“Wonderful Relaxing Weekend Getaway!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leesburg
The Secret Bed and Breakfast Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Leesburg B&B and Inns
Mississippi
“Wonderful Relaxing Weekend Getaway!!”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We felt compelled to write a review after reading some of the bad write-ups people have posted about The Secret Bed and Breakfast!! This is a great place to stay if you are looking for a relaxing place to kick back and enjoy a wonderful view. You will not get this view at the Best Western or Holiday Inn!!! We stayed in The Tree House, which was really cute and fun. It is a bit rustic, but it was clean and exactly the romantic getaway we had in mind. The owners and staff are great people, the breakfast is fantastic and yes you will hear "grace" before the meal. This is the south and most people here would be offended if you did "not" give Thanks!!! We enjoyed a day at the pool, which has a great view of Lake Weiss. The Lodge area is beautiful and filled with antiques and interesting items of interest. We are planning a return visit and will recommend it to our friends.
The architecture of the main house is fantastic. Built in the mid 60s, with a flavor of Frank Loyd Wright. Tongue and groove ceilings, stone fire place and large open areas with lots of glass. Hope this helps.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DRAFT1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
atlanta
Reviewed January 6, 2010

We were disappointed in the condition of the cottage that we were given at check in. It was musty and out dated but since it was some what clean and late in the afternoon, we decided to stay.
But later when some friends and family came by for a drink before dinner, things became very strange. The owners ordered them off the property. We were told that they: "did not want certain kinds of people on their property". The owners became visibly agitated and rude and a little scary, so we packed up and left, without even getting a refund.
I have never stayed anywhere, hotel or B&B, where such obvious bigotry was so openly displayed. My advice if you are not white and main stream looking, beware! I was told that this was their property and they would shut it down before "certain people" would be allowed to stay there.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank Melzinn
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed October 26, 2009

For $165 a night, my husband and I stayed in the Nautical cottage for my best friend's wedding weekend. The website showed a beautiful cottage, somewhat isolated, with beautiful views. In reality, the cottage was pleasant, with a full kitchen (extremely outdated applicances), decks to view the valleys below and a faux fireplace in the living room.

The bathroom was completely utilitarian, with generic soaps and scratchy towels. At the price we paid, I would have expected at least soft towels and perhaps a robe, with no instructions as to what could be used for makeup and what could not. The bathtub was small, though relatively clean. Don't expect to take a long, steamy shower, though. The shower head was barely a trickle.

The bed was king-sized, one thing that was as promised, but extremely uncomfortable. Nothing that a $80 pillow top wouldn't fix, but I got the feeling the owners didn't want to invest in even that much.

The satellite TV did not work; the only thing it would play was tapes from the ancient video library in the main lodge - yes, I did say tapes. No DVDs anywhere.

The outside lighting by which we had planned to sit and enjoy the peaceful mountain air did not work. Had it come on, we would have had a lovely view from our living room of the cottage next door - all of 20 feet from our own.

The owners were pleasant enough, if you don't mind having your personal life pried into. In addition, my friends (the bride and groom) were having a much rougher time with their "Lakefront Cottage" - spiders and mold and dirt, oh my - were blamed entirely for their problems. How they were responsible for a dirty room and an ant invasion, I can't imagine, but that type of service is never acceptable.

My final complaint is that the B&B appears to be open, large, and friendly on the website, which is completely not true. The cabins are built practically on top of each other, with one exception. We had planned to be able to visit the bride and groom with a short walk, but it turned out that the lakefront cottage was a 10 minute drive away. The owners seemed incredulous that I even imagined that and laughed at me.

In short, I would never stay at this place again. As they are, no cottage or room at The Secret is worth more than $100 per night. My suggestion to other travelers are to find the Holiday Inn in Atalla or anywhere else to get better value and a better experience (and probably a better breakfast).

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CentralTX
spiffyjenny
Reviewed October 25, 2009

My personal experience was possibly unique in that I had the misfortune of experiencing the "lake cottage" during a problematic time during cleaning staff turnover. We were greeted by cobwebs and an impressive amount of mold in the coffee pot as well as the tray that held the moldy coffee grounds that I stupidly opened, and puffed the mold/dust all over the food I had just opened.

Notable items: on this cottage, you are paying $165 a night for RUSTIC. You are not getting a secluded area for this cottage. It is about a 10 minute drive from the main building. There is a mobile home (it IS separated by a fence from the cottage) approximately 50 YARDs from the left side of your cottage. There are residences near you. Amenities: you are getting the standard-issue motel-ish shampoo/conditioner and drying bars of soap, unpersonalized and cheap. You are instructed which washcloths to use for makeup removal - irritating for $165 a night. This was my personal impression of a little lakehouse that you might spend a scrubby weekend in - for free, because a friend offered to let you borrow it! This was my wedding weekend, so it ended up being inappropriate.

After the clean replacement coffee pot was delivered, I was assured that the housekeeper had been informed that her JOB was on the line because of me. SO, the next morning, I was forced to take all of my belongings (all the wedding supplies, etc!) WITH me during the day, so as not to leave them to the mercy of the person whose job I had personally jeopardized. WOW. I guessed she'd be busy enough cleaning the ants that had decided to visit the trash by morning.

Be prepared to pray before breakfast. It doesn't offend me, but might be a little irritating for anyone who might not be Christian.

My best friend was a trouper and offered to facilitate getting my room switched to the tranquility room in the inn. Much better. Still not in the $125 range, but there were no pests or mold. The view was BEAUTIFUL, and a male cardinal came to my corner of the outside deck and sang me a song the first day I was married.

If you're looking to spend a little extra to be away from things, check it out, and bring your favorite toiletries. You should be satisfied. If you like a soft bed, nice towels, and reliable customer service, hop on over to the Holiday Inn at the Attalla exit. My family had a very nice stay for a modest $90 a night.

I felt compelled to review because the owner actually told my friend, "at least you're from Texas..." Upon a request for clarification, she went on to say, "at least you're not from Birmingham or nearby and can't tell everyone near here.." Again, WOW. So, if you're from Texas, beware. Everyone else, disregard.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank spiffyjenny
SAND ROCK
Reviewed September 19, 2009

We have stayed at The Secret many times--usually for 4 to 5 days at a time. Carl and Diann could not be better hosts. The inn is always well cared for, the breakfasts are absolutely awesome, and they always treat us like family come home--which I think is the idea behind a bed & breakfast. They have several unique cottages--we like the Nautical most. The cottage has a full kitchen, living room, bedroom, and full bath, plus a great whirlpool tub. It also has a couple of great decks with awesome views of mountains and Weiss lake.We love the view so much that we purchased some property to build our retirement home on less than a mile away.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank raweiss50
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Reviewed August 8, 2009

My wife and I are experienced travelers.....numerous countries in Europe and Asia over a span of 45 years, and therefore feel qualified to assess the quality of temporary lodging. The only "Secret" about this B&B is that no one has posted an "honest" review, which would have prevented us from wasting our time and money. In our book, it ranks in the top 20......of places that we would not return too.

I realize that when one stays at a B&B, you are sharing someone else's home. However, the Secret's hosts seem to have forgotten that the people they are sharing their home with are paying guests, and not an in-law that happened to show up and must be catered too. Upon arrival, the host was friendly enough but one could tell that he had done this many times and there was a hint of insincerity. He explained the house rules, did a mini-tour of the living room, gave us our key and told us that our room was at the top of the stairs at the end of the hallway (a good host would have at least walked to the room). He did explain that some of the electrical outlets were not working, due to renovations. One of the things stressed was that the coffee pot, in the dining area, would start at 7:00 AM (a good host would have allowed their early rising guests to start the coffee whenever they awoke). He did provide recommendations for a great steak house in the area. We only saw the hostess a couple of times, in passing.....I understand she was caring for an ailing mother.

Upon arrival in our room we were impressed with the view from our balcony.....the one good feature of the B&B. However, the room left a lot to be desired. Some notable items: only one mirror in a smallish bathroom (plenty of blank wall space to hang another mirror in the room), the aforementioned electrical fixtures that did not work (the only lights were one working lamp by the bed and the fixtures in the ceiling fan), sink water faucets that turned the wrong way (simple fix), an antiquated TV that did not have access to any stations (only the VCR), and although the room appeared clean and neat, the cobwebs by the patio door and mold on the bathtub door indicate that it never receives a deep cleaning. I won't go into the details of the poorly located toilet tissue dispenser that interferes with, well-you-know.....glad that my wife and I were not big people.

The morning of our departure we discovered that there was no hair dryer.....glad we packed ours. It would have been great to have sat on the balcony with an early morning coffee and watch the sun come up. However, by the time the coffee was ready, the sun was too bright to sit outside and we were ready to leave. Breakfast was not served until 9:00, which would have been another 1.5 hrs.......maybe they should change the listing to Bed and Brunch??? Their website mentions either a full country breakfast or pancakes......I would be willing to bet that it is more like pancakes daily, with an occasional full country beakfast.

Bottom line is that if you want a Days Inn/Best Western room with a great view....this is it. But, for the $128 it cost us, I would recommend staying at a quality hotel/motel and stopping at a mountain overlook for the view. Without some major changes, this B&B should never be priced more than $80 plus taxes.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DaChief
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Days Inn Of Centre
#2 of 7 in Fort Payne
Chesnut Bay Resort
Chesnut Bay Resort
#1 of 2 in Leesburg

Been to The Secret Bed and Breakfast Lodge? Share your experiences!