“EXCELLENT PLACE TO STAY”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Huntsville Airport Madison
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Madison
Ava, Missouri
“EXCELLENT PLACE TO STAY”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This LaQuinta was clean, very modern, great breakfast, Very nice rooms and had the best staff!! The staff was so accommodating, we had a small dog and our family was in town for a funeral. Even though there is a pet policy we were able to leave our dog in her kennel in our room. LaQuinta's are "pet friendly" which is good because it is our first choice to stay at. I'd stay here again, the only down side is the pool is indoors, which in Alabama you would think the pool would be outside but I cannot complain, we were very impressed with our stay.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Cincinnati
Reviewed June 25, 2013

First let me say I always look at TripAdvisor for ratings before I book a hotel. In this case it was way off, especially with the breakfast.
We travel to Huntsville once a year to take our children to SpaceCamp. We decided to make use of some frequent flyer miles to book the hotel for a Saturday night stay. We checked in and a credit card was requested for incidentals. When we got home we found a $74 charge on our card for our room. When I called the hotel I was told that since the agent the airline used had simply reserved the room for us and not paid for it. I was plainly told that this was not La Quinta's fault and we need to take it up with the airline. After my wife spending 30 minutes on the phone with the airline we confirmed the mile were deducted from our account and the room was paid in full. In the meantime I had a voicemail from the same employee asking me to call. When I called back I was told that this was only supposed to be a "hold" charge that it was never actually meant to go through and we would receive a credit in 2-4 working days. Surprise, it did, and at the end of our billing cycle which means we must pay that false charge or pay interest. Hopefully it was an honest mistake. Can we get the thirty minutes back we wasted on the phone? plus the aggravation?
The breakfast. The following items were listed on the hotel's corporate webpage for this location (which was a huge reason we chose this hotel, plus reviews) and were not there: Hard Boiled Eggs, Yogurt, Sausage, Bacon, Eggs, Grits. We arrived for breakfast around 8:30 and none of these were to be found. When I asked where the sausage I pointed to the biscuits and gravy and told it was in the gravy. Not being a gravy eater I was unable to verify. It was all the hostess could do to keep those filled as seven gentlemen that looked to be part of a road construction crew were clearing them out as soon as she refilled it. There was one bagel, maybe a few assorted pastries and about four assorted pieces of bread. I had cold cereal, not the hot breakfast I wanted. The fresh fruit was in short supply as well, about an hour later I asked my wife to grab me a banana and there were none left. Also the hotel was probably only 30-40% full so why the shortage of food? As I had paid with my miles (once you book with those they are gone forever, even if you cancel) I simply chose to leave and pay for a breakfast elsewhere. I saw no use in complaining.
Another reason we stayed at the hotel was the pool for our son. I was surprised to see the pool closes at 9 PM. This is the first time I have encountered one that closed before 10PM. My son ended up only getting about 30 minutes of swim time in after spending 6+ hours in a car.
No real complaints on the room. It was clean but there was a certain smell to it though not unpleasant. Perhaps because it is a pet-friendly hotel. Beds we good and we slept well.
The hotel hallways and common areas were clean. Another odd thing is they lock the main entrance at 9PM and you need a hotel key to get in or must wait for a staff member to let you in. My wife found this out the hard way as she had to outside for cell phone reception.
This hotel needs to focus on customer service. The problems I listed should not have happened. They are easily avoidable. Instead of a pleasant stay and positive review this is what happens. For a little bit more we could have stayed at the Marriot right next to SpaceCamp and had a good continental breakfast. When we checked in and found out they were pet-friendly we thought we might stay there when we picked our child from SpaceCamp, bringing our dog with us as we planned to stay in town for a few days. We'll be staying elsewhere.

1 Thank DougMCincinnati
phoebesteele, Director of Sales at La Quinta Inn & Suites Huntsville Airport Madison, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Good Morning Sir,

I am Phoebe Steele, Director of Sales with the "Ooh, La, La...La Quinta Madison!" and I want to exert all efforts to apologize to you for your less than desirable experience. I regret not having the opportunity to make it right for you and your family during your stay as I travel frequently with my family and can identify with how precious that time together is.

You are so right in saying that the occurrences could have been avoided, we know your experience cannot be done over but, since we strive to exceed our guest expectations as indicated in our scores and awards, I would like to speak with you to determine your thoughts on making it right for you. Until that time, in appreciation of your loyalty as a La Quinta Returns member, I would like to share with you how we always strive to exceed our guest expectations.

Your courtesy pre-authorization on your card, as with all hotels is done for incidentals and will vary in processing, depending on its status as a credit or debit card. In some cases it happens immediately and other financial institutions may take 10-14 business days. The next step, once you have checked out of your room, is the released of hold in our system, then your financial institution processes it as deemed by their company policy. Our Front Desk Service Representative made attempts to resolve your concerns by encouraging you to follow up with your institution. By law, they cannot discuss your account with us, but can confirm with you that it was an actual hold and not a processed charge.

Understanding your justified frustration, I can clearly see how irritating it must have been to come to breakfast, right after the departure of a large group, and find the breakfast items being replenished, further creating a delay with some items also not a part of the selection that day. We do rotate our breakfast menu for variety and per guest repeated demand, serve the sausage and gravy with biscuits on one of the 7 days. Our eggs, bacon and/or sausage are served on the remaining six.

We always pre-plan for our breakfast servings based on the numbers indicated to us for each room and as a result of other hotels with additional person charges, we are denied the accurate count of in room guest. This is what results in delays with unexpected guest in the room however, we always attempt go above and beyond to ensure all guest have a Bright Starts with a Bright Side breakfast.

Some of your other concerns are standard practices in the hotel industry to ensure safety, security and concern for all hotel guest. Although our standard pool hours as many others end at 9PM, there have been occurrences where extensions were given to due to various family, team or corporate event time extensions, just by notifying us. I really wish you had. I also understand the frustration of our lock door policy as I have had that issue as well with traveling, but please know that it is a means of customer service, in all efforts to ensure the safety of all of our guest.

In closing, I do apologize for your undesirable experience and am really looking forward to speaking with you. Thank you so much for your shared comments as it creates opportunities to discover the best ways to ensure guest satisfaction. Thanks again, and we truly appreciate you.

Phoebe Steele, Director of Sales
Alabama, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed in the King Studio Suite. The room was incredibly clean and not too crowded. The entire staff was SO nice and helpful! Even when I called the front desk at 3am for the wifi password, she was SO sweet and didn't make me feel like she didn't enjoy her job or that I was bothering her. Debbie did the breakfast the morning we were there and she set the tone for the rest of my day! She was so bright and cheerful and even when someone complained and yelled because the orange juice was out, she handled it so well and just kept smiling. James helped us check out and I can say the same for him. He asked if I would leave a review and if I would like to sign up for their rewards program. I actually said yes to both which is rare for me. But I didn't feel like he was pushing me and asking over and over again. The pool was very clean and I felt fine about putting my 9 month old in it. My only complaint is that the smoking area on the side of the building could have been bigger to accommodate more people. It got pretty crowded and there was only a seat for 2 people. But, I think that's a VERY small complaint. Overall we will definitely stay here again! I was blown away!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 22, 2013

There are two other La Quintas in the Huntsville area. You don't want to stay at either one. The staff is not friendly, the rooms are outside access and they are not in good neighborhoods. This La Quinta is fairly new and I've stayed there a couple of times of the past couple of years. Each time the experience has been outstanding.

Spokane
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Very nice stay, I chose this location because of it's ratings and proximity to the airport. Worked great. Friendly staff, great directions and restaurant suggestions.

VERY clean, good internet access and comfortable.

I can't think of anything negative, and I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Room was large, bed was comfortable, carpet was clean, towels were clean and didn't smell like bleach (nice change). I travel with a disabled young adult and this was a very good experience for him. When I asked for a quieter room it happened immediately. Our stay was during a soccer tournament weekend so the hotel was very loud and busy. Our first room was surrounded by noise so when I asked to be moved to a quieter room I was accommodated and Tasha was so pleasant and apologetic. We would stay again should we travel through Madison Alabama.

Room Tip: Light sleepers request the third floor away from the ice machine.