“Marriott Huntsville needs some TLC” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Huntsville Marriott

Huntsville Marriott
Ranked #17 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Atlanta
“Marriott Huntsville needs some TLC”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

We visited Huntsville this past weekend as part of a Cub Scout pack visiting the Space Camp. We ended up bringing the whole family of 6, so opted to stay in the nearby Marriott instead of cramming into the bunks with the other 100 scouts and their dads. We were pretty disappointed, since our experience with Marriott is usually very top notch. This hotel was not very clean, outdated, and the service level was mediocre, especially for a Saturday night.
We checked in around 5:30 in the afternoon, and as we made our way to the room on the fourth floor, were surprised to see all of the dirty dishes still in the hallway from that morning's breakfast room service. After checking in, we went down the street for dinner, and then came back to the hotel so the kids could swim in the indoor pool. The pool area was not clean at all, dimly lit, and there were towels and other items left behind by previous guests all around, so it seemed that the place had not been tidied up for some time. The hot tub water was mirky and there were towels sunk to the bottom of it. The stand for clean towels was empty. and the pool bathrooms did not appear to have been cleaned for some time.
Afterwards, we joined some friends at Porter's, the onsite restaurant. It was dead except for our friends, but yet it took a very long time to get service. Once the food was ordered, it took a long time to cook, and was not very good.
Otherwise, the hotel looked and felt outdated - carpet, wallpaper etc. The beds in the room were a little on the worn out side, as were the sheets and pillows.

I hate to complain, as we are big fans of the Marriott properties. This one unfortunately was a combination of poor cleanliness, mediocre service, and a stark need for renovation.

Room Tip: We asked for a suite, but learned that all the rooms are the same size.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mark S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Lawrenceville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice in the past couple of months. The rooms are clean and comfortable but the bathrooms are in need of updating. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, service is excellent. Both stays were quiet and relaxing. The location, adjacent to the Space & Rocket Center and easy access to I-565, couldn't be better. Although I will most likely stay at this hotel again in the future, I would like to see the lobby renovated w/new furniture and a bit more attention paid to grounds/parking lot maintenance.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel has come a long way and now feels a little more like a Marriott. The renovations don't show (The rooms look new instead of old but renovated.) The hotel still has a long way to go, though, and they just barely made four stars. Here's why:

I have always liked this hotel for it's service and the fact that it has two restaurants, but as far as cleanliness and how nice the facilities were, it deserved about 2.5 stars. this hotel was in deep need of a renovation. Now, however, it has been renovated and renovated right for that matter. The only signs of it's age are in the lobby and downstairs areas, which have not yet been renovated but will be soon. The rooms look like that of a new hotel, that is, except for the vanity being outside of the bathroom and the tiles in the bathroom, but those are pretty minor (they do, however, downgrade the rooms to four stars.)

The rooms and the food at this hotel are priced very reasonably (this is why I gave it five stars for value.) Especially since the service is very good, obviously it isn't Ritz-Carlton service but everyone was nice. I did, however, feel like there wasn't enough staff, nobody to open your car door, one person at the front desk, no concierge, no bellmen (at least to my knowledge.) The place felt a little abandoned and just didn't feel like a real Marriott.

As far as location goes, the Huntsville Marriott is in a very good location for both business and leisure. It is literally right next door to the U.S. Space and Rocket Center and just a short drive away from Bridge Street and Research Park. If you were wondering about kid's activities, they have a very nice indoor-outdoor pool, but that is it.

Overall, this hotel still has a long way to go, and it just barely made four stars.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family stayed here for the first time and had a great experience. Room was clean and comfortable, pool was nice and warm, room service was great! Best crabs cakes I have ever had:) The only negative I have to say is that the feminine products were out in the lobby bathroom and never refilled during my stay after several request, but no big deal as there are plenty of spots close by to pick them up. Also the business office was very helpful, printer and internet worked great. Will def stay here again next time we are in Huntsville.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with children, ask for a view of the space center:)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Huntsville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have mixed feelings about the Marriott because I had a great stay here, but it could have been better.

I love what they've done as far as decorating, service amenities, location, views, and all that. However, I don't think Marriott is living up to what it could be.

The building itself is old. The outside views and pool area need some serious help. We opened our window and had an awesome view of the rockets when you look straight out, but then you look down to look at the garden/pool area and it's so ugly. Granted, our stay was in middle of December, but I still think they should have a nicer area. The pool furniture looked about 10 years old. There was a random space full of rocks outside our window and it looked more like a warehouse roof than a view from a respected hotel.

The build of the room was also old and needed to be re-done. I could see where they tried to make the furniture and everything else INSIDE the room nice, but the bottom line is the appliances and walls were too old and a little cramped.

But with all the "not so nice stuff" out of the way: I LOVED the bedding set they had on our bed. It was fresh and fun! I also loved all the different pillows there. We slept so well!

They also have a nice coffee set up in the room which I like because I love coffee! The cups they had set out were not the regular styro foam cup, but the fancy almost plastic cups with lids! I really enjoyed that and was able to take my coffee with me when I left.

The toilet was nice and they had a new toilet that gave you the option to save water when you flushed. So that was pretty neat.

As for breakfast you do have to pay to have a meal. But I ordered the breakfast BLT and it was really good and worth the money we paid.

I would have like to have had lotion as 1 of my house keeping items, but was only provided shampoo & conditioner and of course bar soap.

Overall it was a nice stay. The things that I'd change are topical, but I think because of the location and this being an Aerospace town- whoever is in charge should really think about remodeling entirely. Walls and pool and everthing. I think if this place was new and nicer people would, and could, pay more money to stay there. Just my thoughts.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I had a clean, quiet room with a view of real NASA rocketships! The location is convenient to anything you might want to do in and around Huntsville. The Marriott offers convenient parking and great service, too.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Cumming, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Super clean, awesome staff, comfy beds and pillows. Only saw one flaw, coffee in room is bitter. I couldn't put enough cream in it. Order room service for delicious coffee. We were there for Thanksgiving holiday. The Marriott makes it a home away from home. The thanksgiving buffet was OUT OF THIS WORLD AMAZING. Way to go. Bravo to the chefs. Happy Holidays....

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple