“Tasteless”

Add it.
Hook's BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed March 9, 2014

My family is currently staying at the hotel located behind this restaurant. I read the reviews (which were all positive) and was eager to give it a try. My husband loves barbecue and I was excited about having camp stew. He and I both were in for a huge disappointment. His sandwich was soggy from the sauce (which tasted like it came from a bottle) and the meat was not bad but nothing special. I had yet to try my camp stew and was going to pass my husband's food off as a one time fluke. When I got around to trying my stew, it was horrible. It had no distinct taste. All I could really make out was an overwhelming taste of tomatoes. I paid over $8 for a quart of this stew so you can imagine how disappointing it was to find it tasteless. I called the restaurant back and asked if I could bring it back and get something else. I was told by the person that answered the phone that she didn't think they did that but she would let me speak to the person in charge. A woman identified herself as Tiffany and told me that Hook's did not take back food just because a customer didn't like it. She said I had to have a real reason for them to accept it back for a refund and/or replace it. I remember thinking, "Wow, she really said that." I told her I did have a real problem. My food is nasty. She told me that was not an excuse. What ever happened to customer service standards? I'm not saying the customer should always be right. But, when you are told that your food is substandard, you response is, "that's not a good excuse?" I will never go back there for anything and I will tell everyone I know that if they go to Hook's and find the food not to their liking....DON'T ask for your money back or a replacement item because Hook's doesn't do that. Tasteless food is not a good reason in their book. I thought the south was known for southern hospitality. Someone needs to remind this place of that. Don't waste your time.

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Bbq pork is great. Ribs fall off the bone tender.reminds me alot of the original one in opp.sauce is warm if u get the hot one but it tastes great

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here on our trip to FL based solely on Trip Advisor reviews. The BBQ here is well worth a visit, but unless you want to smell like smoke the rest of the day you should not spend a lot of time inside. Seriously, when we walked in I thought we had gone into a time warp back to the time when all the restaurants allowed smoking, except no one was smoking. The smoke from the wood pit where they cook the meat hung in the air like an overcast. We ordered our BBQ sandwiches and took them outside to the picnic tables where we enjoyed the excellent BBQ pork. Sides are very generous, they come in pint-sized containers that 2 people could split.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Absolute best BBQ I have ever had! My husband and I travel through this area quite frequently back and forth between our home and the beach. Passed by the place many times, and decided to stop one even on our way down. So glad we did! The BBQ was awesome! Great coleslaw, okra, and fries too! Small, quaint, place with some outdoor seating. You might would overlook it if your not watching closely, but be sure you stop! It is great!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Hooks in Luverne is one of the best hidden gems in Alabama in terms of Bar B Que. The meat is tender and moist and the sauces are all delicious. The decor is simple and plain and would be easy to overlook as you pass by. However, the locals know this is the place to go for great BBQ and it can get crowded at lunch time and on Saturdays. The sweet potato fries can't be beat as well. Their prices are very reasonable. We love the large pork sandwiches, thier potato salad and their coleslaw. You won't be dissapointed. We make the drive from Troy on a fairly regular basis to eat here.