“With a few tweaks could be a homerun hitter!”

Sakura Japanese Steak House
Ranked #45 of 182 Restaurants in Madison
Good for: Families with children
Huntsville, Alabama
“With a few tweaks could be a homerun hitter!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I really want to adore this restaurant because it is so close to home. After dining there over 6 times, I just don't love it. At each visit my party has eaten at the tiny sushi bar at the back, which I think seats 7.

The good: The restaurant is clean and the rest room is almost "swanky" in it's modern feel and very clean, too. Their wine is reasonably priced. The gratis small roasted fish salad that each person receives is good, althought super-heavy on the fish flakes (?) or some type of flake on top. I'm sure I could ask for those to be removed, but why look a gift horse in the mouth? The following appetizers (as noted on the extensive menu) "From Kitchen" are good: Gyoza (pan fried pork dumplings); the beef appetizer, and the miso soup. The sushi and the sashimi are good. The sushi chefs keep really busy and are very likeable.

The not-as-good: There is a large staff for the amount of business they do, and many of the servers/hostesses are just standing around, when it would be more prudent to see how they could be of use to the patrons. The Crispy Salad **always** comes absolutely swimming in Ginger dressing. I mean it is literally soup-like. There always seems to be something missing for at least one person in our party (i.e., a sushi order sheet, a pencil, a menu, or the server when we would like a refill). The hibachi tables are generally pretty full and can be a bit noisy, but, hey, folks are having fun! Nothing like catching a flying shrimp in your mouth!!!! My "greet time" at the bar this week was 5+ minutes, while there were two servers behind the bar and only one other patron at the bar. To their credit though, I think they have just hired a bartender (although he was not dedicated solely to bartending this night), and are perhaps having growing pains.

I do hope this restaurant makes it, because, there are not many good places to dine in this part of town. Try Dollar Sushi Tuesday, it looks like they offer 10 sushi selections for $1 each. I'd love to hear how you like it!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank jewel10430620

Atlanta, Georgia
“Best Hibachi in North Alabama”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Simply the best Japanese hibachi restaurant in North Alabama.
Very welcoming to families, parties, individuals, and couples. Dine at the hibachi, as your first choice. Other options include a more intimate table or cozy booth, the excellent sushi bar, or the bar itself with a large flatscreen.
The food is ample and very good; the children's menu includes hibachi items at very reasonable prices. The atmosphere is the best around, because the restaurant is small, therefore cozy, and a neighborhood favorite, yet very welcoming, lively, and extremely clean. And it is affordable enough to encourage locals to come back regularly, which sets it apart from good chain restaurants.
The servers are energetic, fast, and work very hard to let your chef and the food be the stars.
Hints: Do experience the hibachi... go along with the entertaining chef and have a great time. (Children love the hibachi, as the chefs give children sincere, fun attention.) Remember, your server must halve his tips with the chef, so be considerate. Arrive early, between 5:00pm and 6:00pm, seems best. Allow for hibachi table seating to fill to eight; the more the merrier! Ask your server for any special requests; they are eager to meet your every request.
Our family favorite for every occasion, for every age. Worth the drive, easy to find in the Publix shopping center, on County Line Road just off the interstate.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank WalkerTribe
Huntsville, Alabama
“Gorgeous inside! Compliments to chef.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Our favorite Japanese restaurant in the Madison / Huntsville area. Tucked away in a strip mall behind Famous Joe's pizzeria, you might mistake this place for a vacant storefront -- until you open the door. Once inside, my wife looked around at the Japanese decor and said, It's gorgeous! We went after Sunday morning church, and there was no wait for seating. They have lunch specials on weekdays, but on Sunday you order off the dinner menu. My wife and I ordered a Seafood Teriyaki entree, to share. It came with miso soup, a salad, and rice. It was all very good, She sent her compliments to the chef (although my wife knew she doesn't care much for miso soup, and gave that to me). She then ordered some kind of lemon curd square, which we split for for dessert. The price for this light dinner was $32. The music when we were seated was soft and beautiful, traditional Japanese music. However, as more Americans were seated, they soon switched to 1950s American nightclub vocalists, e.g., Frank Sinatra Sr. My wife said this music was "classy." I liked it OK, but thought they played it a bit loud. I liked their soothing Japanese music better.

• Visited September 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our special occasion restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

My husband and I go there for special occasions. We enjoy watching the chef prepare our meal which is very entertaining for adults as well as children. The food is great whether it is shrimp, steak, scallops or whatever your pallet has a yearning for. It is cooked to perfection.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank GloriaG256

Been to Sakura Japanese Steak House? Share your experiences!