“Great food! Great service!”

Old Greenbrier Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 185 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Have been coming here for over 15 years and have always had great food and excellent service! The atmosphere is very inviting and unique.

There are newer reviews for Old Greenbrier Restaurant

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My sunday school class likes to go there as a group on occasion. The catfish is wonderful. Some rave about the barbeque sandwiches. Hot corn fritters are free and good.
The prices are good but not low. Service is great. If you want great food and don't care about atmosphere, this is the place to go.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

My search engine routinely identifies this restaurant as one of Madison's best but when I stumbled across its mention in an old Alabama Vacation Guide at the Huntsville Public Library, I was compelled to visit. The wife and I arrived at around 630 pm Friday night, the last day of February, to find a parking lot completely filled. The sight did not inspire high hopes, the place looks like...well, it just didn't appeal to us. The interior was uninspiring as well but we came for the food, not a night of fine dining. We were greeted by a fast moving staff who were swift, efficient and friendly. The place was packed with happy people chatting away with each other, I got the impression that everyone there knew everyone there if that makes sense. I heard a customer turn back and tell one of the staff "love you" as he left with a ton of takeout, and she fired "love you" right back at him...and I didn't get the impression they were related. This place is located in the middle of nowhere so I don't think all the customers were locals, I think it's just the mecca of comfortable restaurants where people come to relax and enjoy life. The rustic decor includes a simple laminated 2 sided menu with "southern" specialties. My bride ordered a seafood platter while I had fried shrimp. Complimentary hushpuppies were delivered to us seconds after we were seated and they were light and fluffy and some of the best we've ever had. The sweet tea came in large glasses that never had a chance to get low before someone was by with a pitcher topping it off, also some of the best tea we've ever had. I don't eat slaw so I can't provide an opinion on it but I think it comes with every order. My shrimp were good but the batter they were fried in was a bit bland. The misses loved every bite on her plate to include their famous catfish. I sampled all of the many sauces available on the table from the Carolina style vinegar based bbq sauce to the honey bbq favored so many places in the south. There was a white sauce that was probably a variation of ranch salad dressing and there was a good tartar sauce. My cocktail sauce was standard, nothing fancy. It wasn't until I closely examined a BBQ travel guide to Northern Alabama that I learned this place is listed as stop number 4 on their "BBQ Trail." I'm compelled to return to try some BBQ now. A newspaper article framed on the wall mentions a time in the 1950s when a singer was hired to perform on the roof to draw customers, good story...the same one I read in that old tour book I found in the library. So, here's my final word on this place: I think everyone who ever visits Madison County should know about this old place. It feels like a piece of living history and the closest thing in Huntsville/Madison to what I think is uniquely Alabama. Good people making good food for folks wanting and getting a good time. Stop on in.

1  Thank kkibby43
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We've gone here for years, and the pulled pork, cole slaw, and hushpuppies are great. It also has real atmosphere, across from from a cotton gin. The hushpuppies with white sauce are the best (you need to pace yourself not to fill up before your meal arrives). Lots of options for barbeque in Alabama, but this is the place to tr if you are in Huntsville.

1  Thank 977ritam
Reviewed January 15, 2014

The best service, the best hushpuppies in the world. Everything that you eat there is delicious. Old building is what makes it comfortable just go as you are or dress up no one notices or cares.

1  Thank Annieb12387