“Good, close-to-the-roots, value-for-money stay”

Gabriels Guest House
Ranked #100 of 210 Calangute B&B and Inns
Bangalore
“Good, close-to-the-roots, value-for-money stay”
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Make no mistake... this is a no star accomodation with plush surroundings and fab cuisine. This is a no-frills, budget accomodation. But if you are the kind who like me prefers to wake up to the chirping of birds and would rather look out at swaying palms and frolicking pigs rather than manicured lawns and plastic pools.... then this is the place to be. The place is quintessentially Goan - easy going and laid back. There are a few rough edges for sure, but the warmth of Hillary and Ivy, and the location more than makes up for it. Of course, being a seasoned backpackers helps, as we rarely depend upon my hosts for our basic necessities. Their culinary offerings can do with some enthusiasm though. We were given ample hints by the hosts to try the food in the surrounding eateries and the beach shacks. Better to be safe than sorry!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Pune, India
Reviewed February 28, 2011

we had a nice stay in goa at gabriel guest house. me and my family stayed there in Feb 2011, it is close to calangute beach just few minutes walk and very relaxing place. Rooms are nice and clean also clean bed sheets and towels were provided. Sonia is a good host and very good in arranging the local goa site-seeing trips, beach is very closeby , so we had spent our more time on beach. Good service made our holidaysperfect. I will tell my friends to visit this place.
Dolphin trip was nice and even water sports was great . Dont miss Site-seeing and boat cruising in Goa, if you are on short trip, it will definately be a memorable trip.
we will visit again, Jai Ho!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Pune
Reviewed February 18, 2011

I went there in Feb 2011, First of all, the pics shown for this guest house are not real. They don't have any swimming pool. No such open space at all as shown in pics. I thought there would be a sit-out area but they don't have it & if they have it its more kind of reserve for foreigner guests. Though who don't want to spend too much on accommodation can try out this one. But truly spend near about 1000 bucks at least to get some other options available there. Last but not the least, Owner is OK.

Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

3 Thank aleen6in

Travelers are raving about these Calangute hotels

Mumbai
Reviewed November 25, 2010

It was a good deal. I don't want to spend too much on Hotel so it was a good deal for me. It is not so near from main entrance of Calungute beach. it is approx 2.5 Km from the guest house. there is also an alternate way to go to calangute beach which is just 5 min walk.

The Owner was good. They were helpful. They can give you good idea about where to go & where no to go.

If we talk about room then it was OK. It could be maintained more properly as well. I have not tried food there as I am pure vegetarian so no comment on that.

My verdict is, If u only want room for sleeping & for bath n all then u should go, Beacause its really a cheap deal.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Before I start off with my latest experience, I would like to mention that I had visited Gabriel's about 2 years back with my friends, and had a decent time there. With similar expectations, I decided to book my stay there this time as well, only difference being that I would be visiting with my wife.

I had requested an AC room for 3 nights, 4 days and mentioned clearly in my email that I would be checking in on Oct 31, 2010 morning, checking out on Nov 3, 2010 afternoon/evening. I got a prompt reply that accommodation is available, and the total amount would be Rs.3300. I transferred an advance amount of Rs.2000 to confirm the booking, which was again acknowledged.

Check-in on Oct 31 was smooth, everything seemed to be going well for the first 2 days. Trouble started during the second night, when the room was not getting cooled well enough, and we had to use the ceiling fan additionally to help us sleep. After retreating to the room on the third night after our day outing, we found the heating issue to be persistent. On checking closely, we found the AC malfunctioning (though it was ON, it was blowing hot air). Only then we realized that we had been sleeping in a non-ac room the previous night also. I reported the issue and was told later that they could shift us to a different room with AC, or we could choose to pay non-AC room charges for the last night. They didn't agree for the non-AC charges for 2 nights since we had not reported the problem earlier, so there was no evidence left for us to pursue this. It is a different matter altogether that they could have trusted our words, I wouldn't like to delve more into this.

We started discussing on the revised rates (including 1 night of non-AC charges), I was told that 2 days of AC room (1100 per night) + 1 day non-AC room (700 per night) adds up to Rs. 2900. And the last line said "Check-out time 10 am". Inspite of me informing them well in advance that I would be checking out only in the afternoon, for which they had replied (through email) with the total amount of Rs.3300, I was being asked to check-out at 10am (or pay up extra amount for late check-out). I had a tough time figuring out my schedule for the rest of the day, since I had booked my bus tickets also in advance considering evening check-out. I found this highly unprofessional, since everything was mutually agreed over e-mail and these terms and conditions were told at the last minute to us.

We also faced a "relatively" minor issue with the food, had ordered a veg curry and mentioned clearly that we do not want Gobi (cauliflower), and to our surprise, the dish was full of gobi. On inquiring about the same, he told us that he thought we didn't want "cabbage". I was ok at this point and assumed that he could have misinterpreted us, but the very next minute, I was handed over the bill mentioning the veg curry charges also. After all our discussion, at the very least, I expected them to waive the relevant charges as courtesy (it was a different fact that we couldn't satisfy our hunger completely). I had to ask explicitly for the veg curry charge to be removed from the bill, which they did after a couple of more arguments !!!

I see comments from the management for the other bad reviews posted here, stating that 99.5% of their guests are satisfied/happy with the experience, but unfortunately I happened to fall in the 0.5% of dissatisfied guests this time around.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank arun_s_p
New Delhi, India
Reviewed August 25, 2010

super holiday home in calangute,
we stayed here in six nights,the guest house family members made us feel the comfortable and relaxed in their small holiday home.the location is in quiet area,close to the beach and areas like baga,anguna,vagator.we hired a bike to go around in goa.taxis are bit expensive in calangute.food in the guest house was very very good.as there are many restaurant around in calangute ,we had food only once in guest house.rooms are kept clean.goa has lot of to offer for all........

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank macadelhi
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2010

guest house is nice and perfect for budget travellers,location is very good for lazy holiday makers ,close to beach and not much far from baga beach.i enjoyed my stay in goa,very relaxing place with many beaches.rooms where clean and basic.
very good for single women as family takes care of guest.this is my third visit to goa and prefer staying in guest houses.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple