“All it was expected to be!”

Colonia de Braganza Resorts
Ranked #85 of 113 Hotels in Calangute
Leeds, United Kingdom
“All it was expected to be!”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Having just returned from Colonia de Braganza, I can verify that the reviews are 100% accurate. We stayed for 3 weeks - the room which we eventually got, was clean and bright., in block 2 by the pool. The cleaning boys were conscientious and always courteous. The reception staff were helpful, although after a long flight and a 30 minute wait, we were given a substandard room which didn't smell too good (bad drains and fungus) so we complained. I told them we had paid the full price for the holiday for 3 weeks and had no intention of putting up with a sub standard room. I was very polite but firm. They did after another wait, give us what we deserved. The stay was very pleasant, right in the middle of the action. It was full of Russian people, which didn't bother us as we studied Russian at college. They did tend to be young and rather boisterous and somewhat smashed most of the time. The Brits, for once, seemed to be remarkably well behaved. Most were retired and helping out with street children's charities. The food was OK but that didn't matter as you are surrounded by cafes and restaurants. Beer prices were good, around 80 rupees for a large bottle, although you could buy from Menzies for 40 rupees a can and stick them in your fridge. We've been travelling to India for almost 20yrs now so we are used to moving around a bit. The Tuk tuk's are now pricing themselves out of the market, charging 300 rupees to Mapsa: it costs 15 rupees on the bus. The buses are at the top of the main street and arrive every few minutes, in fact we never waited for a bus to anywhere local. If you want to go to Anjuna on the bus ,you must first go to Mapsa (Mapusa) then get another bus from the bus station (it's all very easy) people will wave you to the right bus if you ask them. That bit of the journey costs 10 rupees.
When you get off the bus, follow hippies on the road, walk across a couple of fields behind the temple - you'll see all the cars etc...Back to Calangute: we spent the sunsets with Macho in his bar on the beach called "Sky High". He's a very helpful, genuine, young lad who was much fun. Beers were always cold and the meals were very reasonable. Stand on the Calangute steps and walk along the beach to the left..."Sky High" is the 2nd bar...you'll have a great welcome...say John and Carol sent you! Have fun, we did!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't accept anything substandard if you've paid the full price...but be polite! If you are...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Dollywhalley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
manchester
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I chose this hotel by the low price and excellent location , I have to say there are some quite bad reviews but I knew someone who had stayed here and she said it was fine so decided to give it a go. This was my 9th Goan holiday and I normally stay in low cost hotels as we go out all day every day and don't use the pool/ restaurant etc...
I must say I paid £12 a night via Agoda and was pleasantly surprised, the room was spacious with a large kitchenette, lounge and balcony. It was spotless and towels and sheets changed every other day. The staff were friendly and a safety box in reception is 35 rps per day.
The pools looked a little murly and there were parts of the complex which looked in need of some TLC , however I would stay here again as it suited my needs perfectly and I like the central Calangute location.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank shirleyVManchester
mk
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Great hotel in a central location, really nice pools and a perfect location for traveling and the hotel staff are great to.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank matsy c
wigan
Reviewed March 8, 2012

2nd year on a run for us at the colonia de braganza. once again we enjoyed staying here. the bed sheets and towels are changed every other day and the rooms are cleaned every day. toast and coffee or tea for breakfast, but you can order any other items for a small charge. the rooms overlooking the swimming pools are the best very spacious and more updated. the staff ars all very polite and friendly without being pushy. just remember this is only 2 star and that is basic but clean and no frills.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank margwigan
Pune, India
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Worst hotel. I m staying here from last 2 days. There is no cleaness in the room, ants,mosquitos are roaming everywhere. Gyser not working. More they don't change badsheet daily. You only get bread and butter in breakfast. They suck overall.don't come here if you are with family.you will regret.they even charge you for boiling water.

• Stayed February 2012
6 Thank hardik05

Travelers are raving about these Calangute hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Just came back after another 2 weeks at the Colonia de Braganza and can't wait to go back in Dec,this was our 3rd year at the hotel and it was as good as the first,yes it has it's faults but you get what you pay and i'm afraid if you want better you will have to pay a lot more for it,we have been going to Goa for the past 16 years and stayed at 5 different hotels and there's not much to chose between them, the staff at the C d B are very friendly can't do enough for you,if you have any problems you only have to ask and it gets done A.S.A.P Can't wait to get back

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank blondie4208
Leeds
Reviewed February 7, 2012

So this was my 3rd time to Goa and accomodation is and always will be basic in this type of hotel. The room was huge, enough for the 3 of us, very clean and staff very friendly. No complaints what so ever until my last day...
I had packed to leave on Friday morning (due to leave sat early hours, my family were staying an extra week in the same room)
When i cam back to the room late Friday to charge my phone, i noticed my iphone/ipad charger had gone. I obviously rasied this with the hotel manager who insisted that his staff were honest and that i 'should have put it in the safety deposit box'... My family insisted i check my bags again when i got home but alas the charger is gone. STOLEN!

I have been advised that its quite common for things to go missing on the last day.. to me it seemed like my bags were backed and this was laying out, possibly forgotten. Either way the hotel were NOT interested in helping me even when i threated to call the police (which would have been a complete waste of time)

Travellers please beware and anything at all that you value (even a charger) lock it away every day before you leave the room.
I would have given the hotel 4 stars had it not been for this.

Also anyone travelling to Goa in the next 4 weeks, beware it closes at 10/11pm due to elections and some other political stuff... no food or drinks can be served ANYWHERE after this time... clubs and pubs CLOSE DOWN.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor facing the pool or main entrance.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family