“This was the worst!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Irondale
Summerville, South Carolina
“This was the worst!”
Reviewed October 27, 2010

This is by far the worst Holiday Inn Express I have stayed in. The front desk clerk was very unprofessional. This location advertises hot coffee 24 hrs. The coffee was made that morning and we arrived at 5:30pm. Desk clerk was unaware if they even had coffee prepared, needless to say the coffee was not hot. We get to the room, large stains on the carpet, curtains smelled of dust, air conditioner was so noisy you couldn't hear television. We finally turned off the ac unit and it smelled of burnt hair. I have never stayed in a hotel/motel where you can hear the guest in the next room use the restroom as you could there. The parking lot was extremely dark. Contacted Holiday Inn and Gen Mgr of this location was to contact me, didn't happen. It is very over priced for what they offer. We were so upset with the room we let at 5:00am.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Menard81
StaySmrtIrndale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. My name is Dave Mastroni and I am the new General Manager here at the property. We obviously could have done much better with your stay and will always look to improve the service when we fail to exceed guest expectations. I have addressed the issues with the appropriate departments and team members and feel confident the issues in regard to your stay have been resolved. If we can ever be of service when you are in the area again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

At Your Service,

Dave Mastroni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Texas
Reviewed June 27, 2010

We were on our last leg of our trip and happened to stumble upon this hotel while trying to find another one. I am glad we did! It had to queen beds, the room was clean, the pool was nice, the breakfast was superb, and the staff were super nice. I would definately make a point of staying here again if ever in the region. As a walk-in, they gave a great price for the room and the check-in lady was awesome (wish I could remember her name).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Colorado
Reviewed June 14, 2010

We arrived in the evening after making a reservation over the phone earlier the same day. My family and I were greeted warmly by the front desk staff. After checking in, we entered our room only to find the air on full blast, likely done in order to cover up the overpowering smell of air freshener masking a pungent cigarette smoke odor. The room did not look clean and the pillows smelled awful. We were on a nonsmoking floor specifically because I suffer from allergic reactions to smoke and my family member from chronic asthma. We requested another room, and the front desk staff was willing to try to assist us by recommending another hotel or offering two separate rooms, as no other rooms with two separate beds were available. Though these rooms were much better, we were greeted by a bug and a creaky bed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Southern Hospitality at it's best !!!!! We came for the Talladega races and being right on I-20 we had perfect access to the track. What struck us though was the staff, James and Ashley and all were just super !!! These folks even kept the breakfast bar open 'till noon the Saturday the races were rained out !!! Nice to munch a cinnamon roll while watching it rain!!
Rooms were clean, comfortable, and fully functional in every way. Very clean grounds and sufficient parking too. All in all a pleasant experience !! Thanks guys and gals, we'll be back again !!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FASTLANEJC
Cold Spring, KY
Reviewed March 20, 2010

The staff and the cleanliness of this hotel is the best I have visited in many years!
The staff at the desk and in the breakfast area are so helpful and friendly; they make you
feel like family!
It is only 2 miles to the EWTN property with only 1 traffic light! You receive a very
discounted rate if you let them know that you are a EWTN pilgrim.
The breakfast area was large and very clean. The nice lady working made many
of us bacon as a special request; so is so friendly and caring especially to elerly
people (like my 85-year-old mother who loved her)!

If I go back to the Birmingham area, I would DEFINITELY STAY at this hotel!
The beds are also very comfortable and well as the different types of pillows!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Had a nice one-night stay at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham-Irondale. It seemed like a newer property, so it was rather clean, with newer furniture, etc. The free continent breakfast was a nice touch. The beds were soft and the bathroom was also very clean.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We stayed two nights at the hotel after a family reunion about two hours away. On my first impression, the lobby is very clean and showed very tasteful decor. Staff at the reservations desk were very friendly and helpful, and very personable. Our room was very clean and also showed very tasteful decor. The bathroom contained the usual amenities and lots of towels. The bed sheets were soft and clean and the bed provided very comfortable sleeping conditions. The only thing missing in the room was a small refrigerator, but we were able to do without. Continental breakfast was pretty good, coffee and juices, pastries and even hot breakfast. And it varied each day. One morning I had a very simple cheese omelette and hot buiscuits. The next day I had scrambled eggs and bacon. Other breakfast items were also offered on each day (hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, toast, cereal,etc.) The hotel was reasonably priced, and I would gladly go back again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irondale
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham East Irondale
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#47 of 79 in Birmingham
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport
Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southeast
Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham SE/Liberty Park

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!