“A frequent choice”

Yamato Steak House of Japan
Ranked #12 of 39 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I live in Jacksonville and eat here about once a month, maybe a little less. The food is very flavorful and service is good. They have both lunch & dinner menus. Dinner for two people, with sushi appetizer, usually runs us $40-50.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

So, my son really likes this place and we decided to check it out. Pretty small parking lot, and is right next to Waffle House, and a block from the JSU campus. The interior decor has the traditional touches of making it seem Japanese - you know - the 3 paneled black lacquer dividers, some lamp shades, pictures of Mt. Fuji or whatever. Seriously.

The server was very nice, and the service was fast enough. Whatever I ordered was unremarkable, but eatable...oh I do remember! It was an oiled salmon dish. I say that because the salmon, veggies, and rice was great once I scraped off all the cooking oils the chef used. It was WAY to much, and almost, but not quite ruined the meal.

One aspect of Yamato I did not care for at all was when one of the cooks took a booth opposite us and proceeded to chow down on his personal concoction dinner. I mean, eat in the kitchen or anyplace other than with the customers, dude-san. Brutal, I know, but there is no excuse for that.

BUT, I kept my thoughts of the oily food to myself at the time, (after all, is that not what tripadvisor reviews is for?), and just enjoyed the great company of my kids. In that respect, the eat was great.

I do not recall eating such fare when I visited Japan. Whatever, maybe it's just the chef's twist on things. Next.

1  Thank TaulPaul