“Little Town Big Flavor”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 28, 2009

OK...so it's small town Alabama but it is a big city taste. For a unique dining experience it is worth it. You will walk out at about 20 dollars each for the basic dinner meal and around 12-15 at lunch. This is good food not fast food...so anyone reading the reviews for Effina's there it is...it's pricey for the area but as good as food as you'll get. The servings are just about big enough for two though. They take pride in service and atmosphere. The grill is open but that adds to the feel of seeing your food prepared. There is an upstairs you can ask for if you want quiet. OK about the bread...you get a basic basket of fresh bread with olive oil and seasoning. If you want more just ask...it's no problem. They tend to get busy because it is a good restaraunt and some times there can be up to a half hour wait. They have somewhat unusual plates from time to time but it's always good. Pricey doesn't mean bad it just means you get good fresh food prepared right before you. I didn't give Excellent only because it is about 5 dollars more per person than I would normally spend but if you got it...spend it here. YOU WILL BE SATISFIED

J Ray

Reviewed April 2, 2009

As a local to Jacksonville, you can imagine my excitement when I saw that we were getting an Italian restaurant. I was hoping for a nice sit down restaurant that my fiance and I could eat at on nights we didn't want to travel to Oxford. What we got was an outrageously overpriced restaurant. Sure the food is amazing, but what good is that when the only thing I can afford is the cheapest thing on the menu? Dinner starts off with bread wedges and olive oil which was very tasty but at a table of 3 the waitress only gave us about 5 wedges and no refills...I was very disappointed,especially when I saw that I would be spending about 20.00 just to feed myself and management didn't see it fit to give us more bread than that. The waitress was annoying. She seemed overly eager and either ignored us completely (someone else had to give us our food because she was nowhere to be found and it took about 30 minutes after we ate for her to show up and give us the check) or would not leave us alone.

While the food was great after that trip I decided to not return until management does something about the outrageous prices! An example is mahi mahi for 17.95. I work in a grocery store, one serving of Mahi Mahi is NOT 17.95 one could buy a LOT of Mahi Mahi for that and cook it at home.

Another complaint I have is that the restaurant closes at 9:00 but stops taking customers at 8:30.

5  Thank supervixen87
Reviewed March 12, 2009

Our family goes to Effina’s often and we take our out-of-town company there as well. (It is about the only restaurant in J’ville that I would take out of town visitors to.) The restaurant is near perfection! The restaurant building is charming. The large windows make it sunny and cheery for lunch, but the design is still intimate and cozy in the evening. I am glad it is not some huge place that caters to hordes of people with vast bowls of iceberg lettuce and salty/oily bread sticks. The food at Effina’s has “taste” each dish really does taste different – I have tried many things on the menu and have yet to be disappointed. The prices range from $6 to $22ish. My husband loves the $6 pizza! Even though it is not exactly a “kid place” the staff and kitchen have always gladly accommodated our 5 yr olds requests. The staff is very good – all are trained well in customer service and exhibit knowledge about the menu. This is the type of restaurant that you expect to find in an upscale urban setting – excellent ingredients, classy atmosphere with likable staff. Thank goodness it is in Jacksonville.

Reviewed February 20, 2009

You owe yourself to try and go back. They have now got a new lunch menu with very reasonable prices and you get a lot of food.
Their shrimp and grits are to die for. There's nothing that we have had that wasn't excellent.

Reviewed January 24, 2009

My wife and I enjoy Effina's regularly. The open kitchen is part of the charm of a Tuscan Grille. The food is excellent, and the price is less than you would pay for the same dishes in a larger city. Try the Grouper, you will not be sorry.

If noise bothers you, just ask for a table away from the kitchen. There is usually a wait for dinner on the weekends but that is to be expected for food this good.

Do yourself a favor, check it out.

1  Thank albirdman