“Clean but otherwise low-end Hampton”
Review of Clarion Inn

Clarion Inn
Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed December 3, 2007

I am a Hilton Diamond member, and earned at least half of that status at Hampton Inns across the country. However, this property is not one of their better properties, although it's obvious that the owners put a lot of effort into revamping what appears to have been a budget motel at one time.

As a female traveling on business alone, I don't care for their exterior hallway entrances into the rooms. At night some intoxicated men were on the balcony hallway arguing, and I doubt any cameras were present, as one might find in a hotel with interior hallways.

The furniture was shabby, and the room was small, but the carpeting and bathroom looked brand new. The internet service was hard-wired and worked well. The room was very clean with a really comfy bed - ironically better than other Hamptons.

The air conditioning ran sporadically, so I had some trouble sleeping because the temp seemed to cycle hot and cold. I didn't bother calling the desk because the staff whom I encountered seemed nice enough but not really on the ball.

The location is noisy but convenient to restaurants and shopping.

It wasn't a bad property, but when I return to Huntsville, this will not be my first choice. Hampton Inns normally have consistently good quality, and while this one tries, it doesn't really measure up.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank shortysnh

Reviewed October 29, 2007

Without a doubt, the oldest, least appealing Hampton Inn I've ever stayed at.

Doors open to the outside like an Econo Lodge.

Old buildings and fixtures in the rooms were not clean (microwave, etc).

at $79 per night I was excited to get the reservation; however instead of the usual sterile, updated Hampton Inn comfort and style..........I ended up in a place far below my standards of "a comfortable hotel".

Embasy suites was about 130/night and we were actually regrettful we didn't just shell out the extra cash.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2007

I stayed two weeks here with some colleagues and it was by far one of the best hotels I've stayed in. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had the fortune for getting a government rate (around 80 dollars), and it was such a bargain. The free breakfast was nothing short of an IHOP. The lobby had fresh coffee brewing all day for a quick pick-me-up. The rooms were very spacious, clean, and equipped with jacuzzi tubs. All in all it was a good home away from home. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2007

Me and a co-worker just walked in on a Sat night, 21:30 covered in coal dust from working on the RR all day and they had rooms for us.
And it was only 80 per room. They had a good breakfast and we got our wake-up calls.
We ate at a Chilis right next door walked on over and that was good as well.
Good showers, with good water pressure, nice bed comforters.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Andrew73
Reviewed June 26, 2007

This property is not up to Hampton standards. However, while I found several problems, I also found a few excellent things to point out. The location is great, convenient to everything, shopping, dining, Space Center, etc. Upon check in, we were greeted by a less than enthusiastic desk clerk, who made it clear we were interrupting his TV time and talking with a female. He provided us with no information, just checked us in. I had to pull information out of him about where to eat, breakfast time, room location, etc., very uncharacteristic for a Hampton Inn. Rooms open to the outside, and there were no curtains, just some sort of wooden window slats that allow people to see inside your room. However, the room was very clean, well stocked, and all equipment in the room worked. Internet service in the rooms is via an ethernet connection, so the service was fast and reliable. The swimming pool was filthy, with trash floating in the water and on the pool bottom. The skimmers were also full of trash, and a large black greasy ring was all around the pool at the water line, disgusting. Worse yet, the front desk clerk could care less, when we reported how filthy the pool was. Breakfast was excellent, with a large selection and very tasty. Overall, employees at this hotel are not friendly and not overly courteous, which is unusual for a Hampton Inn. The final insult was when we checked out. There was no clerk at the desk, so I found another employee, who went behind the desk and found the clerk busy with a female member of the housekeeping staff. I will let you fill in the blanks as to what he was doing. Moreover, he made no appology for his behavior and lack of attention to guests and was actually somewhat rude. In my opinion, it is clear that this property could use an effective manager. There is a serious problem here with employee training, especially in basic courtesy and attention to job details.

• Stayed: June 2007
9  Thank Cruiser100
Reviewed February 5, 2007

Stayed at this Hampton Inn with two others for business at Redstone Arsenal (about 10 minutes away). Check-in was smooth, check-in staff friendly & jovial, nice after a long drive. Rooms were clean and in good condition. Hotel is older but has been remodeled. Beds are in good shape. My only complaint was the size of the bathroom, a little on the small side. Breakfast was included and of good variety. Hot & fresh. Fresh cookies at night were nice. Hotel is convenient to lots of big name stores and restuarants. Chilies and a local place next to the property, easy to grab a bite. For Mexican, try Rosies, a few miles from the hotel. Great food & margaritas, try the Mexican lasagna for something a little different (lots of cheese). Didn't notice the noise others have reported. Pool & spa looked inviting but did not partake. I've stayed at this property in the past and would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Nuttree
Reviewed January 15, 2007

As far as Hampton Inns go, this was just average property. Rooms did have updated bedding. Room was large.

Part of the hotel had outside entrances while another section had indoor corridors. I stayed in indoor section.

Staff was not overly friendly. While I didn't have any problems, nothing spectacular about this hotel either.

Breakfast was not as good as many properties that I have stayed at in the past.

If I had to stay in Huntsville again, I would choose another location.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business