“Loved The Culture...”
Review of Silent Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calangute
Silent Resort
Ranked #56 of 125 Hotels in Calangute
Reviewed April 10, 2006

Just got back from a 2 week holiday in Calungute, Goa and the Silent Resort Hotel. I actually read some reviews of the hotel on this site just after I had booked to go and was quite scared by what I read. I expected the hotel to be awful, the facilities non-existant and the whole holiday a disaster.

HOWEVER... My partner and I had an absolutely brilliant time. The weather was fantastic - (we went on 16th March for 14 nights) no rain or cloud, the people were very helpful and polite and the hotel, although basic, was very clean and welcoming.

We are a fairly young couple, 21 and 25, and we had heard stories from friends who had been out to Goa before so we knew what to expect in some respects but nothing can prepare you for the spectacular things you can see and do there. There are very , very beautiful beaches and markets and you are never without something to do.

The hotel was basic as I have said but our linen was changed every day without fail as were the towels. You were supplied with a beach towel fresh every morning too. The hotel grounds were clean and the restaurant was of good food. However, I would definitely recommend taking stomach upset tablets with you as I suffered with it for 2 days - not through bad food but just my weak stomach!!

We spent most of our days shopping, sunbathing and sleeping but there is always something going on in the area. There are markets almost every day where you can haggle your head off!! Don't pay their first price - EVER - and always go to walk away as they will will you back with a much lower offer. Oh, and watch out for men who say you have something in/on your ear or that you have soap on your ear because they are trying to make you believe you have lots of wax and small stones that they say are bloking your ears. They are very quick at this and in our case were in my partners ear with a small metal rod-like hook within a moment of him asking me whether he had something on his ear. The man will then proceed to show you all this "wax" from your ear which he has put there himself and also two small stones which he crushes like peppercorns to show you what you had in your ear!! They then show you a card which states that they are qualified "doctors" and charge 500 rupees each stone they retrieve. 1000 rupees is about £14 so they often catch people unaware. Although we did fall for it, we only had 200 rupees and ended up having to pay all of that!! So watch out for them - they usually operate at the markets but often seen just walking down main streets too.

Everything over there is very cheap. For example you can get the following goods at the following prices;

~ A three course meal for two inc. drinks - under £10.
~ A mens tailored suit any cloth inc. silk - £25
~ Womens suits and blouses any cloth inc. silk - under £20.
~ Dentistry for at least two thirds cheaper than UK.
~ Full laser whitening for teeth - £150.
~ Tailor made shoes - under £10.
~ Curry - less than £1.
~ Large bottle beer (kingfisher) - about 60p

Haggle everywhere except in grocery stores and in general shops which look bit more professional!!

19  Thank sheerinuk