“A comfortable stay at a good price”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Madison
Sarasota/Bradenton, Florida
“A comfortable stay at a good price”
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Stayed here for business for 3 nights. Clean, comfortable room, good wi-fi signal, big TV, comfortable bed, nice bathroom. Manager was able to be flexible with a late check out which was very helpful. I didn't get to try out the pool or fitness room, so I can't comment on those. Variety of breakfast foods was very nice- waffles, yogurt, eggs, cereal, juice, coffee, oatmeal, etc. I would not hesitate to stay here again and would recommend it to others staying in this part of town.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank Goldstarvw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed August 31, 2010

This is a great hotel for business. As one reviewer stated it is close to the airport. I won't restate what others have already mentioned, except to emphasize a few points.

First, during my stay they got the cookies in at the desk. Stayed the week of 23 Jul 10.

Second, the A/C did not work yet in the fitness room. Staff said they were trying. I suggested a big fan. In addition to the two treadmills and universal weight system, they have a elliptical. TV was still not installed. Bring your iPod or MP3.

Business center consists of two PCs. No printer to print boarding passes, but it is on the way.

Hot tub was fine. Didn't try the pool.

Breakfast was skimpy but worked for me. Its the same common fare you'd get at a Hampton Inn. Microwave eggs, sausage, a waffle maker, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt and milk. Nothing fancy but it works for adults. TV hasn't been installed yet.

Room was very nice. Had the King Suite. A/C was warm when I checked it, but reset the thermostat and everything cooled off. Flat screen TVs in the rooms. Channel selection was OK, but don't expect HBO or FitTV. They have wired and wireless connections. Both worked fine.

Rates were good and be sure to check for specials. I got the room for less than the gov't per diem rate so that was great.

Staff was very friendly and tried to help with the fitness room A/C.

All in all I plan on staying there again and have made reservations for another trip next month. I travel to Huntsville often enough. The hotel is a good value for what you get. Its not the Embassy Suites, but its new and very nice. Families will like once they get the breakfast thing worked out.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank wiremand
Meridian, Mississippi
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Traveled to Huntsville for business and was glad to find this hotel close to the airport. It is a new hotel, I was told it had only been open for a couple of weeks. The layout is very nice and the hotel is clean. The business center was impressive with new computers and the signal was good in my room.

It is in an excellent location for the business traveler, close to the airport and 565 which provides for quick transit to downtown depending on the time of day. There are quite a few restraunts nearby.

Their workout room has two treadmills and a small universal type weight machine. They still have not installed a TV so I was glad that I had my IPOD, the cable is there it just hasn't been hooked up yet. The only drawback as mentioned by a previous reviewer is that there was no air conditioning or fan in the workout room. This made it very uncomfortable to work out, especially when another guest came in to run as well. The pool and hot tub area is nice but the pool was not heated.

The staff was friendly and helpful in all respects. The breakfast area was nice. The food for breakfast was sparse but adequate for my needs. I could see how it would be less than adequate for a family with children, as mentioned in the previous review.

I would stay there again when I return on business.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank RoadGator
Meridian, Mississippi
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We stayed here for 1 night while passing through Huntsville. Brand new hotel, had only been open for less than 2 weeks. Beautiful hotel, in a great location, nearby to lots of restaurants, shopping and only about 10 minutes to the Rocket & Space Center.

We checked in about 3:30 in the afternoon (we booked a 2-queen suite), and the room temp was 75 upon check-in. We immediately set the thermostat to 68 and waited ... and waited. We left our room about 6:00 to meet some friends and the temp had only dropped to 74. We told the front desk about this as we were leaving and the young lady said she would move us if it was still warm when we returned.

I should mention that they did NOT have any luggage carts; we were told they are on order. It took 6 trips up the stairs to unload the car but the young lady at the front desk offered twice to help with our stuff. I thought it was very nice of her to offer. They also did not have the Otis Spunkmeyer cookies at check-in. She said they are not set up for that yet either.

We came back about 11:30 and the room temp was 72, still uncomfortably warm. Way too warm to sleep. The night clerk tried another room but for some crazy reason, the heat had been turned on and that room was 84 degrees! We tried 2 more suites but the A/C had been left off so they were 74 or above already. We waited about 45 minutes but the second room never cooled. She ended up moving us to 2 double rooms where the air had been left on so they were already cool when we moved in. Total time to find a new room and move all of our stuff was about an hour and a half. The kids were exhausted by then.

The next morning we went down to the breakfast area but were greatly disappointed. No eggs, no cereal, no biscuits, skim milk only (plastic gallon jug, not the milk dispenser). They had pre-made oatmeal in a warmer, (no packets), bacon crumbles (not slices), little soft taco shells, potato cubes and taco toppings (sour cream, cheese). They had yogurt and boiled eggs and a waffle maker. We went back to our room and just packed out to leave.

The owner of the hotel saw us bypass the free breakfast and called our room. I was honest about my disappointment and he offered to make eggs and bring out the cereal. Although I do not understand why those items were not already out and available, I thought it was nice of him to offer. We declined, however.

Upon checkout, he was aware that we were the family that had to move to other rooms and he said he didn't understand why the a/c was not cooling sufficiently but would look into it right away. I was only charged for the original 2-queen suite.

I don't know if they plan to heat the pool at a later date but the kids went to swim and it was NOT heated. Also, my husband used the treadmill in the workout room but there was absolutely no air conditioning in that room either; it was easily 80 degrees at 5 in the afternoon. We made the owner aware of these issues upon check-out and he seemed genuinely concerned with our concerns.

The beds and bed linens (love the comforters!) were very comfortable, the bathrooms were clean and had excellent makeup lighting, the business center is very nice, the computers are new, the lobby is beautiful, the grounds are clean and the staff (that we encountered) were friendly.

All in all, I think this hotel has the potential to be great. I would stay here again but I think I'd wait about 6 months until they get the "bugs" worked out.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank katiescarlett67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Best Western Plus Madison-Huntsville Hotel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Huntsville Airport Madison
Hampton Inn Madison
Hampton Inn Madison
#1 of 13 in Madison
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Huntsville Airport
Baymont Inn & Suites Huntsville Airport/Madison
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville West - Research Pk

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Madison? Share your experiences!