“A Little Bit of Home”
Review of Chuck Wagon BBQ

Chuck Wagon BBQ
Ranked #1 of 185 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: The best of Texas in Madison, AL!
Description: The best of Texas in Madison, AL!
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A Texan without BBQ is like a day without sunshine! Nice to know the Chuck Wagon is here and serving great TEXAS style BBQ. It's so funny watching the local find out real BBQ is made with Beef and NOT pork! =) Luckily the ownwer has taken heart and managed to serve a little pulled pork for the locals, but many are impressed with the smoked birsket (as we all were!) along with the spicy sausages (made with jalapeno) and all the proper side items like pickes, japaleno and raw onion. Yummy, jusy like home! If you're a Texan, you'll love it, if you're a local, come and try it. Excellent food, any way you slice it. Sandwiches, combo plates and orders by the pound are all available, and all taste great. Be sure to stop by and enjoy some great Texas style food. The only place like it in Huntsville.

1  Thank texasese
There are newer reviews for Chuck Wagon BBQ

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Hoo boy! Finally found a superb hole in the wall BBQ place, recommended by my local friends. We had to get to the Chuck Wagon, which by the way is the very definition of "rustic" in decor, at 11 am and even then the line was probably 30 people long! I had the best brisket and sausage in a long time, perhaps ever. Their coleslaw was definitely made fresh that morning and I bet the potato salad was too. I usually can find some flaw with a meal but not here, totally satisfied. I needed a nap after lunch.....

Highly recommended!

1  Thank Ron L
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This BBQ "shack" is just west of Wall-Triana on Madison Blvd, near I-565. Don't be put off by its outside appearance. I was gratified to see their TripAdvisor decal -- the first one I've seen in Madison. For supper on a Thursday, my wife and I shared a chicken plate, with beans, vinegar slaw and buttered BBQ toast. And a slice of peanut butter pie. I got a Sprite, and she got a bottled water. The plate had almost half a chicken, including a leg, a wing, and about half a breast. The chicken was very good. The best part of the meal was the beans. Actually, it was the large pieces of superb BBQ beef that was in the beans to season them. So, these beans were excellent. The vinegar slaw was very good, and the peanut butter pie was very good. Our cost for this meal was about $17. That said, this place is famous for its beef, especially the brisket. So, if you're from out West where real BBQ involves a cow, you'll want to stop here. (I'm from where real BBQ involves a pig, so I myself don't really understand beef brisket.) The place is air conditioned (don't sit under a breezy cold air vent), and had nice guitar music playing mostly western tunes. The music was very good. If you arrive when they open, you can get a nice seat inside instead of one out on the back porch. A lot of people were getting take out orders. We'll want to come back to try the beef ribs, and the sausage. We have tried the pork BBQ here in the past, and it was very good.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

A lttle pricey, but overall great food. Spicy sausage had great flavor. The ribs weren't the largest, but great cuts and great flavor. Pulled pork left isn't good on it's own and needs the BBQ sauce to make it mediocre. Brisket was fabulous. It's a hole in the wall next to the KFC definitely worth the trip. It's a local favorite.

1  Thank Phantom327
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Hands down, this is the best barbeque in the Huntsville/Madison metro area and quite possibly in all of Alabama! (Not a surprise, since the very best food seems to always come from a "hole-in-the-wall, which the Chuck Wagon most definitely is.)

I'll only speak to the three meats that I've had at the Chuck Wagon: brisket, sausage and ribs. The brisket is amazing, cooked (and SLICED) in true West Texas style; it's smoked "just right" and always has great flavor. The sausage also has a great flavor with a great blend of spices, never too hot/spicey and never bland. The ribs cost a little bit more but, my oh my, they're worth it -- especially when combined with the brisket or sausage on a two-meat plate.

The sides are delicious, especially the potato salad and the baked beans. Can't speak for the others but those who select them seem to like those sides as well. Finally, while you won't need a dessert to walk away with your belly full, they're incredible as well.

If you get a chance to talk to the owner and chief cook, take a few minutes to get to know him. He's from West Texas -- way out west West Texas -- and he'd love to talk to you about "home". He's a really good man... and a GREAT BARBEQUE-OLOGIST!

2  Thank BamaRedRaider

Been to Chuck Wagon BBQ? Share your experiences!