“Avoid this place!”

Villa Fatima Beach Resort
Ranked #86 of 125 Hotels in Calangute
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Service is very very bad, the place very old - needs makeover & maintanence urgently.
Other than location on Baga Road, nothing much to speak about. Was here for a night & moved out.
The no. of stall is much lesser than what the hotel needs, we had just person available to ask for linen change as it was dirty. The room keys were misplaced by the hotel staff after we returned from the beach. Thanks to good restaurants nearby we managed food, as this place menu was very very boring with limited options.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank earth69

Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stayed there for four nights. Very friendly people. The location is also quite nice. Just few meters to beach. Met also nice people there. But there was not any breakfast served. But we managed to get it from the near by restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Columbus_777
Reviewed May 10, 2009

The place is superb. Its not in calangute beach its on the calangute-baga road - on the baga beach side. Walkable distance from tito's and mambo's. The beach is a 2 - 5 min walk from the back of the hotel. The rooms are fine - nothing great but excellent for the price that they charge. If you wanna stay near baga where most of the action happens then this is a really cool place to stay if you budget is low.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank Vasu84
Reviewed December 27, 2008

I have stayed at Villa Fatima for the last 3 years in or around January and have found no problems with either the rooms (I always have a very basic room) or staff.
There is good access to the beach and other areas of Baga.
I meet the same friends from Germany, Austria Ireland and England each year and they would also agree with my opinions on both the Hotel and Tony the owner.
As far as power cuts etc are concerned, remember, this is India.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank sp164798
Reviewed May 21, 2008

I Stayed at villa fatima over a year ago although ive only just found this, so thought i woudl wrtie an review on my experiance at the hotel

I arrived around about miday and was greeted by Tony straight away, Our rooms were upgraded, and we were led to where we were staying the room was spotless, and was cleaned whenever me or my friend requested, we has a room which over looked the pool, our balcony was surrounded by lovely flowers giving it a true indian feel.

The pool was cleaned everymorning which was nice as i did use it almost everyday to cool off as it was very hot

Tony (the owner) or the recpeitonist were allways at hand whenever we needed help or had some questions, they truely made us feel at home and to be honest i felt like family during my stay.

I really enjoyed my stay at villa fatima and would deffinatly recomend it to a friend or family, dont let the other reviews out you off.

And if tony is to read this i would like to thank him for a lovely time sorry it took so long to write the review .

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank amy-strawson
Reviewed December 31, 2007

I cannot stress how much to avoid this place. There are no beds just cots, and the sheets look like they are 40 years old (as old as the place itself) I absolutely despided the proprietor, since he only started talking to us when he realized we were leaving his hotel. He complained about his staff, which was unnecessary.

I WOULD never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank cynthya
Reviewed July 31, 2007

Well, it feels like a long time since I was in Goa, but theres no forgetting what was far and away my worst travel experience ever.

I checked into Villa Fatima for 3 nights in January, and initially the place seemed average, wasn't particularly clean (some bugs in bathroom) but was OK i guess. Some slight annoyances began to build up, such as a problem with their plumbing which meant for a while there was no water of any kind, and the toilet was unable to flush for a period. But I probably wasnt bothered too much, was mostly out simply enjoying Goa.

However, the real trouble began on my 2nd day there (as they do their cleaning every off day). My error was to leave my silver watch sitting on the bedside while I went out that day, when I returned in the evening it was gone! Luckily I had my passport and other critical items locked in my bag! I reported the theft immediately to one of the managers (Tony), who was a pretty abrupt and rude person to deal with but claimed he'd follow it up.

When the morning came that I was checking out, I again raised the issue and the fact I'd need to head to a police station to file a report for insurance purposes. Upon hearing this Tony and his brother who is actually the owner, attempted to persuade me that the police were only trouble and instead they could offer me a refund of my stay as compensation. My flight was later that day and I flirted with the idea of just cutting my losses. What happened next, was Tony showing his true colours.... He attempted to stall me for time (so I couldnt get to the police before my flight), saying his brother (fellow manager) had gone out and Id have to wait for him to return to sort it out. Perhaps he thought he was clever, but I caught on and got out of there in time to obtain the police report for insurance, luckily there was a fantastic officer at the station who spoke perfect english and fully understood the situation.

Overall though, a nightmare experience. If management of this place decides to reply as tripadvisor allows, perhaps they can let me know how the police investigation went, I hope they got the trouble which they feared and deserved for their dishonesty. To make matters worse, the comanager/owner is a Catholic priest, and should be ashamed of himself.

Stay at this place at your own peril.............

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
5  Thank Bish83
villafatima, Tony Mascarenhas, Proprietor at Villa Fatima Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2007

I do not agree with a TripAdvisor Member from Melbourne. First of all it took him more than six months to write a review. He did report to me that his watch was missing.However when he came again to report, I noticed that he was wearing a watch on his hand. It is very unusual for a tourist to carry two watches when travelling. I don't recall, he ever complained about anything about the services of our Resort during his stay in our Resort. The police did call me while he was still at the police station and I gave them my side of the story. The police never ever got back to us and there was no police investigation or we never had problems with the police.We have guests from all over the world who enjoy their stay in our Resort. It is pity that TripAdvisor Member from Melbourne did not enjoy the stay for best reasons known to him