“Fab”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anjuna
Yogamagic Eco Retreat
Ranked #6 of 66 Anjuna B&B and Inns
“Fab”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Loved yoga magic, was worried about the toilet facilities. Absolutely no need, it was spotlessly clean and very easy to use. The food was delightful, the service, the yoga, everything was absolutely spot on. Except for the location. A long, not particularly nice walk to a very average beach compared with Aswem and Mandrem. The swimming pool looks across to a garage so not the best of views.

Room Tip: Take a torch
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jf3155

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Yogamagic is a truly special place. I have just returned from a week's yoga retreat there and couldn't have hoped for anything more. It was my first time in India and from the moment I arrived the owner Ishi and her staff made us welcome and at home - nothing was too much trouble. I felt like I had left the stresses of the world behind me just by walking through the gates.

The retreat is a magical mix of organic, hand crafted structures set in truly beautiful gardens. There were two of us staying in a vast Rajasthani tent complete with terrace, dressing room and outside bathroom (which I loved!). Each day, the tent was cleaned and mosquito nets put over our beds before evening fell. I haven't stayed in many hotels as luxurious as the accommodation here and the fact that it was so unusual only added to the experience.

The food is truly fabulous with a seemingly endless variety of dishes at each meal. I wish I recorded the sounds of enjoyment that came from our group at meal times!

This was a perfect place for a yoga retreat and I am grateful to Jaya (our brilliant yoga teacher) for introducing us to Yogamagic and to Ishi and her team for making us feel so welcome. I can't recommend it highly enough and hope I will be able to go back one day.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Louise E
London
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I've been on a few yoga holidays and figured I was already going to be in Goa for a wedding and a friend recommended Yogamagic.

Let me start out by saying conceptually and also from experience it is a cool and unique holiday destination. I've traveled to several places and there aren't many places out there like this so perfect if you are looking to change things up. I was booked for 2 nights in the tents and thought the decor and all the details on the furniture and things were meticulous. I originally wanted the suite but it didn't look like it was available when I inquired about availability. I'd highly recommend the suites if you're a city person like me and enjoy the comforts of having a bathroom.

I think there were a few things they handled very poorly and think it's quite disappointing as they are in the hospitality business. I understand I can't compare it to a large international hotel however certain things they should think about.

Tent without electricity - When Phil showed me my tent, he showed me how to use the electricity at night and how it's solar powered. When I returned quite late in the evening due to a talk/discussion from a sadhu (will revisit this), the power was not working. When I asked for help, the guy who was pretty much running the reception was trying his best to make it work however he was no electrician and couldn't do much. I asked what are the options and he hands me a flashlight that the security man was using - as emergency lights. I asked to be moved to another room however there wasn't one available. The next solution that was offered was whether I am willing to stay with another guest in another tent. Clearly this is where I think this is truly a hippie place. What ended up happening is that the security guard needed his flashlight back for his patrol and offered to give me an emergency lamp... that needed to be charged. I waited a good hour or so in the reception and when I took it back to my tent - the charge lasted for a just a minute. They should have something charged for back up at all times, back up energy plan or nearby accommodation if something like this were to happen. I was asked if I checked if it worked - like it was my fault and for a second I thought I may have left it on. Blaming the guest when they know nothing about how the room works isn't a good way to run a hospitality business. The next day I was told the electricity was fixed and confirmed it myself. However on returning to the tent in the evening it wasn't working again so it definitely had something to do with the battery not storing the charge. Luckily I was moved to the suite which was really lovely and they took off the charges for the first night.

Sleep quality is terrible if you're used to silence normally - regardless of tent or suite. Wild life noises is one thing but you hear rave music from a nearby bar/club that can go on to the early morning especially on the weekends. Bring a set of ear plugs if noise bothers you - I barely slept the 2 nights I was there.

I understand this is an independent business and there aren't formal systems in place such as booking or accounting systems. I paid for the remaining balance about a month before my stay and received a confirmation. A week before my arrival I received another confirmation from a different person - which I quickly replied to saying that hopefully it wasn't a duplicate payment and of course no reply. Luckily I checked my credit card statement the evening before checking out as suspected I was charged twice for the remaining balance. When the reception was checking the books, he stated there was no receipt to support the 2nd payment (Clearly this was a mistake - I don't even want to get in whether the person was attempting some type of fraud... well a really poorly executed one). This is when it showed really bad business operations. Firstly that the second payment was taken blindly without even checking the books but also not even keeping a record of the second payment. Luckily I was able to prove from my credit card statements and after an exhausting conversation agreed to refund me - but in cash. No facility to provide a refund back to my credit card. It was sorted in the end but never the less doesn't provide the relaxation I was expecting.

Lack of communication - Again, I can't compare to more established hotels and such but I felt like I wasn't sufficiently informed about cost structures as I should've read the fine print that each yoga class cost 500 rupees (which I think we were nice but suggest a different yoga place if you're used to a more dynamic practice - wish we were given more options for people with varying experience). When I booked a massage, didn't know we had to pay the guy directly so I had to run back to my tent to pay him. A lot of small little things that could've been better executed but I am assuming they either didn't care or couldn't be bothered.

Massage - I'm not prudish in any way but it is nice to know if your therapist is male if you're a woman. I don't mind at all but at one point when I was flipping over - there wasn't a sheet over my chest which was VERY unusual generally no matter where you are in the world but even more so for India. Doesn't bother me too much but I can imagine this can make some women very uncomfortable.

Lastly, I can't help but make a comment about the American Sadhu that came for a talk/discussion. Everyone really pushed you on attending - I wasn't interested but figured I should just see what it's about. Long story short this Sadhu was the first American who was initiated into this group and he shares his experience. It was interesting to hear a point of view that is so different from your own - but definitely did not resonate with me. They asked us to provide a donation at the end ahead of the talk but what I found interesting is that he found large corporations and the overall "system" to be a prison - thus pushing him to move to India and seek the life that he did. What I have a problem with is that if that's the case, then why do you come to a place full of tourists - someone like me who earns a salary from this "system" and willing to take money from them. I am all about helping the less fortunate however there is nothing unfortunate about his life where he needed a financial hand out. After listening to this, I realised this is a real hippie joint.

I tried very hard not to negatively bash this place too badly but wouldn't want someone else to experience what I went through. Definitely would not come back to this place - even without all of the random issues, I didn't get what I was looking for in terms of my yoga practice. It's a great place for someone relatively new to yoga.

Room Tip: Definitely go with the suite if you are not used to glamping.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank ckim32
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This was my first time in India and my very first stay at a yoga retreat/resort. This place is absolutely enchanting - there is no other word. It was funny to me that some people who came had no interest in yoga at all and really just came for the beauty of the accommodation itself. This speaks to how carefully crafted and well-thought out the accommodation is. The food is incredible and nourishing. Try the massage!!

Room Tip: If it's your first stay, go for the tents. On your next stay, if you can afford a bit more, go f...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank barcelonagal21
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

This really is like nowhere else - a haven of peace and beauty perfect for escaping the world for a while. We loved everything about it and what it stands for. The food is out of this world and the staff are lovely and so willing to do whatever it takes to make your time as perfect as possible. The tents are amazing - luxury in the heart of nature. Frankly, what's not to love about an outdoor shower with the sun warming your back and brushing your teeth listening to the birds waking up in the banana trees? On top of all this the yoga was wonderful.After 7 days in this truly magical place, I am glowing, beautifully rested and at one with the world again. Thank you so much Ishi and your team for everything you did!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Melissa T
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This was our second stay at Yogamagic , we stayed here last year and liked it so much we wanted to come back for more. The staff are wonderful and everybody is so friendly and welcoming, I love this place and wish I could have stayed for longer. We will definitely make a third visit.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank paste_12
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Yoga magic Eco Retreat is not only a place where to stay. It's an unique experience to share with other guests, all searching for relaxation, peace and well health.
Ishi and her staff were welcoming, available and proposing wonderful services like yoga course and healthy food. The place is magic, in the middle of no where, cleaned, spacious, with a wonderful swimming pool and colours.
It was very friendly and nice to share breakfast, dinner with other guests and Ishi around the same table. The food was fresh and very good. I felt very relax.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank M75019
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anjuna
The Tamarind Hotel
#1 of 18 in Colva
The Mandala
The Mandala
#2 of 21 in Mandrem

Been to Yogamagic Eco Retreat? Share your experiences!