this is not for you. You either have o get taxi (planty of them) or bikes. As we always use bikes, not a problem for us. I chose this hotel because it was a little way out, as I so enjoy riding home on my bike into the breeze.

Only used the restaurant for dinner on last day, due to 9.5 hr delay as First Choice paid for our lunch and dinner (Thanks) but wasn't good.

The hotel staff are truly exceptional, and the room boys excellent. On one occasion, I left my keys in the bike, and within 2 mins, the room boy knocked the door to hand it back.

1  Thank lady_well_travelled
There are newer reviews for Palmarinha Resort & Suites

Reviewed December 20, 2010

I went to stay in this hotel with my father Dec 17 to Dec 19th, 2010. My experience started on a good note but ended horribly. There were sevral issues.
1) When we asked to get the room cleaned only bed covers were changed, there were used lunch utensils which werent removed. Theer was garbage in the bin which wasnt removed. Water had come out of the firdge and was spilled on the floor. To my shock insoite of reminding them twise things werent taken care untill Iiterally forced them to clean.
2) The drinking water wasnt provided in the room until weasked for it
3) I ordered dinner in room and then person served it without the eating plates
4) The bill sent for in room dining was different wrt prices as compared to what was mentioned in the menu. I ordered for veg biryani and they charged me the prices for chicken biryani when I challenged them they told me that I had old menu and this price came from new menu. Instead of simply apologizing that a mistake was done in the billing they kept on arguing that it was because of different menu. When I saw the new menu it had the same price I had seen earlier. They were caught red handed but still had no shame and humbleness to accept it. Even the manager/owner of the hotel wasrude and was not accepting this fault. She kept on arguing with same funda of old and new menu. This was really a horrible experience for me and my Papa.

I will not recomment anyone to stay in this hotel as it is highly priced and have lack of hospitality and courtesy.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank NiveditaJ
Reviewed December 19, 2010

Spotlessly clean with very friendly staff. Although it isn't on the doorstep of any beach - they provide a free courtesy bus or you can get a taxi for minimal rupees to the main stretch...or, take a nice leisurely (but sweaty) 30 minute walk.

Reviewed December 12, 2010

Arrived back from Goa 11th December after 2 weeks stay at the Palmarinha hotel/resort Calangute.
Flying from Manchester with Monarch I was pleasantly surprised because turning many holidays down after saying Monarch is the worst airline we’ve ever travelled with, we found the cabin crew were smiling and helpful, the meals were very good and the comfort on board was no worse than any other airline. Maybe Monarch has turned over a new leaf, we’ll see.
Arriving at the Palmarinha we were given a complimentary beer (at 0730 hours), quickly checked in and shown to our room (No. 327 with balcony overlooking the pool). As we got to the room the door opened and a very powerful smell of mothballs told me there may be a problem with creepy crawlies but we accept that in Goa, then the receptionist was on the phone to remind us that breakfast is being served, so we went down and enjoyed the best scrambled eggs I ever had with grilled tomatoes and hash browns with a choice of omelets, boiled or fried eggs and a small buffet. The breakfasts were the best ones we’ve ever seen anywhere in Goan resorts/hotels and were free but a constant lack of cups, plates, teaspoons etc annoyed some folk.
The room was spacious, light and the bed was very comfortable. Housekeeping cleaned up every day and made the bed & included the best towel sculptures I’ve seen. The aircon was included in the price, along with the TV & very noisy fridge.
Our second day we looked around the hotel which was clean & tidy with friendly staff all around. The pool looked inviting so we had a swim. It was the first sign that things might not be what they seem. Being an ex pool attendant I’m not keen on seeing what we call a scum line around the pool (in a pool of this size the scum line could be cleaned every other day) and a scum layer on the bottom at the deep end. It’s where all the sun oils and greases stick to the pool wall but I thought if that’s the only thing wrong, I can live with that. The pool is a good size and we only ever used the main pool (there are 3 in all) To rent towels is expensive 400 Rs. For 2 weeks, cheaper to buy.
That evening we went to eat in the restaurant and found the food very well presented, hot and really very nice but the portions I found a little wanting, I still had room so I asked for apple pie and ice cream thinking it might fill me up, I was wrong, this too was a very small portion and at around £2 was a pretty poor show but never the less was tasty. The restaurant wasn’t very well used simply because it was overpriced and with small portions and we heard one or two say this to the bar staff. I was still hungry so we decided not to use the restaurant again (only as an emergency), the same as everyone else, quite simply it was cheaper to get a taxi into Calangute, eat and drink well and return via taxi than to eat/drink at the hotel. The drinks too were very expensive a typical price in Calangute or Candolim for a large Kingfisher was about 75/80 Rs. but in the Palmarinha was 106 Rs.
A cup of Tea elsewhere was around 25/30 Rs. But in the Palmarinha was 55 Rs. Again I saw most people not using the bar.
The hotel/resort is about half an hour walk from Calangute, the hotel taxis try to rip you off and we found our own taxi in Calangute and used him for the 2 weeks.
There was a lack of entertainment for the 25% European guests and 75% Indian guests.
All in all we enjoyed our stay and had really nothing to complain about but I wished they would realize that if they brought their prices down they’d make it pay better by everyone using the bar and restaurant. I’m sure I’d make it pay..
Would I go back to the Palmarinha? Definitely.
Would I recommend it? Definitely.
Staff were great.
Location was a little far away from the main drag but we didn’t find this a problem.
Thank you Palmarinha for an overall nice holiday experience in lovely Goa.
PS. We took our own travel kettle but wherever we put it in the room it got infested with little mites, something we expected anyway. Be prepared to see a cockroach or two, it’s normal in Goan hotels.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelmaster3
Reviewed December 6, 2010

This Hotel is basic, some of the staff try to do there best, unfortunately they do tend to be tip orientated, so if like us we gave a small tip a couple of days in then waited to see what type of service we recieved until we tipped again, the house keeping was ok, they made patterns from towels but missed small things like cleaning around the sink and shower, but on the other hand we did leave items laying around and they did not take anything.
The staff on reception were very good, excellent English, they were very helpfull, especially Quennie. there were always beds available around the 2 swimming pools. Breakfast was good. evening meal ok but personally preferred to go out to eat in the many resturaunts available. unfortunately we found the hotel to be a bit out of the way and would find something more central if we visit again.

Reviewed November 30, 2010

The location of Palmarinha is very close to calangute and if you have a bike it makes it worth. The property had two swimming pools which we found clean enough. We were actually looking at a basic stay option in Goa and found much more in Palmarinha. We got the room for around 2k per night, which i do not repent after staying in the hotel. The hotel also had a TT table and pool table on chargeable basis. Food was average.

The hotel also had several taxis lined up just outside the main gate, if that is considered an advantage !! We had a bike so never had to use those. Overall, value for money and had a decent experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Upon arrival we were greeted with a drink! we had to wait a little while til we could get into our room but this wasnt really a problem! we had a room looking out on to the fields and the road, was clean and spacious! we didnt have any hot water at 1st for a shower- was a bit frustrating- we asked about it numerous times and nothing was done but then we did have hot water after a few days! staff really nice- diego is a legend- so helpful. pools lovely, nice and clean. Hotel in a lovely quiet location which was nice. Easy access to anywhere you want to go as taxis are outside the hotel- we used same taxi driver for the 2nd week of our stay and he was very helpful he took us anywhere we wanted at whatever time and picked us up when we told him a time! overall the hotel was good. Food lovely bbq night on fri- shashlik kebab...yum yum!! loved the omlettes for breakfast too. Entertainment on the bbq night was good, the singers wernt brill but still at least it some entertainment!!!

1  Thank amy250884