“very average and very expensive”
Review of Citrus Goa

Citrus Goa
Ranked #4 of 124 Hotels in Calangute
Reviewed January 19, 2013

a very, very expensive hotel by indian standards for what you get. wasn't a particularly clean place and wireless internet costs a whopping 500 rupees on top of an already expensive bill. the hotel is centrally located but the area is pretty run-down. breakfast was pretty good but i wouldn't stay here for that.
overall i'd say pass on this place as it ain't worth the money.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Scout_II
Jude M, Manager at Citrus Goa, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Namaste!

Thank you very much for your feedback with regards to your stay. We are delighted that you chose to stay at Citrus Goa and gave us an opportunity to serve you.

I have noted your concerns and we are in the process of identifying solutions for the same.

Your feedback encourages my team and myself to continuously review and upgrade our product and services.

Jude Michael

Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in Jan 2013. Rooms are spacious, some looking out onto the poolside. Our napkins and towels were soiled but changed immediately on request. Minibar is very reasonable for a hotel! Banana pancakes at breakfast are fantastic! Ten mins walking distance from Calangute beach. You get what you pay for, no more no less.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank VishaalMehta
Jude M, Manager at Citrus Goa, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Hotel overview:

Hotel is situated a two minute walk from the main area of Calangute and ten minutes from the main beach area. It is sited along a secondary road off the Main Street. The entrance is a single iron gate with a security guard. This leads into a small reception area.
The hotel is medium sized with 85 rooms all with balconies and is spread over three blocks, two of which have lifts.
It has a predominant Indian customer base.
The pool area is surrounded by two blocks of which, about ten rooms overlook the pool. The area has a garden look with palm trees and other plants. Alongside the pool is the restaurant area with inside and outside seating. The pool is of medium size with a maximum depth of 4.5 feet - small sized compared to most hotel pools, but not many guest used it! There are only ten sun beds so an early claim is essential!
The staff are always friendly but some of them have very limited English and can be difficult to understand at times.....but they have to learn somehow!
The food is generally of a good standard with a variable choice.
If on breakfast only rate, it is better to eat out as the hotel prices are more expensive.
The hotel also has a small gym including a massage machine.
Most rooms of the two larger blocks are overlooked by other buildings.
If you wish to tip the room boys for their work, PLEASE ensure you give any money direct to the room boys. DO NOT leave any tip money in your room on your check-out day.
Finally, be prepared for the frequent power cuts to the hotel and surrounding areas at night time, they only last a few minutes but can be irritating if in the bathroom!

Room:

Our room was on the ground floor, of a good standard and very spacious. The room was air conditioned and there was also a ceiling fan. For a comfortable night's sleep we kept the fan running all night on it's lowest setting as the night temperature was still fairly high.
There was a safe that is able to accommodate a large amount of personal items.
The bathroom was very large with a low bath and a shower. We found that there was a long wait for the hot water to finally arrive at the taps, sometimes taking at least 5 minutes.
The only daylight coming into the room was via the glass balcony door. Unfortunately our balcony was fronted by a large amount of vegetation which severely restricted the light.
Our room was close to the main road and outside noise was able to penetrate into the room quite easily; not good if you want to get some sleep! Outside noise did eventually quiet down after midnight.
The room was cleaned every day and clean towels provided.
Our room did not have the glass-fronted bathroom as shown in the brochures, so don't be deceived that all rooms are the same.

Overall opinion:

The hotel is very close to all the action of Calangute and a short walk to the beach.
The hotel is of a good standard with friendly staff and good food.
Only gripes are lack of sunbeds and time taken for hot water to arrive.

For those thinking of a Christmas and New Year break at this hotel, you must be aware that the majority of guests are Indian and that the entertainment is geared towards them.
The music is "ear-shattering" Techno - prevalent everywhere in Goa. The volume was so high during the New Year party that our bodies were vibrating and our ear-drums almost at bursting point. A request to have the volume lowered to a more acceptable level was met with deaf ears - hardly surprising! We ended up moving to a quieter area.
The "Gala Dinners" provided for Christmas and New Year were truly chaotic affairs. The barbecue starters were available at 8:00pm and the main "buffet" not until 10:00pm with some staff not really knowing what was going on. Not good if you suffer from Diabetes!
Overall though a really good atmosphere!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Nuttyal
Jude M, Manager at Citrus Goa, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Reviewed January 9, 2013

This property is near baga-calangute junction..the property is a bit cramped and there are residential buildings on all sides with no view but the rooms and service is nice..breakfast is very well spread and lot of options for vegies...nice mix of indian and other food stuff...the front office staff expect one mr gaurab is very polite.....pool is small and only 4 feet...no open space in the hotel and has too many rooms for the property...when the hotel is full u need to wait for tables in the cafe for breakfast...housekeeping guys are very helpfull..THE HOTEL IS OVER PRICED FOR THE LOCATION/ OVER ALL..

Room Tip: POOL SIDE ROOM ONLY AS There are residential building on the other side with no view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RAJESH7475

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here for 3nights for the new year ... I must say the hotel is poorly maintained .... My room had a broken shower which was only repaired on the last day of my stay... The worst thing is a four star property without a parking facility ....the hotel has a small plot of land outside the hotel which can squeeze 5 to six cars and if your car is parked behind it takes almost half an hour to get your car out ... On the day of my check out when I went out to get my car the security told me that they dont have keys of the car parked infront of my car when I complained at the reception the reply I got was the guests whose car was parked in the front parked it early in the morning and were too drunk so we did not ask for the car keys ... When the security tried to push the car out of the parking lot in vain and repetitive calls to the guests room the guest walked to the reception and told that he had left the car keys at the reception .... But the hotel staff instead of searching for the keys blamed it all on the guest that he had not given the keys ....then after an hours drama when I got real angry as I had to drive all the way to Mumbai I myself searched the key rack and the found the car keys ..... It was so unprofessional to spoil my first day of the new year and wake up another guest early in the morning who had just returned to the room room after partying all night....this is only on incident also the rooms are poorly maintained the linen is dirty .... And the compulsory gala dinner party on the 31st was a sad affair .....

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank patilninad
Jude M, Manager at Citrus Goa, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Namaste!

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that you faced during your check-out. I have spoken to my team and have taken corrective steps to ensure that issues like these don't happen again.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I'll first gush about the bed. Hotel beds are meant to be nice but this one was like a mattress laced with sleeping pills!

The pool was superb. Clean, warm, hygienic.

The let down was some of the food but let me preface by saying that my vegetarian friend ordered and may have messed up. Although with Baga and Calangute around, you'll rarely eat in.

All in all a good time.

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Earlier known as silla goa when i was here 3yrs back..i was surprised to see the hotel completly renovated.very good rooms with clean bathroom and 24hr hot water.room sevice was excellent.the food served in restaurant was very good with lots of variety.the staff was humble and polite.the only problem is if u oder food or drink in the room it costs u double.overall the hotel was very clean inluding the pool.realy enjoyed my stay at citrus........

• Stayed: November 2012