“Return to the Ticlo”

Ranked #34 of 110 Hotels in Calangute
London, United Kingdom
“Return to the Ticlo”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Although on arrival I was given a good room over looking the pool area - much better than my previous visit, I have to say I was disappointed with the general hotel this time round.
The staff are fab clean the rooms daily with clean sheets & towels & the bar area & restaurant staff can't do enough for you - even jumping on a scooter to go get ice for my drink....
BUT since my last visit unfortunately the hotel has had an influx of Russian visitors who have been allowed to do & act as they please without any thought for other guests or staff!!!
It wasn't just one group either as some left more of the same would arrive - despite the soft piped music from the bar during the day they were allowed to play their own music box on full volume - buy Old Monk bottles from outside & drink from breakfast through to the following morning sitting at the same tables falling a sleep where they sat. They would order food then leave near full plates untouched & move to another table.
Sometimes they would be moved around then pool - which meant they sat singing & dancing under my balcony all night!
Having to get up early one morning to collect my son from the airport I was very upset as I'd had very little sleep because of the noise they were making - on leaving the hotel there were 3 of them sleeping on the tables & 1 still drinking the police were there & there was paper & bottles all over the floor - when we arrived back we witnessed 1 of them still drinking & another face down in his full breakfast plate!!! No a good impression for my son on his 1st visit to this hotel!!!
When staying for a month I expected to have a few chilled out days within the hotel & enjoy their food as I have previously - due to the managements total lack of authority in controlling the situations that arose I felt uncomfortable staying around the pool area - in deed the only afternoon I did sit there witnessed a verbally aggressive rant by a Russian man on a British women including threading to kill her! The staff walked the other way & even when Kevin arrived he just took there CD player from them only to return it later for them to continue to blast out the trance music!!
So although I did enjoy my time in Goa & met some new friends from the hotel which I will enjoy meeting again i very much doubt it will be at the Ticlo - especially seeing the price hike for next year!!!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here the poolside rooms are nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank boo5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have just come back from the ticlo and i Will never visit again!i were there 4 3 weeks after the 1st week somebody broke into my room whilst i were asleep and robbed me of all my money and my ipods.i told the manager but he didn't seem 2 care plus he wouldn't ring the police so rung them myself then they said it was impossible and i were lying!worst holiday ever never again!

• Stayed April 2013
8 Thank yorkshirpud

Travelers are raving about these Calangute hotels

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at the Ticlo Resort from end of March until the middle of April. Our room overlooked the pool area which was very clean. We had clean towels and bed linen every day. The food at the hotel was excellent and the staff could not do enough for you.Yes there were other guests that were a little out of order during the day by the pool (Russian) but we heard no commotion at night time. The only small thing I could critisize is the age of the furniture in the rooms...could be updated! All in all the staff were very helpful, food great, rooms clean and hot weather!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool...sun all day!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rowlinson
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was my third trip to the ticlo in two years and I have to tell everyone it has now turned into a Russian beer hole.I was there in November then again in April 2013 ,the place was full of drunken abussive Russians who gave the guests and staff a lot of trouble.The manager was told about these people playing music loud around the pool all day but. Didn't do a single thing to solve the problem.The manager Kevin is terrible as are his staff,if you are British you will be treated badly here this hotel loves Moscow so stay away.In the space of four months this place has lost the plot with Brits ,80% Moscow 20% Brit not a nice place last time there never going again to ticlo.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Manchesterlad11
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed April 6, 2013

After hearing about this accommodation by a mature lady on our flight from Heathrow to Mumbai we took her recommendation and went to the Ticlo Resort. We were shown rooms not fit for humans, the smell in one of them was unbelievable. The electrics were a fire hazard. The whole place was very shabby and filthy. The pool area was crammed, you had to try to get around the pool area with luggage to get to your rooms. At breakfast it was impossible to find a mug that wasn't either chipped or dirty.We had to ask for bedding and pillows. Because of arriving so late we had no alternative but to stay until we got our bearings and then moved away. Some of the people staying at the Tilco were rough, one man told us he was just out of jail. A punch up almost started in the bar. For the short time were there we felt very unsafe.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Sheila4332
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

stayed ther5 times but thinkit wiill be tha last russians singing and dancing under the rooms till 4in morning with large radio sitting at dinner tables with hardly a stich on not a pretty site and nothing is being done about it loads of complaints but no staff dare say ought used to be a great hotel staff would do anything for you

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank sandyles-13
manchester
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed here from Feb 17th to March 11th, this was our third visit to the Ticlo and all in all it was still an enjoyable stay.
This hotel is (as most hotels in Goa are) a simple but friendly hotel with very friendly staff who have no trouble in doing anything for you. The rooms are cleaned daily, with clean towels and clean bedding sheets as well. The hotel is mainly a clean, tidy and well organised place which seems to be run efficiently enough with it's patrons taking priority.
The forecourt/bar area is a good meeting place where people can sit and relax while getting a chance to meet new friends as well as swapping holiday stories. The food at the Ticlo is excellent with a good choice, the service is also very good.
The only negatives I can give about this hotel are that some of the rooms could do with touching up, a little paint here and there as well as some new furniture. For the second consecutive year we had to refuse the first room that we were given due to the damp/musty smell. It really wasn't what you need when you arrive in the early hours of the morning after 12 hours of traveling. We were given another room after first being told that there weren't any available but in the end the second room was satisfactory.
The only other negative is the mentioned bar/forecourt area, this area has been fully covered with a new roof which acts as a blanket holding in all the warm air, even though there are ceiling fans these only serve a purpose of circulating the warm air.
If we do return to Goa, would I stay here again? Yes but I would like some sort of guarantee that I would be allocated a decent room on arrival.

Room Tip: This hotel's safes are padlocked, if you choose to hire a safe I would advice on bringing your o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple