“Not really worth the price”

Huntsville Marriott at the Space & Rocket Center
Ranked #18 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Gilbertown, Alabama
“Not really worth the price”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Spent the night at the Huntsville Mariott on April 25th 2014. Nice hotel and friendly staff. The hotel could stand to be remodeled . The bathtub looks like it is from the 1960's. I guess I am being picky but at nearly $200 a night I am going to be picky. They charge for wifi and there is no refrigerator in the room. There could also update the pillows and the t.p in the bathroom is some kind of government issue tissue. If I am going to pay what I paid to stay here, I want to feel that I got my money's worth and I feel like the name MARRIOTT is what I paid for

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank clintfranks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I stayed here for a week while my students were at Space Camp at the Space and Rocket Center. The room was nice and clean, but the hotel clearly needs some work. I just looks quite run down. A lot of the locks on the outside doors are broken which is a safety issue. The patio had old chairs and spider webs everywhere. In addition to being an older hotel, the price is ridiculous for the property. If my job wouldn't have been paying, I definitely would not stay here. They even charge a per day fee for wi-fi. In this day in age, that is ridiculous. The pool was decent, but pretty small. It wasn't super clean. I did like the location. I could walk over to the Space and Rocket Center each day with no trouble at all. We usually stay here once a year because of the location, but they definitely need to upgrade if they are going to continue charging such a steep price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed May 19, 2014

OK, so first the positives. The bed and pillows were as comfy as usual for Marriott. The shower was great (water pressure, heat, etc). The people at check in and out were super friendly. Everything you expect from Marriott. Nice location if you are wanting to go to the space museum - good view from my window of the rockets!

The biggest complaint I had was with the benefits from the rewards program. First, I forgot the concierge lounge would be closed on the weekend. They did leave some water which was nice. The big issue I had was usually when the lounge is closed there is a free breakfast at the restaurant. This was the case, but it was very limited. When we sat down, they told me we could either have a free basic buffet (bread and fruit) or if we wanted eggs and pancakes/french toast, etc, that was the "bigger" buffet and would cost extra. Just disappointing. Nice service and the food was okay, but not what I am used to with the other Marriotts I have been to.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Yorktown, Va
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We were looking forward to our trip through Huntsville, AL and seeing the museum. When we arrived we found out that neither Wifi or breakfast was included in our stay. My husband was here for a meeting so we didn't book the hotel. For the price I would expect a LOT more... No jacuzzi, really loud kids (about 20) at the pool until 10, about $10 for a mixed drink at the bar, and a ridiculously overpriced pretentious "steakhouse". The rooms were spacious, the indoor/outdoor pool was pretty, the staff was helpful and personable, and it was all within walking distance to the museum. The lack of security was surprising as you can enter through any door without a room card. If convenience is important stay here otherwise head over to the hotels on University Dr. which are closer to places to eat and other entertainment.

Room Tip: Stay in a room overlooking the pool and avoid the cabanas unless you want a balcony.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed April 25, 2014

The Marriott of Tranquility Bay is certainly showing its age. Step out of the remodeled reception area into a wood paneled elevator, complete with infinity mirrors. Take a slow ride to your room and check out the mismatched furniture and the pink tile behind the bath tub, all clues that this building has been there a while.

In a bizarre design choice the architects seem to have forgotten that most patrons have two legs, and elected to place the commode right against the wall, leaving no space for your left leg. To compound this original act of stupidity another bright spark placed two toilet roll holders in what little space there is forcing you to kind of sit sideways. It's bad enough for a man, but if you happen to be a woman with hips, good luck.

Down in the restaurant the age really shows though. It's dark and dingy in there. The food lacks imagination and attention to detail, as does the decor. At the host stand two framed reviews of the hotel restaurant inform us that in 1999 and 2001 a local newspaper awarded them a coveted three and a half forks! Always pretty scary when a restaurant still brags about mediocrity from over a decade ago!

Keep in mind also that if you happen not to have a rental car, you are going to have to rely on the hotel food and snack shop because there is nothing within walking distance, except the space center.

I found my room lacked air for want of a better expression. The aging air conditioning system had instructions on it explaining that simply inputting the temperature won't work. You must add three degrees if you are heating and subtract three degrees if you are cooling. However you set it, the air just doesn't feel fresh; just recycled like on a plane.

On the upside, the Internet isn't too slow, but expect to pay for that if you don't have status. The beds are comfy. The views east are restful, overlooking trees and grass.

If you manage to score a room on the west side of the hotel you'll get to see the space center, which I'm sure looks stunning during a good sunset. Sadly that side was fully booked when I checked in, so I never got to see it.

Ultimately for the right price this would be an okay hotel. But once the price creeps up and knocks on the door of $200 I start to feel cheated. This is a hotel that has had a free ride because people trust the Marriott name and want the convenience of being right next door to the space center.

But hey, as long as people keep paying the prices, there can't be much incentive to change.

Room Tip: If you want to look at rockets, you want to be high on the main tower looking west. If you're o...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank ZCT808
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a section of the hotel that does not allow you to reach the front desk without going outside, you cant reach the front desk without walking outside through a dimly lit corridor, the locks securing this part of the hotel called (Cabanas) did not work at all, anyone could walk into this part of the hotel, and not even go through the front lobby, the door was wide open and the lock was broken in this section of hotel.

There are sliding glass doors in this (Cabana)section and the locks are cheap and shoddy, they put a cheap aluminum rod in the sliding glass door, but there was no bolt to hold down the rod, this hotel has some security issues that would prevent me from recommending it to female travelers or families, i travel with licensed security, but otherwise i just could not tell a family or female traveling alone to stay here. I would not want my mother staying in this Cabana section alone.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Chicago2772
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Had a nice one night stay with a beautiful view from our room. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. They had a box of toys that absolutely thrilled my two year old grandson! Rooms are nice and large, with pretty fixtures. Beds are comfortable. We ordered room service and the food was tasty and reasonable.

Room Tip: Tell them you want a view of the Space and Rocket Center.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family