“Just OK”

Ranked #34 of 66 Specialty Lodging in Anjuna
Brooklyn, New York
“Just OK”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This place was okay, but definitely not worth the money. There are a lot of other places in the area closer to the beach that are much cheaper a night and seemed nicer. I think if I came back to Anjuna I would probably try out another spot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Evershine is a guest house, not a hotel. The host and owner, Sebastiana (Bustu), is welcoming and wonderful. I spent a lot of time with her learning, laughing and simply enjoying myself. The overall atmosphere is warm and welcoming. The rooms are comfortable, the location ideal and the cool breeze and chirping birds makes this place exceptional. Unlike many other guest houses in the area they supply toilet paper and towels. They also provide excellent laundry service. One point of advice, if you want your room cleaned, just tell Sebastiana, otherwise they will not disturb you or your room without your permission.

Room Tip: The entrance to Sebastiana's house is where most of the guests gather, drink chai, eat biscuits...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I came to evershine after a bad few days in Mumbai, I was greeted by my name and a smile instantly, and felt better. Sebastiana was amazing. The rooms were better than expected and you could ask for anything you needed. Everything was in walking distance. I met some great people there to an the atmosphere completed it for me, will be back again

• Stayed January 2013
no o' your bizznatch
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Of all the places I stayed in the area, this was the one where I felt most welcome. Sebastiana, the owner/manager, is very gregarious and accommodating. She's equally likely to sit one down and ask you how your day is as help you with any issue one may be having. The place itself is tranquil and aesthetically pleasing. There are a few trivial annoyances, but the pro's easily outweigh these small issues.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Mumbai
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The place is about 100mt inside from the main rd which keeps it silent throughout the day. Anjuna beach is approx 700mt and the market is approx 300mt away. An ideal place for bagpackers and short time visitors if you want to be in Anjuna.

• Stayed December 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Our hotel got randomly canceled as seems to be par for the course in India and we found this place as we looked for a quick replacement. Sebastiana was able to hold a room for us for the 3 nights around New Years and even able to get all 4 of us in the same room. She was super nice and hooked us up with taxis, directions, prices or anything else we needed. Fast Internet and great other guests made it even better. Wish it had breakfast though...overall, good quaint hostel for your typical backpacker.

• Stayed December 2012
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were up in the area late (11PM) one night when we realized were close to this place. I wanted to check it out, because we were looking to move up from Calungute and I had read good things about it. We didn't realize that nobody would be around the reception and felt bad that we had possibly woken them up. Still, Sebastiana and her son were very warm and welcoming to us, and we ended up paying them for the first available night...I believe it was 2 nights later. We told her we should be arriving after we checked out of our place in Calungute around noon.

As things do happen, we ended up getting caught up down in Calungute much longer than we thought. We didn't worry too much about it, though, because we had already paid to secure our room. I arrived around 9pm and was excited to get settled in. She told me that she didn't think I was coming, and had let somebody else take my room. I guess she had told this person that they would need to move if I didn't show up, though. So they left, and I felt a bit bad for having to uproot them (from the room I paid for).

Anyway, the place had working wifi, and that was a MUST for us. I told her after checking and verifying it that I would like to stay as long as possible. I specifically said that. After the next night (which we stayed also), she came over and told me that she couldn't have me stay any longer...that this "one day at a time" arrangement wasn't the best for her. This was confusing because I had told her I wanted to stay as long as possible, and could make the commitment. It actually seemed like she didn't want us there for some reason...so I didn't push it with her. Anyhow, I think she felt bad and ended up moving us to the place next door. Honestly, that was the best thing that could have happened! By then the Internet at Evershine was almost non-existent, and the room at the new place was more spacious, open, well-lit, and had better wifi. We ended up staying there for a full 11 days! If you show up to Evershine and it's full, don't hesitate to move over to the other place. We definitely preferred it. The woman who runs it was so very sweet to us, and we had a great time there.

Maybe the whole thing was a misunderstanding, but it did feel pretty strange. As far as the rooms go, ours really was just average. It felt a little claustrophobic, had "a smell", and didn't seem to be clean in general (it could have been, but some rooms don't "look clean" even after they've been cleaned). I've definitely stayed in worse, though. What I will say is that the bed was AMAZING. One of the best on this trip to India. I also enjoyed sitting on the porch and having some tea in the morning...watching all the exotic birds in the little garden. Overall, unless the other rooms are MUCH better, I couldn't quite understand why the other reviews were so enthusiastic. The room did not seem to match the price we paid, comparitively speaking.

There were a lot of other travelers there as well...I think we enjoyed the more quiet atmosphere of the other place as well. Just something to consider!

Room Tip: Maybe avoid the one with the missing hammock out front...that was ours.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple