“A PLEASANT HOTEL - CONVENIENT LOCATION”
Review of Mira Hotel

and 1 more site!
Mira Hotel
Ranked #60 of 117 Hotels in Calangute
Reviewed December 15, 2011

A nice, clean and cosy place in a very convenient location. Moderately priced. The staff are very firendly and very helpful - typical Goan attitude. An AC room is a must specially if you plan to check in during April, May or October. The pool, though small is clean and comfortable. Linen is not changed daily, if you do require it - request for it. A drawback is that as you enter, the rooms emit camphor odour. A walking distance to the Calangute beach and the famous Eateries Infantaria and Souza Lobo.

Room Tip: For the rack rate you can find many a hotel in the vicinity.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
13  Thank apintolobo

Reviewed December 9, 2011

On our 4th trip to Goa (2nd this year) we stayed at the "Mira Hotel" It is a lovely little hotel very close to the centre of Calangute.The first morning we got there was 01.45 am and they gave us a poor room on the 1st floor.This was not what we asked for and a move was on at 08.30 the same morning..brill room P04 directly next to the pool.Superb,overhead fan,shower,toilet,sink payable A/C if reqd...no fridge or tea/coffee equip tho...
We had a word with Santos on reception and he had a fridge installed nxt day at a cheaper deal than they were offering...result.Santos also acts as a taxi driver and is a great help to people if they fancy a trip out.
All the people working there are very polite and helpful,even Salma the dog is a laugh.The breakfast is the only downfall with twice-done toast,but the boiled eggs are nice.
We would recommend this hotel to all but only on a ground floor level.It is a very clean place and the bed covers and towels are regularly changed...well done to all at the Mira..
Kev & Alicia from "BORO"

Room Tip: Ground floor-pool..
8  Thank Kev M
Reviewed December 6, 2011

My wife and I have been visiting Goa for many years now and have stayed at lots of different budget hotels but I have to say I think this was one of the best. We arrived early hours of the morning and were greeted by friendly smiling staff and check in was smooth and efficient. The stairwells of the hotel were spotless as were the rooms and a really nice touch were the many plants dotted around the hotel giving it a lovely tropical feel and showing the owners pride in the presentation of this lovely hotel. I'm not sure if I will ever go back to Goa because it has definately lost some of its charm in recent years and Friday to Sunday when the Indians hit the town it is mad busy making walking or riding on the roads more dangerous than usual. All that said we used Petes Shack on the beach at Candolim which is probably the best I have eaten in, proffessional clean and relaxed.We have done Goa to death now but there is something about the place that gets in to your soul so as the title says, Never say never and happy holidays.

7  Thank Alan P
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We arrived at 2 a.m. after a long day's travelling. The coach from the airport to Hotel was so old, we were begining to wonder if we're would ever get there! Reception staff very efficient and cases rapidly taken to your rooms. We asked if we could purchase a drink to be told the bar was shut. Please note, hot, tired travellers would very much appreciate a cold drink, if only water. After all, first impressions go a long way.
Our room was hot, no air conditioning. Clean but an overpowering sense of mothballs. After 2 nights we transferred to another room with air con. Unfortunately it over looked the main street. Noisy doesn't even begin to describe it. The traffic is bedlam with constant traffic, all blowing their horns constantly ( only goes quiet between about 2 and 5) Could just about coped with this but the worst was a tree directly opposite with hundreds of crows roosting on it, squawking from about 4a.m. Add to this wild dogs fighting for their territory, you will be lucky to get more than a couple of hours sleep. This is even with the help of alcohol !

The staff are all friendly, speak very good english and make you welcome.

Breakfast consists of 2 pieces of toast with individual jam, marmalade, butter, fruit juice and 2 urns containing hot water and milk to make tea or coffee. Served from 7 till 10 a.m. Additional items can be purchased at very reasonable prices.

Meals are served in the afternoon and evening. Ate here a few times and quality and prices both quite good.

Swimming pool and area appeared clean. Only downside is only a small area for sunbeds and mostly in the shade. Used the pool a couple of times and was always quiet (apart from someone whoose knocking down a property behind) Alas, both times my eyes were very sore after. Too much chlorine maybe? Also up one corner there is a strong smell of sewage.

Rooms very basic. 2 single beds and wardrobe. 2 plastic chairs. A kettle and couple of mugs would have been nice.

Calangute itself is mayhem. The worst is the constant harranging from taxi drivers and people trying to sell you stuff. Just be firm and carry on walking.

Has been a real culture shock but grew to love the place.Would definitely go back to Goa but somewhere less commercial.

The Mira is ONLY okay if you want a low budget holiday, but please make sure before you go that you're not at the front of the hotel and you have air con, else is unbearable.

Room Tip: Avoid road side
6  Thank northantshelen
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Not my first trip to Goa. I arrived at Mira Hotel on 17th. Nov, 11, and was initially surprised by the overwhelming smell of moth balls. I soon realized that it was to over power the smell of the bathroom and drainage. Towels were in short supply, only one per person, and not changed very often. Bedding was changed only once during my two week stay. I booked on a B & B basis, but breakfast consisted of two slices of toast, passed to me by hand {no utensils used} and the means of getting myself a cup of coffee or tea from a container full of luke warm water. Sunbeds were plentiful, as they were used very little, {the smell from the drains being unbearable}.
I was in Goa in February of this year, and had a very pleasant Holiday staying in another Hotel that cost me approx. twenty pounds more for the fortnight, and well worth it. I must say that I would not stay at Mira Hotel again free of charge.

Room Tip: This Hotel is not basic, it is inadequate
4  Thank 548PatriciaAnne
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Bill and Pat, Coventry / Reading some of these reviews I cant help but think there must be another Mira Hotel that I missed. The first thing I noticed on entering the room was the smell of mothballs, they were everywhere. We were to learn later that they were to mask the smell of the drains.When we went down for breakfast it was two slices of toast and luke warm coffee. We found the pool almost unuseable because of the smell of drains and smoke drifting over from nearby residents burning rubbish. Dirty towels were the norm and bed sheet changes only once in a fortnight. I could go on, but it would take to long. My advice would be, avoid this Hotel at all cost, even if it means paying a bit more. NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
5  Thank BILLSYLO
Reviewed November 28, 2011

There was 20 of us went to Calangute for my daughters wedding and 6 of us stayed at the Mira it was the best hotel out of all the others in fact another couple stayed at the Ticlo and finished up leaving their hotel and booking into ours where they were very happy after a nightmare stay at the Ticlo. Staff are friendly and very helpful and the taxi drivers out the front of the hotel were fantastic guys Vincie and Nana and Michael , we will defo go back there

• Stayed: November 2011