“Popular Restaurant - Goods and Bads” 3 of 5 bubbles

Little Libby's Catfish and Diner
Ranked #8 of 180 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Madison, Alabama
“Popular Restaurant - Goods and Bads”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

I took a colleague of mine to a local restaurant that is often packed. The place is for locals and has a broad and diverse menu ranging from catfish (their best fare) to steak, burgers, salads, BBQ and a host of other foods. At lunch they have varied specials to include swiss steak, chuckwagons (similar to a country fried chicken), and a chicken and dressing. You get two sides and they throw in a desert all for about $6 or less. I ordered the swiss steak and my friend tackled the chicken and dressing. We love catfish and theirs is exceptional. It is among the best catfish in the area but today we chose the specials. We received our orders, my swiss steak had a cream sauce with barely perceptible bits of tomatoes in it. The other meal had dressing with barely any visible signs of chicken in it. In fact, I suggested to my friend that he got his dressing but they forgot the chicken. The waitress informed us that the chicken was in the dressing. After parsing out the chicken, my friend had chicken that would have filled a baby spoon. Pointing this out to the waitress yielded no results either. The swiss steak is not like any swiss steak you'd ever seen before. Not a good meal in my book. I suggest that you stick with the catfish!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank UFORich

Huntsville, Alabama
“Down home food & friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Always enjoy this little hidden gem in Madison Al. Friendly staff, good food. Lunch specials and lots to choose from. Large portions. I have ate here several different occasions and it's always a good choice in varitey of menu options.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank BAMA-Girl-Travels
Madison, Alabama
“Solid Blue Collar Diner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I didn't know this was a chain until just now when I tried to find it in tripadvisor and several popped up. This one is kind of hidden off of Madison Blvd in Madison City AL. The girls got out of school early on account of the tornado scare so I figured a family lunch was in order. This is an older looking kind of diner but it's not run down or shabby, just dated. There was plenty of parking available when we arrived just after 1 o'clock and the lunch rush was departing. Plenty of seating inside too. Unlike so many dive diners we've been to, this place was well tended to inside though again, nothing fancy. The ladies in colorful t-shirts were scurrying from table to table taking care of business. My impression of this place is a working man & woman's place to grab a good meal at a fair price without any bells and whistles. The menu is full of comfort food, most of which I liked. You'll pay about $2 for your drink but can easily find a good meat & 3 meal for about $7. If you're looking for fine dining, look elsewhere. If you plan on visiting for lunch, come early or some of the menu items may be gone by the time you order. I probably won't return but not because it was bad, it was average.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank kkibby43
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AWESOME!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

This restaurant offers such a variety of "good" food items that you have to keep coming just to determine a favorite. By offering a different menu of "lunch items", even if you dined everyday, you can have something different. I would be remissed if I did not say that they are known for their catfish and definately the catfish nuggets (which are my favorites). Never the less, everything that I have had has been tastefully good. Good ol' down home folk, delivering Good ol' down home food!

• Visited January 2014
Athens, Alabama
“Just Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is a very popular place as we had driven by several times and noticed the parking lot which is usually at or near capacity. We stopped for breakfast just after they opened on a Sunday morning and were served by a very good waitress. The breakfast menu was your typical, the prices typical as well. Good coffee which they keep filled, otherwise the same nearly every other diner you can imagine. The interior is old but functional. Our two simple two egg breakfasts with side meat and coffee was a little over $16.00 without tip.

• Visited November 2013