“Great vacation”
Review of Osborne Resort Goa

Osborne Resort Goa
Ranked #39 of 125 Hotels in Calangute
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed at this resort for 10 days in January. Great place to stay with the family. The rooms were great size and clean. Linens were provided as needed. House keeping was great as well. The staff were very accomodating and very pleasant to deal with. The breakfast buffet was very convenient.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Caro365

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Osborne is a wonderful and peaceful place. We went to goa to rush away from Mumbai Busy Life. We stay at Osborne Resort for 4 nights and it is really worth the money. We had booked the hotel from online. The food and service was good and staff were polite and coperative.
We returned with wonderful memories of Goa.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Parul D
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at the Osborne Resorts during my fist trip to Goa. It is actually a complex of several holiday flat developments under a single management. The rooms are very spacious and clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Food was plentiful and tasty. It is very well located near to the beach and shops but set sufficiently far back that you are not inconvenienced by traffic noise etc. I will definitely stay there again for my next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the communal areas such as the swimming pool are better.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank RichardAlibon
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Six of us retired, young at heart, decided to take a vacation without our families to Goa for ten days.

The first half of our vacation, we stayed at the ancestral home of one of us at South Goa and the second half at Osborne Resorts, North Goa.

Osborne did not let us down from our expectations. The reception staff was attentive enough to realize our requirement of staying on lower floors before we could request.

Both the rooms were airy and large with balconies overlooking the pool. Though it did seem a bit noisy at times, but what the heck, the six of us were more noisier all the time.

We suggested oiling the creaking fans which was done, but, on the day we were checking out. Towels were changed regularly and the beds too were made before we returned from our outings.

Calangute beach is a walkable distance from Osborne hotel and taxis cost approximately Rs.100/- which is fair as you have the option to hire one on the way back especially at night.

Another great feature of this hotel is the pool table. We had a fabulous time showing off to each other in the afternoons when we didn't want to venture out.

Breakfast at the hotel is not much but, the complimentary meal vouchers for dinner was value for money. A reasonably good spread of Indian and continental dishes.

There are hordes of eateries catering to all palates walking distance from Osborne Resorts.

We stocked up on mineral water which is a must in India and other daily requirements from the near by supermarket.

The staff were all good natured folks, laughing and joking with us in our native language Konkani, so we really felt Osborne was home away from home.

Would we repeat this trip? Yes, this time with our families in May for the summer vacations.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Michael9657
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the apartment as well as service during my 1 week family vacation at Osborne. the rooms were spacious and neat with freshly changed and clean linen. staff were courteous and helpful. More important was the location-in the heart of Calangute but the setting of a village away from the traffic and commercial shopping noise.
Re meals the breakfast was good and sufficient in quantity and the dinner buffet was also well done,
Overall a pleasant experience and value for money

Room Tip: Select a room not facing the pool
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ADREMBIO
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Well, what a massive disappointment, having been guests at the Osborne some 15 years ago, we thought we would do a repeat to this end of Goa and have another stay, I did all the right things, read TA and even phoned the Osborne to check that things had changed and they really had refurbished as clearly stated on their own website, and brought the place into the 21st Century, alas, they hoodwinked us and the place is still a dump, even more so to a certain degree.
We were in Phase 2, and absoloutely nothing has changed, when was the last time that they had a lick of paint, and the beds, OMG, backbreakers, don't even go there with the bedding, holes galore and where they may have been white they certainly are not white now, dark and dirty grey and never ever smelt clean, they make it look like they are changed regularly, but in fact, they top and tail every other day to try to trick you into thinking you have clean sheets!
Do you really want to know about the bathrooms?? Trust me when I tell you that the towels can stand unaided, they feel rock solid, and slimy when wet, and the smell on them is nauseating, they don't even provide hand soap for your hands after using the toilet, neither in your apartment or in the public toilets which in my opinion says a lot! YUK!
However, I must say that given their limited means and the remit with which they are working, the housekeeping staff were for the most part a hard working couple of lads on our block and they did what they could.
Don't think about asking for a plug for the wash basin, they don't have plugs "but Ma am can buy one from the supermrket"!
I have taken the liberty of putting a photo of my shorts on here, these shorts were placed in the wardrobe and unworn, consequesntly, until the day of departure, after 2 weeks of filth, noise and total mayhem, I went to pack them, you can see the result yourselves, that dirt and muck came from the wardrobe that I placed my clothes into! I have in fact been given £20 towards the cost of a replacment pair, but nonetheless, be warned!
I cannot comment on the food or the bar, my husband and I did not use either, but I can quite categorically say that the restaurants are used more frequently than they would be if the package customers didn't get 2 free meals a week!
Finally I would ask the people to read the reviews very carefully, and by whom they are placed, I am at a loss to understand why some of them are glowing, they must have stayed at another Osborne Resorts and most definitely not the one we did.
We were independant travellers and we know that there are lots more 2star resorts that are much better and cleaner and cost less than the Osborne

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Have just returned from an 11 night stay at the Osborne. Arrived at about 2 am, and was allocated a room in phase 2. Was offered air conditioning for a rather expensive £70 which I declined. The ceiling fan is really fast, and cools the room well. I don't think you need the air con really. I found the reception staff to be quite rude and abrupt. No smiles or welcomes, and they have a habit of talking about you to their colleagues in a different language, then either laughing or looking you up and down. I could understand it if I was rude or discourteous to them, but I was friendly and polite. Not a great first impresssion of the hotel.

I had emailed twice prior to my holiday, to request a high room facing the pool. I also asked if the room had a kettle, iron or hairdryer. Both emails were ignored, and no - there is no kettle, iron or hairdryer. My room was on the ground floor, facing the road! First impressions of the room was that that it was very big, and quite clean. The bathroom is a wetroom, so when you shower, the whole room gets wet. Also, my water heater only heated the water to a lukewarm temperature, but this can be very welcome after a day in the sun.

I didn't bother going for breakfast, as it was only available til 10 am and they only offered tea and toast. I preferred a lie-in then wander down to the excellent St Anthony's Tea Garden (behind the chapel) for breakfast.

My room boy, Paul, was lovely and friendly, and kept my room spotless. He often made me animals on my bed out of the linen, and I was given fresh towels daily.

There is a fridge in the room, and I used it to keep the cartons of juice and big bottles of water that I bought from the supermarket.

The phase 2 pool was lovely, and I spend most of my days here., The main problem is that there were never enough sunbeds, but by the time I went out to sunbathe at about 12.30, one had usually become free. A lot of people put their towels down really early, and often they wouldn't even use the sunbed at all! The management ought to address this, really.

The pool bar offered drinks at reasonable prices. I never used the 3 free buffet vouchers that I was given for my evening meal, so I can't comment about the food.

My ground-floor room facing the road was also the thoroughfare for all of the Osborne staff. They could make you feel quite uncomfortable, by walking past constantly and staring. Also, they would sometimes sit on the wall opposite where I was sitting and just look at me. As a single woman traveller, I found this a bit creepy. Hence I'd emailed beforehand to ask for a higher floor room! Also, spitting is a big problem - all the staff did it. I could hear the staff coming before I saw them - hawking up big pools of phlegm and the spitting it out in big gobs on the road. Lovely.

The property is in a good location. 20 minutes walk to the right look you to Calangute main street, a further 20 minutes to the right look you to Baga. 20 minutes walk to the left took you to Candolim. The beach is about 20 minutes walk from the main road.

The thing that really made this holiday nice were the lovely Brits who were holidaying with me. Mostly northerners, they were fabulous. Friendly happy chatty people. As I spent most of my days sunbathing by the pool, I got to chat to them a lot.

I went to see the Taj Mahal, so was away from the complex for 3 days - my room in Delhi was filthy, and it really made me appreciate how clean and bright the Osborne was! I arranged the trip myself through the internet - flights with Spicejet, hotel (don't stay at the RK guesthouse - it was foul) arranged though booking,com, and guide from Delhi to Agra arranged through Viator. All in, it cost me £205. Much cheaper than what Thomas Cook were charging.

For 500 rupees, you can keep your room until 8pm on departure day, which is about £6. Really cheap. I wanted to keep it til 10pm, so I asked the reception staff how much it would be to keep it til 10pm. They just kept saying you could only keep it til 8pm, then talking about me in their language and looking me up and down. As I said - rude rude rude.

All-in-all I enjoyed my holiday here. Would I return? No - Goa isn't really my kind of place. Piles of rubbish rotting by the side of every road, a lot of sleazy men hanging around on the street corners and far too much spitting. However, if you like Goa, I think you would enjoy staying here. It's clean, basic and in a good location.

Room Tip: I think the only way to get a good room is to pay extra when you arrive. Emailing doesn't help...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo