“Yogamagic Eco Retreat is what the name says.....and more!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anjuna
Yogamagic Eco Retreat
Ranked #8 of 66 Anjuna B&B and Inns
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Yogamagic Eco Retreat is what the name says.....and more!”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Love this place. If you just have the smallest interest in eco and yoga you will LOVE this place. Personally I only did one lesson in Yoga (male and first yoga class), but everybody I talked to loved it. Nina the Yoga teacher was really a great teacher.
Simply love the "feel we had our own little piece of heaven" feel you get there.
Anjuna city was kind of borring, didn´t feel like leaving YM.
All staff are helpfull and so kind.
And finally, we had the best king size bed you can imagine!!
Have to come back one day

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I spent two weeks here with my mother and we will definitely go back. Aesthetic surroundings, professional staff, eco-friendly AND nourishing to the mind, body, and soul. Yoga magic it is, but there's no pressure to practice if you are not so inclined. If you are though, all the better. The teachers are not of the competitive sport type, but teach yoga holistically and geared to each individual body, your limits and your possibilities. Beginners to advanced practitioners will find their own pace. With just 7 tents and 2 rooms, the service stays personal but not oversolicitous. Beautiful setting, wholesome meals, and thoroughly enjoyable days poolside or meeting other guests from all over the world. Terrific marma massages by Vishnu. We already miss our beautiful tent, the call of the birds, the compost toilets, the open-air showers with a view across the paddies and bed tea each morning.

Room Tip: If you don't like the idea of an open-air Indian-style bathroom book a suite. But I would alway...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank yatrika40
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2011

It was my first visit to India, my first attempt at yoga (what a perfect place to learn!!) and my first holiday on my own. To say I had the most perfect week is an understatement.

Phil, Ishi and their staff are incredibly welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. The tents are amazing! I slept incredibly well every night and got used to being woken up with a ginger and lemongrass tea. I really liked the fact that the bathroom was open air and enjoyed using the urn to wash. The food was just divine! Dinner was different every night and, after much deliberation, the general consensus of the group was that the chocolate mousse was the winning pudding (although all the puddings were delicious!).

I really enjoyed the yoga and am continuing to do it now I am back in the UK. Nina is a brilliant teacher who guided the group in a really positive way. It was great having the option to do two sessions a day and, on the two days when there wasn't an afternoon session, it provided the perfect opportunity to explore the local area.

It was really nice having the pool at the retreat. I whiled away many an hour reading, chatting, dozing and also made the most of the ayurvedic treatments.

All in all, I can't speak highly enough of my experience at Yoga Magic. I met some amazing people and I would definitely recommend it. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Charlie E
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I spend a few days here back in February, 2011 for a review I was writing for an eco-travel publication. I thought YM was fabulous ... here's what I wrote:

In my view, though, the real Goan eco-tourism standouts are those where local owners are simply trying to live their lives in accordance with their values. Amid the restaurants and resorts whose “eco” or “organic” claims crumble under the slightest scrutiny, you can find local (and ex-pat-run) gems that are as green as they are uniquely charming.

One is called Yoga Magic. Forgive my New Age-esque descriptor, but Yoga Magic is, in a word, conscious. It’s as if owner Phil Dane—a former high-profile rock’n’roll music producer from London—has a transcendent ability to express beauty and harmony in the smallest details. There’s simply something about Yoga Magic that feels like a conduit for a greater spirit.

It’s open from mid-November to mid-April each year. Surrounded by rice fields and coconut palms just a couple of miles inland from Anjuna’s beaches, Yoga Magic casts a spell from dawn till dusk. Shortly before first light, masala tea is delivered to my luxurious-yet-down-to-earth Rajasthani hunting tent, which is unlike any I’ve previously experienced. It’s not just the über-comfortable bed; I’m also in love with the private, outdoor bathroom, open-air shower, and even the hand-crafted composting toilet (OK, so I’m already tired of Eastern-style squat toilets, but my approval goes beyond this: I also spot the use of solar power on the property, and Dane’s efforts to create this self-contained eco-system are noteworthy in India).

Parting the white canvas tent doors, I’m greeted by a spectacular sunrise, crickets, cormorants and dogs howling—there are always dogs howling in India. It’s time for early-morning yoga, in a hand-crafted, open-walled studio made of mud and dried cow dung. From an altar, Ganesha the elephant god and a photo with the clear-eyed gaze of Osho (aka Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh) gazes down at us. Katie from London leads a gentle, hour-long yin yoga session.

Afterwards, all systems go, I traipse cross the lawn to the indoor-outdoor café to consume copious quantities of a fabulous breakfast buffet. House-made buffalo yogurt, fresh pineapple, pomegranate, papaya, grapes, watermelon, freshly baked muesli, and local honey.

I strike up a conversation with Josie and Daisie, two British permaculture volunteers who are rebuilding soil fertility on the property, an effort to restore the local ecology after years of abuse by previous land-owners.

The rest of the day is filled with meditation, a second yoga class, and lazing by the pool discussing WikiLeaks with Hans from Düsseldorf. I pass on an Indian cooking class, but by the time dinner rolls around, I’d somehow worked up an appetite again.

(the full article is at GreenTravelerGuides(dot)com

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank MichaelStraus
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We had a fabulous night in one of the suites here in October. The service was extremely warm and charming, the room was just beautiful and the food all served on your own terrace was the best we've had in India. The morning yoga classes were great, as were the Aruyvedic massages. We couldn't believe the value of this place. We paid Rs 5500 which included dinner, breakfast, the beautiful room and the morning yoga. An absolute steal. The tents weren't up when we were there in October so can't comment on those, but I won't hestitate in recommending Yoga Magic to all of my friends and we just can't wait to go back. Book ahead as it is understandably very popular!! By far the best place we stayed at in India and we paid twice the price for places that weren't half as nice. Thanks to all at Yoga Magic!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Verity H
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Yoga magic
Our first trip to India we need a break we need a rest and to give our bodies time to revitalise . So we thought yoga retreat and lets try Goa as according to our well travelled friends its a soft first timers option to India. and we have a month. Somewhere i have a flyer picked up at a dance studio. Yoga magic it looks good so we take a look on line and yes decide to give it a go we pay up for 3 weeks yoga package this means we get yoga everyday some one to one lessons and breakfast and supper. And decide to find somewhere when we are there for the last week. Well as it happens we end up staying put and stayed a month. We loved it there at yoga magic.
Goa was a shock to our senses a beautiful one but a shock no less we arrived in January and NewYear celebrations ,though coming to an end, kept us well awake our first night ( along with a persistent frog seranade) . It was noisy. our soft English souls were not used to such an onslaught of noise and colour and smell but after that first sleepless night, from which we fell into our early morning yoga class, we loved it.
The yoga was top notch and Im not a yoga devotee but i thought the two teachers Helen and katy who took alternate days teaching were excellent. their knowledge of the body was immense and we both felt safe in their hands. we did yoga flow and touched on Astanga with Katy and Scarafelli with Helen.
The food was so gooooood, fresh fruit, curd, eggs, bread, lassis and juices for breakfast, delicious Indian delights for supper and the best chai I’ve ever had, delivered to us whenever we wanted. Tea is big in my world.
We slept on comfortable beds in tents that were palacial and beautiful, with bedroom, clothes/chilloutroom (or im feeling sick ‘cos I ate outside YM, room) and a bathroom open to the sky (which we shared with a crow who’s best friend lived in the mirror)
We’d be woken by the lovely lady bringing us chai, fall into yoga, stretch our way to awakeness flopdown to breakfast eat chat chai our way through an hour or two while overlooking fields with birds buffalos goats and dogs going about their life. Our days unfolded like this and we got into a relaxed pace exploring by bycicle resting by the pool sometimes danceing under the stars, and attempting long distant work (as internet is available you can sit in reception and beaver away)
But then there’s the family of staff a YM. We loved the staff . Reception the kitchen the garden all of this is kept going by them and always with a beautiful smiles. they work for Phill and Juliette all yr round. During the rainy season. When a large part of ym is closed The family of staff take down all the tents and pack away all the bits that aren’t meant to be washed away by the monsoon. Then when the puddles emerge (downsized rivers) Yoga magic is rebuilt (cow dung!!!) and reborn to start a new fresh season. (the house remains open to guests during the monsoon) I like the washing and emerging all clean thing of YM it suits my cleaning obsession and goes towards just feeling good there.
The place itself is the organic creation of Phill and Juliette the owners. It is all designed by them along with nature. While we were there they had two brilliant English gardeners volunteering their skills eco gardening there way around the veg and flower beds.
Even though yoga magic is not in the middle of nowhere and although it is set within fields, it is surrounded by Indian life and nature, and while on our first night this was definitely disgruntling we quickly found the wonderful Indianess of life experienced there, was peaceful. We did rest and recouperate our battered” im living a slightly mad life” selves, while staying at YM. we felt looked after by everyone working there. Phil and Juliette and Lyndsey the runners of yoga magic were always kind helpful and generous we really felt everyone working there was happy to be there doing what they were doing and this was a great atmosphere to unwind in. Thankyou its a diamond ( two English girls staying, when we arrived described YM as a diamond in the rough)

Room Tip: ask for tent furthest away from reception
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nelsonallard
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Travelling to Yoga Magic from a resort on the coast, I was a little nervous about what lay ahead of me. My accomodation on the coast wasn't the Ritz, but travelling alone I had become accustomed to the 2 inch thick mattress, freezing shower and mild electrical shock when I turned on the ceiling fan....call it fear of the unknown!

As soon as we got to the end of rough track leading to Yoga Magic, the track opened up to reveal a rather grand looking entrance, in fact, it would be fair to say I almost felt a little intimidated as I left my shoes at the bottom of the steps leading up to the reception entrance...fortunately it transpired I had no cause for concern as the welcome at the top allayed my fears and even as I was checking in I could feel the stresses and strains of the previous week melt from my body into the polished floor beneath my feet....'yup, i've arrived' .

I was shown to my tent by young man called Chino who was incredibly welcoming, hugely knowledable and had that glint in his eyes that suggested he was highly likely to reveal himself as a bit of a character given half the chance...it turned out to be true, a great host and great fun to be around. To be completely honest though, I'm not sure how much I took in as I was far too busy being in awe of quite how beautiful it was and considering how decadent it felt to be there.

The tents are nothing short of luxurious, immaculately kept and the worries I had about the absence of a ceiling fan and being too hot at night were proven to be unnecessary. I slept far better here than I did on the coast, probably due to the fact that the beds are so comfortable (glossy cotton sheets) and the air in- land is quite different. Yes it gets hot, but it was more than bearable at this time of year. I was also slightly concerned about insects and bugs given what I had read here, but there were absolutely no issues on that front - you are in India so there will be mosquitoes and possibly larger ants than you may have seen before, but it is no different here than anywhere else and certainly not a problem!

The bathrooms are beautiful, there is nothing like freshening up in the open air, and the hot showers which are 2 mins away wherever you are (don't worry about trotting around in your bathrobe it's a common occurence!) are a truly wonderful experience, just pull back the curtain and enjoy the stunning views!

The food is as amazing as everyone says it is. If you have booked full board you won't regret it, and if you are yearning for fish or meat there are plenty of decent places to eat nearby, I am sure the staff will be more than happy to advise. I tried La Plage at Ashvem Beach - gorgeous! They don't serve alcohol at Yoga Magic, but if you want to indulge in a quiet glass of wine on your veranda I'm sure no one is going to complain...I certainly enjoyed it!

As you would expect the yoga here is fantastic. The teachers are diverse, incredibly experienced and inspiring. I particularly enjoyed studying with Helen Noakes who teaches Scaravelli inspired yoga - a practice I had not come across before - give it a go!

Things I would note to consider are that if you are not doing the yoga, breakfast doesn't start until 9:30 ish, so be prepared to take it easy. That said, when I wanted to plan a day out staff were extremely accomodating and provided an early breakfast.

Other than that, I have nothing but good things to report about this place. The people are gorgeous, Lyndy and her team go out of their way to make you feel welcome and content, and the venue is sheer bliss. I have come back to the UK truly invigorated and with a different take on life...very few holidays can be given such credit!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank j0sie22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anjuna
The Tamarind Hotel
#1 of 66 in Anjuna
Banyan Tree Yoga Goa
Banyan Tree Yoga Goa
#2 of 12 in Mandrem

Been to Yogamagic Eco Retreat? Share your experiences!